Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Lost season six
ajburton29
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:02 am  Reply with quote

Meh. Neutral
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:06 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

My initial reactions:

I dug it. Can't wait to see ol' Smoke tearing it up, these next few episodes. You know he's going to be making a move on that temple, and probably soon.

I also wonder what the hell he's planning to do with Alpert. Whatever the hell it is, it probably doesn't bode well for the rest of the people on the island.

Although, that "I just want to go home" line has me kind of worried. That sort of points to the big pay-off going one of three, maybe four ways - all variants on the whole "Paradise Lost" scenario.

Cool to see all the folks who've died over the years alive and kicking in timeline B. It's gonna be interesting to see where this goes. I'm just hoping the internet theories aren't right, and that this doesn't turn into Final Destination, with everyone who's meant to be dead dying one by one, in the order in which they died in timeline A. Sure, it'd make sense, but it'd still feel a little trite.

The biggest gripe I can really think of, right now, is that the CGI in that underwater cut scene was fucking AWFUL. Even by Lost standards. I felt like I was watching an something from an old PS1 copy of Tomb Raider.

But, that's a pretty minor quibble.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:54 am  Reply with quote

Maybe the smoke monster is married to Cloverfield?
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:35 am  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Which one's your mom?
The Buz
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:25 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Holy shit.

Lost has made its triumphant return.

My only complaint is:

SPOILER:

Did they really have to put us through Juliett dying...again. That wasn't cool. I can't take much more of that shit.

END SPOILER.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
Which one's your mom?

The one that wouldn't have anything to do with your unwashed hippy ass.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:37 am  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

I'll cut you, 'bama.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:04 am  Reply with quote

Bring it, Josiah.

I've got a baseball bat with your name on it.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

It's awesome now that we get whey Smokey didn't kill Locke waaaaaay back in Season 1, and how it manipulated Ben into pledging allegiance to Locke last season.

But didn't the monster come across a bit mechanical back in earlier seasons?
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

ok, finally watched it... thoughts?

A. the cgi was terrible in the opening... gah
B. Juliette dying all over again... not sure this will stick, because what's the point of wasting 20 minutes on it when there is so much to do in this final season?
C. Fuck yeah to Hurley seeing and talking to Jacob... bad ass
D. It worked? So the alternate reality where all is hunky dory is the REAL reality? what does that mean for the versions still on the island?
E. I still love Miles, although he was extremely subdued this episode.
F. Fucking Ben still rules face... "and you are...?"
G. Poor Locke... his character arc ends with him being just as much a manipulated loser as he started out as...
H. Terry O'Quinn absolutely owns... can't wait to see him as the big baddy. So the smoke monster WASN'T cerebus aka security system? nice... and the salt (I assume it's salt, to keep out spirits) around the cabin is explained... I love how it used the environment to break the one "bodyguard's" circle to get at him... awesome stuff.

all in all, probably the most lackluster season opener of all of them, but still awesome nonetheless. Jack is gonna fix Locke in the "it worked" timeline? nice.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:51 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Yeah, I'm digging on Hurley's acceptance of his ability to see the dead, too. Very cool.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:03 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

And, from what I can tell, timeline B (or Universe B ... or whatever) is adhering to the "what if had I zigged every time I should have zagged?" notion of alternate realities.

Aside from what I'm guessing are the unavoidable acts of 'fate' in one's life (Everybody ending up on that same plane, for one thing - or Locke ending up in the wheelchair) that are just going to happen regardless, everything about their lives, every decision they've made or will make in this alternate timeline will have been the exact opposite of what we know from the last 5 years of the show.

Which means: Shannon never left that douche in Australia, Hurley's got good luck, Claire decided to go to LA and give her all-important (or, at this point, have we completely forgotten about all the "YOU NEED TO RAISE HIM!!!" nonsense) baby away, Jack's all "nothing's irreversible" rather than his usual "that's impossible!" etc ...

Basic Earth 2 stuff.

Although, I've got no idea how the hell they're going to converge these two. Kind of having trouble wrapping my head around that, but that's half the fun of watching, right?
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

It was awesome.

As for Julia dying twice? She only died once. She was alive when she hit the bomb and if the bomb didn't kill everyone else around it makes sense that it didn't kill her. So, in order to wrap that storyline up they had that scene. Though I thought the scene with her falling into the well in the finale of last season held much more weight. The one thing I truly loved about it was Sawyer's renewed hatred for Jack and it seems to have a fire unlike anything before. Can't wait to see it unfold.
David
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:26 am  Reply with quote

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
Although, I've got no idea how the hell they're going to converge these two. Kind of having trouble wrapping my head around that, but that's half the fun of watching, right?

I was thinking the alternate time line at LAX may be showing us what happens after the end game takes place on the island. That's probably wrong, because why would Juliet say "It worked." right away? Temporal paradoxes, man, the possibilities boggle my mind.

The fact that John Locke has been manipulated into thinking he was somebody special this entire time makes me sad. Especially when bad Locke told Ben what was running through his mind when he died: "I don't understand."

My favorite part of the opener was the realization that the whispers we've been hearing since season one were the work of jungle ninjas.
The Buz
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:32 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

David wrote:

The fact that John Locke has been manipulated into thinking he was somebody special this entire time makes me sad. Especially when bad Locke told Ben what was running through his mind when he died: "I don't understand."

That is absolutely heartbreaking. Sad