FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Night of the Living Newbie -> London based ghoul girl looking for monster movie work!
Creature_Feature
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

I already posted this in the 'Ghastly Gatherings' section, but it made sense to re-post here as, well, I am a newbie. So here I am wishing a heartfelt 'good eeeeevening' to all you specters and spooks!

My name is Elizabeth (Effie, if you please), and I'm just crazy about horror. I think people have become immune to horror movies of late so it's interesting seeing movies that raise the bar with truly maddening, hysterical terror! Ahem... I guess I'm a little bit of a creep.

Anyway, my ultimate dream is to be a creature actor! I'm very into physical theatre and scaring the living daylights out of people is what I love most. So if anyone out there needs a monster missy for their low budget creature feature then I'm the girl for you! I also come with a basic knowledge of fx makeup (having perfected the method of paving over my eyebrows with this cosmetic wax stuff).

Anyway, while I'm here I might as well ask: do you happen to know of any forums for horror directors or whatever? As I said, I'm really trying to get into horror movies. I studied mime for a little while at a Saturday school I went to as a child, so it's a natural transition I think. I just don't know where to start. I guess finding a local low low budget production is the first step.

So, anybody know of a low low budget production going down in London?

I look forward to sharing tales of terror around the proverbial campfire!

Tattybye!
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Effie and welcome.

As an outsider I can tell you that it's not that difficult to get into the scene after you make your first contact. Of course, it was relatively easy for me being a supervisor at Tower Records. I paid attention to what magazines people would buy and made it a point to get to know everyone buying writing, screenwriting and filmmaking mags. Next thing I knew I was visiting sets and going to monthly indie filmmaking get togethers here in Chicago. Keep at it. You've definitely got an interesting look.

Good luck!
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

welcome to the boards
Creature_Feature
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Hello Effie and welcome.

As an outsider I can tell you that it's not that difficult to get into the scene after you make your first contact. Of course, it was relatively easy for me being a supervisor at Tower Records. I paid attention to what magazines people would buy and made it a point to get to know everyone buying writing, screenwriting and filmmaking mags. Next thing I knew I was visiting sets and going to monthly indie filmmaking get togethers here in Chicago. Keep at it. You've definitely got an interesting look.

Good luck!

Hey, thanks. I just got myself on an fx makeup course at a university in London. So hopefully that should help me make a few contacts. I've been trying to find a place on some physical theatre courses but no luck. Bah! I've been trying out some basic contortion too, which should be of some use.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

Creature_Feature wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
Hello Effie and welcome.

Good luck!

Hey, thanks. I just got myself on an fx makeup course at a university in London. So hopefully that should help me make a few contacts. I've been trying to find a place on some physical theatre courses but no luck. Bah! I've been trying out some basic contortion too, which should be of some use.

Sounds like all very useful things especially for a monster movie which is my favorite sub-genre as well. Very Happy Seems like London should have a pretty rich independant filmmaking scene what with the area being the Hollywood away from Hollywood and all. From the way Kubrick talked it sounds like I'd prefer to be over there as opposed to LA. Comes off as a much more relaxed experience without all the interference and he was able to find some great locations.