FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Titanic
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

I watched the movie last night. First Rose's mother got into a lifeboat but Rose ran away. She pretty much despised her mother.

I don't think he was quite as villanous as you see him. He was a millionaire who did not care much or at all for lesser people but he did love Rose and became increasingly frustrated by not being able to impress Rose with anything. She didn't even think the Titanic was very impressive. At the end it was all about jealousy and the fact that he had lost that pushed him over the edge. I think Cameron did a great job with the characters. She had to be going through something incredibly difficult to make her finally snap and give everything up.

Call me what you will but this movie still gets to me. Not just the, maybe, sappy love story but the reality of it as well.

There is so much that is amazing to me about it but the most incredible sequence to me is when the Titanic is finally going down. That moment when the ship breaks in half and the ass end settles back into the ocean and then gets pulled back up again and the people are dangling from railings and such and falling into the ocean and propellers and shit really blows me away.

The story of the Titanic deserved an epic movie and Cameron made just that. I built a model of the Titanic when I was a kid. It took me a couple of months to get done but I built it and painted it so painstakingly from pictures that I was pretty proud of it when it was completed.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

But see, I don't see it as the story of Titanic. I see it as a half assed, fictional love story that takes place on the Titanic.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
But see, I don't see it as the story of Titanic. I see it as a half assed, fictional love story that takes place on the Titanic.

Then you obviously didn't pay attention to everything. What more about the Titanic and the events that led up to the sinking could Cameron have put in there? Everything that went wrong was shown although maybe there were some known miniscule things that didn't make it.

You also don't see the Captain as much of a character where I do.

It sounds like you wanted a documentary.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:59 am  Reply with quote

DSIC's analysis of the movie is rather damn great. He's said more than I ever could or care to.

I consider Titanic to be one of the worst movies ever made, and one of the most overblown without a doubt. I've tried three times to watch it and three times I left it pretty damn annoyed. The movie is too long, really boring, and well see DSIC's critique.

The whole sinking ship thing was also rather long and boring. They went to such lengths to manipulate us in to caring about these people that it became rather pathetic.

Oh the old couple are drowning together, oh the band continues to play music, people are falling in to the water, Leo is trying to save a little girl, and he ultimately gives up his life for Rose. Yawn.

I laughed on Attack of the Show when Kevin Pereira said, "Why couldn't they just share the door they were floating on? He goes on for a little while and then they switch."

It's funny, I remember reading a newspaper a year before this came to theaters where a critic predicted the movie would be a bomb at the box office. They even predicted it would be Cameron's biggest failure.

It's pretty funny to think about it now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

The band playing while the ship sunk is fact. I guess I just can't be objective about this movie since I've been in love with the Titanic since I was a kid. I don't think anyone could have done it better.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:23 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
The band playing while the ship sunk is fact.

Just because it's fact doesn't mean it's interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:42 am  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
The band playing while the ship sunk is fact.

Just because it's fact doesn't mean it's interesting.

I think it's pretty tragic.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

I like "Titanic", I think it's a good movie, but I never understood why so many people thought it was The Best Movie Ever. I can see how being a teenage girl in love with Leonardo DiCaprio would help, and having a Titanic obsession would also make sense (as would having a hard-on for James Cameron movies...), but all I could think after I saw it was "Pearl Harbor" - a two-hour love story with a nice half-hour of destruction at the end.

I prefer "TIEtanic".
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

The love story is secondary to me. It doesn't bother me. The movie is more about historical fact. Down to the stemware. Everything in it is accurate except, of course, for the love story obviously.