FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> Rolling Stone, WTF?
GinnyInHell
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

I just read the new issue of RS--the top 50 albums of the decade. Why is it that if Dylan/Springsteen/Coldplay/Radiohead/U2 release an album, it doesn't matter if it's good or not--it's "the best" because if it's Dylan/Springsteen/Coldplay/Radiohead/U2, it has to be good??? What the fuck?? Talk about pandering to your idols!! I'm canceling my subscription...
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting issue. I still have the Tom Petty/GQ cover issue. Rolling Stone stopped being relevant years ago but they at least know how to interview. Forget their reviews though. No one knows how to review music anymore.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

Go look at any "Top # Something of Something" list from any source - Rolling Stone, Variety, VH1 - and they're all the same...a few recognized stalwarts, and everything else is the most popular recent entries. I've never seen a list with a decent memory.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

Just picked up this issue and yeah a big WTF? If the 50 albums they listed are the best of the decade then I should stop listening to music. Aside from Green Day, The Flaming Lips and U2 it's all shit.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

What pisses me off the most is that David Gilmour put out the most amazing album of the decade in 'On An Island' and later an equally amazing live album of that album and great Pink Floyd songs in 'Live in Gdansk' but neither album nor David Gilmour get even a mention. Rolling Stone became an R&B magazine a long time ago. Not that there's anything wrong with R&B but it's not Rolling Stone. I feel like writing them hatemail over this issue.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

'Live in Gdansk' is orchestrated. 95% of the artists and bands mentioned in this issue wouldn't know what to do with an orchestra.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:35 am  Reply with quote

Music is infinitely subjective, way more than movies I'd say. I mean, personally I think Dylan, Springsteen, Coldplay, U2, Radiohead, Green Day, and the Flaming Lips ALL suck. The only way to get a definitive "who is better than who" is to look at technical precision and skill, but at the end of the day, the average listener isn't going to care. Besides, Dream Theater are fucking boring.

Then again, my list would include a lot of bands that most people hate. Death metal, black metal, electronic dance music, and breakcore are not popular genres by any stretch of the imagination.

Also, Rolling Stone named Baltimore, Maryland as the best music scene. I live in Baltimore, and I can tell you that Dan Deacon is a fucking retard, and the Copycat is a filth-ridden shit-hole filled with smelly hipsters. It's rare that I hear good music being played at parties (though Aa is the fucking shit). So obviously, Rolling Stone have no clue what they are talking about.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

Of course music is subjective like everything else but I was a fan of Rolling Stone when they were a rock magazine. Cameron Crowe wrote some brilliant fucking articles and look at the bands he covered. I fail to see how anyone though who has any inclination towards music whatsoever can listen to Gilmour's 'On An Island' and not think it's amazing. 'Live in Gdansk' is just beautiful. David is THE best vocalist and guitarist and a pretty damn good sax player too in music history. Period.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

If you agree with RS that a Justin Timberlake album deserves mention where a David Gilmour album does not then obviously you and I have absolutely nothing in common.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

dude, if I had my way, Justin Timberlake wouldn't be in the magazine, and the band Psyopus would be on the cover.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

Have you been reading RS long? Do you know who they were before? If so then you would know David Gilmour needs to be in it. That's who they used to be and who they need to become. 50 cent? Seriously?
MethRattle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Stone died with their John Belushi cover. I had a subscription at the time, and they just slowly started getting less serious about rock music and started 'branching out'.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

No Iron Maiden either but lets talk about Fionna Apple. Not even sure if I'm spelling that shit right. Rolling Stone I spit in your general direction.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:25 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
No Iron Maiden either but lets talk about Fionna Apple. Not even sure if I'm spelling that shit right. Rolling Stone I spit in your general direction.

Oh boo hoo.

Look, they changed the type of music they cover. There really isn't anything wrong with it, you just don't like it because your personal taste in music doesn't coincide with what theirs is. There are plenty of people who care infinitely more about Fiona Apple than about Iron Maiden, and that's who the magazine is marketed towards these days.

Bottom line, if they don't cover the music you like, don't read the magazine.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:36 pm  Reply with quote

You don't know what you're talking about on this particular subject. Sorry but you don't. I'm not trying to piss you off or get into an argument and I'm sorry that I'm upset at what has become of one of my absolute favorite magazines growing up. It's not right. I don't give a shit about what type of demographic they're trying to appeal to now.

I could rant about how much Fangoria sucks now too. I grew up with that magazine also. If I'm gonna read a horror mag nowadays it's Rue Morgue and only Rue Morgue.

Btw, I did stop reading Rolling Stone. Probably about the time you were born. I pick it up occasionally when they actually do cover someone interesting which is very, very rare. I picked up this issue just out of morbid curiosity alone. I knew it would be fucked before I laid eyes on it.