Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Conan O'Brien Declares War With NBC
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:25 pm  Reply with quote

Conan Declares War With NBC:

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/conan-obrien-resigning-tonight-show/

Quote:
Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy
hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is itdestruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

Conan is better than NBC.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:12 pm  Reply with quote

Being a Conan fan I've been following this since it started. I think it was pretty clear to everyone that Leno's show would suck and bomb big time. It's just sad that they're giving the shaft to Conan in exchange for Leno, a man whose relevance wore out years ago.

Conan paid his dues and was promised the Tonight Show, why NBC only gave him seven months is beyond me.

The latest scoop is that Conan has declined the proposal to move The Tonight Show in to the 12:05 slot. And he has every right to. The man is the new host of the Tonight Show, period.

Leno should fuck off and bid a fond farewell and let Conan mold the Tonight Show for a new generation.

NBC have completely fucked themselves up the ass with this debacle. It's so embarrassing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:41 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbUlvlHF9Ys says it all about Leno
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:15 am  Reply with quote

I read that Leno took a veiled swipe at Conan wondering how he get seven months to raise ratings while he only got four.

Simple, because Leno sucks.

God I can't believe NBC is willing to throw Conan overboard in exchange for that fossil. The man is not funny, he's barely relevant, and he's a snake.

What is this hold he has on that network?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Butcher
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:38 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Terminal wrote:
I read that Leno took a veiled swipe at Conan wondering how he get seven months to raise ratings while he only got four.

God I can't believe NBC is willing to throw Conan overboard in exchange for that fossil. The man is not funny, he's barely relevant, and he's a snake.

Leno's mouth is shaped exactly like Jeff Zucker's penis, that's how.

Leno makes me want to vomit, then choke and die on it, so I don't have to live on the same planet as him.

Last edited by The Butcher on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:39 am  Reply with quote

The Butcher wrote:
Terminal wrote:

Leno's mouth is shaped exactly like Jeff Zucker's penis, that's how.

Laughing Touche!
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:48 am  Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100114/ap_en_tv/us_tv_late_night_shuffle

Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien have mined NBC's late-night mess for plenty of jokes about their employer. Now they seem to be turning on each other.

There was a certain bite to some monologue jokes by each man Wednesday, a day after O'Brien said he wasn't willing to move the "Tonight" show back a half-hour to make way for Leno.

Leno took note of his colleague's complaint that his NBC bosses gave him only seven months to establish himself at the "Tonight" show.

"Seven months!" Leno said. "How did he get that deal? We only got four."

O'Brien returned volley in his own monologue. He said hosting the "Tonight" show has been the fulfillment of a lifelong dream.

"And I just want to say to the kids out there watching: You can do anything you want in life," he said. "Unless Jay Leno wants to do it, too."

Could David Letterman sense something from all the way across the country in New York?

"Isn't it lousy cold outside today?" Letterman said on CBS' "Late Show." "You know, they say, from the weather bureau, they say it's caused by an Arctic chill between Jay and Conan."

NBC still hasn't commented on O'Brien's refusal to play ball, and a negotiated exit seems likely.
X-Count
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:20 am  Reply with quote

TEAM COCO!!!! FUCK LENO! I hope Comcast's higher ups fire Jeff Zucker, Jay Leno and everyone else invovled in this sham to destroy the Cone when Comcast takes over NBC/Universal.
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:23 am  Reply with quote

I read something where the likelihood of Jeff Zucker being fired is very unlikely. They've offered him a contract for another three years on the job.

It's just ridiculous how Conan got the shaft. It'd suck if he just faded away from the business.

Goddamn Jay Leno. Take the hint, go away!

Did anyone see Attack of the Show yesterday? Kevin and Olivia wore "Team Conan" T-shirts. It was so hilarious.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:27 am  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

I say we all pull together like those 3 people who watched Jericho did and mail a bunch of dog shit (cause who sends peanuts?) to Leno's home offices. Just a thought.
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:29 am  Reply with quote

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
I say we all pull together like those 3 people who watched Jericho did and mail a bunch of dog shit (cause who sends peanuts?) to Leno's home offices. Just a thought.

Holy shit that's funny!
MethRattle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:35 am  Reply with quote

I mentioned 7-Up Gold in the Harvest Dr. Pepper thread. This decision by NBC concerning their crown jewel late-night show reminds me of 7-Up Gold. The Seven-Up Corporation's greedy decision to put out a caffeinated version of their eponymous soda forever nullified their brilliant advertising slogan "Never had it, never will". NBC moving "The Tonight Show" from its established time slot and changing its host (after only 7 months) shows extreme disrespect towards a show that is beloved by millions and has made NBC a fortune.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:12 am  Reply with quote

MethRattle wrote:
I mentioned 7-Up Gold in the Harvest Dr. Pepper thread. This decision by NBC concerning their crown jewel late-night show reminds me of 7-Up Gold. The Seven-Up Corporation's greedy decision to put out a caffeinated version of their eponymous soda forever nullified their brilliant advertising slogan "Never had it, never will". NBC moving "The Tonight Show" from its established time slot and changing its host (after only 7 months) shows extreme disrespect towards a show that is beloved by millions and has made NBC a fortune.

I loved this line in Conan's Tuesday monologue...(I'm paraphrasing here.)

"I grew up watching Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show, always dreaming that some day I could host that show...for seven months."
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:24 am  Reply with quote

Laughing

That's a good one.