FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Mass Effect 2
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:35 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody? I think I could actually go for an epic space adventure right now.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:00 am  Reply with quote

Loved the first one, but for the life of me I can't get excited about this one. Maybe it's the overly "hip" commercials, my fear of the same old same old or just being burned out on Dragon Age. Besides, I'm having a hell of a time playing Serious Sam HD. Love it love it.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

Serious Sam is great. So old school.

It's either this or Guitar Hero Van Halen.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:43 am  Reply with quote

I picked this up. I've gotta see these graphics. I actually didn't come anywhere near finishing the first because I had some serious issues with it. All the reviews I've read though have specifically mentioned all of my complaints and Bioware has fixed them. This sounds like the game I was expecting the first time around.

And fuck Bioshock 2!
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:49 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
And fuck Bioshock 2!

You're going to Hell, mister.
CMax
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:18 am  Reply with quote

MethRattle wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
And fuck Bioshock 2!

You're going to Hell, mister.

Then I'm going with him; I couldn't give a shit about Bioshock 2. I fucking hated the first one.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:20 am  Reply with quote

CMax wrote:
I couldn't give a shit about Bioshock 2. I fucking hated the first one.

You're not going to Hell...you're already there.
Pestilence
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:29 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Mass Effect 2 is, quite simply, stunning.

You made a good choice, Floyd.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:25 pm  Reply with quote

Pestilence wrote:

Good to hear. Any specifics? Have you explored any other planets yet? That was one of my biggest gripes. They gave you all this freedom but there was nothing to do with it so it took me out of the game.
Pestilence
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:35 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Floydian Trip wrote:
Pestilence wrote:

Good to hear. Any specifics? Have you explored any other planets yet? That was one of my biggest gripes. They gave you all this freedom but there was nothing to do with it so it took me out of the game.

A lot of the gameplay has been very streamlined. There's no character inventory anymore, for example. While that may annoy some, I feel it keeps the pace up nicely and you aren't spending forever reducing items to gels. Instead, you research and add upgrades to armor and weapons using resources that you mine from planets.

The Mako (horrible thing that it was) is gone. No more driving around planetary surfaces looking for nothing. When you fly to new planets, you get a view of the planetary body and move a scanner around it, looking for resources. When you find some, you fire off a probe to extract it which you then pump into research. If anything random shows up on a planet, the ship's AI will state "Anomaly detected" - you locate it with the scanner, and can immediately land into the mission. I haven't come across many of these random events, though.

Even if you don't wanna do that, the amount of story-based missions will keep you busy for a LONG time - getting your crew together, undertaking individual missions for them or just powering ahead with the story, it's your choice.

The writing is top notch, the story just as involving as the first, and you'll definately be wanting to play through it again to try it from different perspectives. It should also be noted that some plot points and available characters will change if you import your character from ME1 depending on the choices you made in that game. I haven't tried that out yet, and only having had the game a short time now I don't think I'm particularly far into it, but I'm already stoked for going back and playing it differently.

It's worth noting that I almost gave up on the original Mass Effect before I'd even taken control of the Normandy. It took some willpower and about 4 to 5 hours play into ME1 before it clicked and almost instantly became one of my favourite ever games. Mass Effect 2 just fell into place right away.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:44 pm  Reply with quote

Pestilence wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
Pestilence wrote:

A lot of the gameplay has been very streamlined. There's no character inventory anymore, for example. While that may annoy some, I feel it keeps the pace up nicely and you aren't spending forever reducing items to gels. Instead, you research and add upgrades to armor and weapons using resources that you mine from planets.

The Mako (horrible thing that it was) is gone. No more driving around planetary surfaces looking for nothing. When you fly to new planets, you get a view of the planetary body and move a scanner around it, looking for resources. When you find some, you fire off a probe to extract it which you then pump into research. If anything random shows up on a planet, the ship's AI will state "Anomaly detected" - you locate it with the scanner, and can immediately land into the mission. I haven't come across many of these random events, though.

Even if you don't wanna do that, the amount of story-based missions will keep you busy for a LONG time - getting your crew together, undertaking individual missions for them or just powering ahead with the story, it's your choice.

The writing is top notch, the story just as involving as the first, and you'll definately be wanting to play through it again to try it from different perspectives. It should also be noted that some plot points and available characters will change if you import your character from ME1 depending on the choices you made in that game. I haven't tried that out yet, and only having had the game a short time now I don't think I'm particularly far into it, but I'm already stoked for going back and playing it differently.

It's worth noting that I almost gave up on the original Mass Effect before I'd even taken control of the Normandy. It took some willpower and about 4 to 5 hours play into ME1 before it clicked and almost instantly became one of my favourite ever games. Mass Effect 2 just fell into place right away.

Yes. And these are the things that I felt slowed the game down in the first one. I agree with you that getting into the first one took several hours but unlike you it never fully clicked with me. The long elevator rides bothered me too and that is another point the reviews touch on that Bioware has fixed. I have yet to put this game in but I am anxious to. I'm just into something else at the moment. I know this game is gonna keep me busy for y a long time. The only reason I hesitated at all is that I know some of the plot twists and reveals will be lost on me.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:24 pm  Reply with quote

What do you think about the combat? That's one point that really sold me on the game was hearing how much they refined it when it was already pretty solid to begin with as far as RPG's go.
Pestilence
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:12 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I never much understood the problems people had with the combat in the original game -- I thought it was fine.

To me, it doesn't appear to have changed massively and I was able to get straight into it. The cover system works well, weapons all feel different and you can command your squad to use special attacks on your targested opponent etc. very easily. The AI of your teammates can be retarded at times, jumping over cover straight towards a group of enemies for example. I have absolutely no complaints about the combat worth airing.

Oh, and there's no more healing via medigel. It's changed to an automatic healing system -- stay in cover and your health, then shields, regenerate. Medigel is only used to revive fallen squad members using the "Unity" ability.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:30 am  Reply with quote

Pestilence wrote:
Oh, and there's no more healing via medigel. It's changed to an automatic healing system -- stay in cover and your health, then shields, regenerate. Medigel is only used to revive fallen squad members using the "Unity" ability.

That is good to hear too. All told this really sounds like a GOTY contender.

What was that other supposed sci-fi epic that failed after the first game because it was so flawed? It had so many bugs it was shameful but I really loved it anyway. I've been trying to think of the name but can't come up with it.
Pestilence
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:45 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Is it a game from this gen? "Too Human" possibly?