FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Play magazine R.I.P.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:50 am  Reply with quote

Looks like my last gaming magazine is shutting down. It's sad because the folks at Play were the last editors who I felt still actually ENJOYED videogames. Everyone else in the mag industry strikes me as overzealously doing their critiqueing job or pandering to high-dollar publishers. I'm hoping to see some of them elsewhere in the gaming field. Good luck, people.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:51 am  Reply with quote

Heather is gonna leave me hanging isn't she? I have a feeling she's gonna go with Dave. It's not so much a death to me as itr is a rebirth. Coverage on films will help them. Just stop covering such niche games that only 20% of gamers are interested in. At least that's why I stopped reading them about 2 years ago or so.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Just stop covering such niche games that only 20% of gamers are interested in.

That's the problem with the industry today...too many gamers think like this. That was one of the best things about Play, that they covered the cool smaller titles that no one else would. Even though a majority of gamers would rather just see more coverage of GTA IV and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Just think if horror media started covering only popular stuff like "Underworld" and "Saw" and started completely ignoring lesser-known films like "The Burrowers" and "Martyrs". Would you feel the same way then?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:49 pm  Reply with quote

MethRattle wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
Just stop covering such niche games that only 20% of gamers are interested in.

That's the problem with the industry today...too many gamers think like this. That was one of the best things about Play, that they covered the cool smaller titles that no one else would. Even though a majority of gamers would rather just see more coverage of GTA IV and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Just think if horror media started covering only popular stuff like "Underworld" and "Saw" and started completely ignoring lesser-known films like "The Burrowers" and "Martyrs". Would you feel the same way then?

No I hate Fangoria remember?

I am doing everything I can to get in touch with Dave. Zoogicub would not leave me alone whn it came to him trying to convince me that I should be writing the music section for Play. On and on he went after I told him, flat-out no because I didn't think I could do it.

Time has gone by and now they want to cover movies and I want to be a part of it. I can do it. Sure, for me, it takes work. But it's still fun and I am not going to let one more opportunnity get by me like I have in the past. I need to talk to Dave once. Hell, I have no problem being a freelancer for awhile as long as that if I improve enough that I eventually become part of the magazine. Besides getting the job I'm up for I want to work on a Dave Halverson magazine. And hopefully with Heather. I'm not so much hopeful right now as I am adamant.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:30 pm  Reply with quote

I'll check out Dave's new mag, because I appreciate his point-of-view on games. He LIKES them, no apologies. If I want a list of every single fault a game has, any number of other game sites (and what mags remain) can easily list them for me...because that's all they do now. Because that's what today's gamer wants to know: Is it at least 12 hours long? Does it also have a multiplayer mode? Are the graphics better than that AAA game that came out last month? That's why I like Dave (Heather and Eric are good with that, too). His enthusiasm lets me know whether or not I'm going to have fun playing a game, not how many things there might be that I won't like. "But I don't wanna pay $60 for a game I don't like!" - then do more homework (besides, you probably just got it used with trade credits at GameStop anyway).

Floydian Trip wrote:
I'm not so much hopeful right now as I am adamant.

Just be careful not to overplay it. There's a fine line between aggressive and pushy.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:01 am  Reply with quote

Damn, this is news to me. I haven't bought an issue in a long time (always been a EGM boy) but I did like how they covered lesser-know games and imports. It's a crying shame this goes under yet that piece 'o shit Gamepro still chugs along.
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

PRINT IS DEAD
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

How could you call Gamepro a POS? It is a pillar of the gaming community. Annoyed
MethRattle
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

GamePro isn't as bad as GameStop Informer or EGM before it died, but it's not that good, either.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:44 am  Reply with quote

MethRattle wrote:
GamePro isn't as bad as GameStop Informer or EGM before it died, but it's not that good, either.

Is Frank gonna have to choke a bitch? Gamepro better than EGM?! Hersey! Black magic! WITCH!!
Four (and later three) reviews are always better than one if you ask me. And it had that great comic Han and Shu, I believe it was called. You know, the one with the radioactive hamster, Chernobyl. It always felt more mature than Gamepro, especially in the 90's and early 00's. Shame on you Meth, shame on you.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:38 am  Reply with quote

Believe me, I'm no big fan of GamePro. And once upon a time I WAS a big fan of EGM...last decade, when they were still a good gaming mag. The multi-view review was genius. They just started a downhill trend this past decade that got more steep each year. Around 2002-2003 is when I started noticing that they were far more interested in the games that their advertisers were publishing than anything else on the market. They also put a huge emphasis on pandering to the Xtreme 18-to-24 demographic in an embarrasing way (first time I ever mailed a complaint to a magazine). The rampant sexism in the mag reached a ridiculous level for a 'mainstream' magazine, and this is coming from a big fan of PSM's yearly swimsuit issue. Everything just got worse once Shoe was in charge. A cynical negativity toward games arose that was offensive to me. EGM sank so low that I just let my subscription expire. I guess I kinda felt the way Floyd does towards Fangoria...it was once great, but now death would be welcome and merciful.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:06 am  Reply with quote

I didn't mind the juvenile humor of it. Light reading was all it was, and sometimes Frank is a fan of dick 'n fart humor.

I didn't get the cynical negativity, as you put it. I liked Shoe, as he was one of the few old-timers left at that point. I might have some lingering fanboy devotion to the mag, but I still think it was one of the best. Plus, it had crossword puzzles!

So what game site do you frequent? I find Gamesradar pretty good. Some of their articles get too goofy even for me, but the news is always current.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

I'm really dissapointed to see play go under:(

I grew up with egm, but mainly stick to the console specific mags.