FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Dread Central Book of the Month
arandomthought
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:29 pm  Reply with quote

Fair enough. Ven seems like he would've trusted his instincts. I know it's more set up for the story, but that part just didn't feel right.

I love the description of the odor, it seems like this thing smells something that I would recon the "Reeker" would smell like.

The chapter about Billy and the other kid is one of my favorite and something they sadly cut out of the movie.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:00 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, I kind of think it's interesting that they only named the older kid, Billy, and just called the younger one kid. Maybe because they needed a name for the older one so the frightened younger kid could call out to him. Either way not important in any way except they make the reader aware that Mbwun has now made a home inside the museum.

I haven't seen this movie in forever.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:43 pm  Reply with quote

I bought it after reading the book the first time, adn was severaly dissapointed in it.

Reading through, the authors drop hints and clues as to what mbwun is throughout the story. It's extremy subtle but it's there I think. Maybe I'm just thinking about the end too early in the book.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

I love how this book doesn't waste any time. The first chapter is in the Amazon and death and carnage quickly ensue and then the 2nd chapter you're in Brazil with more death and the the 3rd chapter you're in the museum in New York where the boys get offed immediately and it never lets up from there. This book would be so easy to read in one sitting. I love all the characters as well even the ones that are bad so to speak. My favorite early on is Pendergast. He comes off more like a Sherlock Holmes to me than a typical FBI agent. I loved how he noticed the blood on the painting and casually mentions it as if it's part of the painting and he's describing the work of art.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
I love how this book doesn't waste any time. The first chapter is in the Amazon and death and carnage quickly ensue and then the 2nd chapter you're in Brazil with more death and the the 3rd chapter you're in the museum in New York where the boys get offed immediately and it never lets up from there. This book would be so easy to read in one sitting. I love all the characters as well even the ones that are bad so to speak. My favorite early on is Pendergast. He comes off more like a Sherlock Holmes to me than a typical FBI agent. I loved how he noticed the blood on the painting and casually mentions it as if it's part of the painting and he's describing the work of art.

Pendergast is my favorite character overall, and the reason I read the book in one sitting last time.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

I think we lost Richard after all that. Death by atrition is how this works.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

Wonder what happened?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Well you and me could continue or we could give it up.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

just continue the convo like any other. The conversations in this, are so simple, yet potray so much about the characters. I'll be at 30 by next monday, promise.
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

sorry, I was slightly behind and wanted to get to chapter 15... lots of extra parenting this week. I'm on 20 now.

Loving this book. There is plenty of grue, but I think it could almost use a bit more description in that regard. However, I am loving all of the museum working details and politics and descriptions.

I enjoy both Degrassi or whatever his name is AND Pendagrast, think they'll make a swell team.

So far all of the characters (minus the victims) have been well fleshed out already. I think the future deaths will have much greater impact, unless they keep introducing "red shirts" for the deaths.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

Lol...red shirts.

I think the grue not being as descriptive leaves a lot to the imagination. I prefer that over superb detail, as it is a bit mroe fun for me.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know if I would prefer more detailed grue or not. In some respects I think if it were more detailed it might have cheapened the feel of the novel a bit.

D'Agosta is a great character too and I agree him and Pendergast together make a great team.
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

I think, in this case, the author is trying to make the murders as horrific as possible... and the ensuing chaos and aftermath are less descriptive than his details about museum offices and people's apartments. A minor detail, though, it does not detract from the book so far.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

That's interesting because I feel overall there isn't a whole lot of description going on ala Stephen King but what there is is very effective and efficient so much so that I can picture every object, place and person in my mind.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
That's interesting because I feel overall there isn't a whole lot of description going on ala Stephen King but what there is is very effective and efficient so much so that I can picture every object, place and person in my mind.

How do you picture them?