FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Best game of 2009 is....
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:06 am  Reply with quote

.... is a very tough call. I'll just tell you my top 5 and at the end pick one for game of the year. Xbox 360 is all I own so here it goes.

Sacred 2-
Dragon Age is a great single player RPG but this one will make you waste hours and hours grinding levels, getting loot and hanging with 3 of your friends. You say you want Diablo? You say there's no good dungeon crawlers on the major consoles? Well here it is.

Resident Evil 5-
Even with the computer controlled partner this is one great game. A variety of weapons, long campaign, replayability and awesome online (with someone you know) makes this the second best RE game.

Borderlands-
Like Sacred 2, this one is all about grinding and hanging with your friends. If you've played it, you know how good it is so I won't say much more about it. Best /FPS of the year. Sorry, COD.

Batman: Arkham Asylum-
Hands down the best superhero game ever made. Period. End of story. You are Batman for a couple of hours. everything in this game is silky smooth. Fighting, sneaking, swinging and exploring come as second nature as you progress through the story. And yes, the Scarecrow bits fucking rock.

Dragon Age-
I know, I know, predictable, eh? Hey, went you got it, you got it. Dragon Age has it in spades. If you like RPG's you already own this one. It really does deserve all the praise that's been heaped on it.

As for number one, guess I'll have to say Batman. What a damn fine game.
resevil80
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Dragon Age with Resident Evil 5 a very close second...New DLC for RE5 coming up also...Can't fucking wait.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

I really gotta get Dragon Age. I couldn't stand the Resident Evil 5 demo so I never bothered with the game. The best game I've played this year so far has been Uncharted 2.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

The only two games that I have raved about this year are Uncharted 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum. I'd be hard pressed to choose which one I liked better amongst those two - both are amazing games with high replayability.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

RE5 is an awesome game. I tried to play it alone once but the AI is horrible. Played through it with my son the first weekend and then played through it with a buddy a second time. The best RE game imo, again.

Being the FPS fanatic that I am though I have to give it to Modern Warfare 2. Yeah, the single player is short but it's nevertheless pretty incredible. The co-op action is second to none though and love playing Spec-Ops with my boys and then friends on Veteran which is so challenging.

COD: Modern Warfare 2
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
I really gotta get Dragon Age. I couldn't stand the Resident Evil 5 demo so I never bothered with the game. The best game I've played this year so far has been Uncharted 2.

My buddy got a PS3 last week, so I'll be over there playing that one soon. Cannot wait, that game looks so fucking rad.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

Brutal Legend deserves a mention. For a metal fan there has never been anything like it nor will there be again I doubt.
resevil80
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Uncharted 2...I need a PS3 cause that looks fantastic.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

I thought Uncharted was boring and stopped playing after the U-Boat section. I don't care how many animations they put into the game. Tomb Raider is better.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

I gotta go with "Demon's Souls" because it's such a challenging and enjoyable experience. The fact that it's one of two games I've played this year that was actually released this year (the other being "Reident Evil 5") doesn't really affect my decision.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:46 pm  Reply with quote

MethRattle wrote:
I gotta go with "Demon's Souls" because it's such a challenging and enjoyable experience. The fact that it's one of two games I've played this year that was actually released this year (the other being "Reident Evil 5") doesn't really affect my decision.

Is the online stuff as cool as everyone is saying? Looks like a killer game anyway.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:53 pm  Reply with quote

I think it looks like an awesome game and frustrating too.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:30 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I'd probably have to say Batman: Arkham Asylum. Just near perfection. Honorable mentions to Dragon Age, Brutal Legend, and Little Big Planet.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:37 am  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:

Is the online stuff as cool as everyone is saying?

All online multiplayer should work this well. "Demon's Souls" is effectively a single-player game, but you have the option to join, or invite to join you, another player in order to help overcome a tough area/boss. One player actually moves to the other player's single-player game. There is no way to communicate in the game with other players, short of some generic gestures, yet communication has never been an issue in any multiplayer session I've participated in. The fact that you CAN'T hear some 12-yr-old (or emotional equivalent) calling you a fa***t or ni***r is just icing on the cake. The only down side I've found so far in the "Demon's Souls" multiplayer experience is the lack of a 'non-PvP' mode. Some insecure player-killer assholes would rather spend all their time invading your single-player game as a Black Phantom and lurking at the entrances to levels in order to ambush you. It's a shame the game lets them.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:42 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Batman: Arkham Asylum, hands down. Dragon Age was great, but Arkham Asylum is just damn near perfect.