Exclusive Interview: Camille Keaton talks CRY FOR THE BAD MAN & I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE

I Spit on Your Grave horror icon Camille Keaton is back for revenge in writer/director Sam Farmer’s Cry for the Bad Man, a film revolving around a grieving woman fighting for what’s rightfully her own.  We thought we’d reach out to Keaton to talk about the film, as well as I Spit on Your Grave and the legacy that film has had. Read on and check out Cry for the Bad Man, available on DVD/Digital NOW from Uncork’d Entertainment!

Synopsis:
When a small-town widow is grieving in isolation, she receives a deadly ultimatum from the privileged sons of a local land developer to sell her beloved property. With 24 hours to decide and her pleas to the town’s corrupt sheriff falling on deaf ears, she realizes she must take matters into her own hands. Her quest for justice turns into an all-out battle and grisly confrontation.

Dread Central: Cry for the Bad Man has a really interesting concept, what attracted you to this project?

Camille Keaton: I like the fact that Marsha Kane is a strong woman and she stands up for herself. I really liked the storyline.

DC: The film speaks on what makes an individual happy, their place in the world and sometimes that place can be a house. It’s very much what she’s holding onto. Did that approach stand out to you when reading the script or did you find other elements?

CK: I didn’t see it that way. I think if someone is trying to take something that’s yours, that’s wrong and you have to stand up for your convictions.

DC: Was the experience of shooting the film a fun experience?

CK: It was a great experience! I enjoyed working with the other actors. We seemed to gel. And the place we worked at was great too, at (Executive Producer) Kathryn McAvoy’s.

DC: There’s a big following for the revenge sub-genre of film. What is it that you think appeals to so many people?

CK: I think people just gravitate toward revenge films because they like to see people get revenge in general. In real life, a lot of people would like to get revenge themselves, but obviously we can’t, so we give it to them in films.

DC: Cry for the Bad Man speaks on entitlement and intimidation, something that seems to be front and center in 2020. It’s unbearable at times. The genre is always great at shining a light at real issues and topics but through a genre lens. Do you see a little bit of your legendary I Spit on Your Grave character in this one as well?

CK: She seems to really want what is right and, in this case, it’s justice. I see them both as strong characters, but that’s it. One is out for revenge. One is defending herself and her property. They’re both strong women though.

DC: I Spit on Your Grave went from a cult film to a bonafide horror classic over the years. How do you feel about the legacy of that film and how people still love it?

CK: That’s a good question. I’m really glad it’s having this long run. I never expected it to have that when I made it. It’s really a nice surprise. Obviously, they didn’t have a lot to spend on wardrobe!

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: