Universal & Timur Bekmambetov Team For 5 More Screenlife Flicks Like UNFRIENDED & SEARCHING

Universal and producer Timur Bekmambetov (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter) have made a deal to partner on five more films shot in the Screenlife format.

For those that might not know, Screenlife is (basically) a new name for found footage and is described as “a disruptive form of storytelling that eschews traditional cameras for methods that visually drive the narrative through stories that unfold from the POV of smartphones and computer screens.”

Examples include Unfriended and Searching.

And today Bekmambetov told Deadline he has 50 Screenlife projects in the works, such as a Gen Z take on Romeo and Juliet and a sequel to Searching.

That said, Universal hasn’t focused on which five films will come under the deal.

He says: “It’s a slate deal. I know; they don’t yet. We agreed it will be five Screenlife movies in different genres, and of course, I will discuss with them the cast and the directors, but they trust me. Because every Screenlife movie we’ve made was successful in different ways, some creatively and some commercially, and because it’s a new language. We know there will be romantic comedies, sci-fi, horror, fantasy, and detective stories like Searching. These will be very relatable to audiences that absolutely understand this language because it’s how we live.”

Are you up for more found footage Screenlife movies? Make sure to let us know what you think in the comments below or over on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram!

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: