FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Res Evil Uncut Directors cut.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

For those of you who have it...What did ya think?
Count Zartro
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

I will not have time to dive into it unitl the weekend myself, so I will let you know when I get some time with it.

I'm quite looking forward to it.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:52 am  Reply with quote

The first cutscene alone there's a big difference.
Pestilence
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:41 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Which Resident Evil and platform are we talking about here? Has there been a further re-release of one of them I'm not aware of?
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

it's a custom mod that can either be burned and played on a modded system or played on a ps1 emulator. It adds in some stuff that was cut out of the original, most noticable the first video has more color(instead of black and white scenes), a different set of music(once again removed from the original), and a few other things.
phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:39 pm  Reply with quote

I just bought Resident Evil: The Director's Cut on the Playstation network, but I have not got around to playing it yet. The only game in the series I have played is 5.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

5 was truly a phenominal game.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:

Too bad it wasn't a Resident Evil game, though.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

MethRattle wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

Too bad it wasn't a Resident Evil game, though.

By that you mean it was actually coherent?
MethRattle
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

By that I mean it wasn't the least bit scary or suspenseful. It was Gears of War with zombie-colored enemies. Scratch that, not even zombies, just parasite-infested villagers.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

I think it was the best one.

Oh and yet you consider 28 Days Later to be a zombie movie. At least by definition the zombies in 5 were still zombies.
Count Zartro
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

No RE 5 wasn't a Resdent Evil game in the sense that it wasn't survival horror. You had a ton of ammo, a partner, and no threat of not being able to save your game.

RE 5 was Action Horror, a long ways away from the lonely and tense atmosphere of the first few games.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying it was a bad game, just not an RE game. That game could have been called Virus Hunters and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Dead Space was closer to the original RE than RE 5 was. And Dead Space 2 was announced with more 'face paced action' due to complaints from gamers of the game being to intense. See latest GameInformer cover story for more details.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
I think it was the best one.

Oh and yet you consider 28 Days Later to be a zombie movie. At least by definition the zombies in 5 were still zombies.

The 'zombies' in RE5 weren't zombies - they didn't die and return to life, they were mutated by a parasite into another lifeform. The 'zombies' in "28 Days Later" aren't zombies, either, they're virus-infected psychotics...but it's still scary, suspenseful and has enough of the conventions of a modern zombie movie that it can be considered a 'zombie' movie in a way that RE5 can't be considered a Resident Evil game. "28 Days Later" & RE4 were evolutions, RE5 was a genre change. It needed a "Devil May Cry"-style rebranding (which started out as an RE sequel).

I thoroughly enjoyed the multiplayer aspect of RE5 (broken single-player game, though), I just get no Resident Evil feel from it at all. Did you like any of the PS1 Resident Evil titles? Maybe the RE games just aren't your style of game, and that's why you like RE5.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

I do love all the Resident Evil games but admittedly never thought they were very good. It's not that they're not my thing 'cause I love survival horror I just always thought the story was a complete mess and as incoherent as can be but that's usually the case with anything Japanese that I've watched. I went through an anime phase at one point and while I like some of the older, original films most of the newer ones that I bought and watched were just bad.

I think it's more that I enjoy Western games more than Eastern games. Japanese games can be brilliant but alot of the times they're just too ridiculous for me to get into. I think my top 10 developer list are all North American. Dead Space was brilliant in everything it did. The story is amazing but of course was fleshed out with the movie and webisodes that had to be seen to truly appreciate how epic it is and the gameplay was very intense and perfectly conceived. The zero G stuff was amazing and I thought was what Prey tried to do but failed at. Hell I'd almost buy a Wii just to play Dead Space but I have boycotted Nintendo.

Silent Hill, now those were great games. Haven't played the last few though so don't know where the series is at anymore but from what I gather I'm not missing much.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

I use to not like the re games(they'd scare me shitless), but now I'm loving 1, I can't wait to play through 2 and three.