FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Super Mario Bros Wii
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:10 am  Reply with quote

This game has gotten me way more excited to play than any other game recently. It's pretty much just Super Mario World (which is a game I grew up on) with better graphics, a more interesting map screen, new power ups, and MULTIPLAYER. Super Mario Bros Wii is such a throwback to old school gaming, and it does it flawlessly.

I may be alone in thinking this, but ever since Super Mario 64, not a single Mario game has had the same effect as the old side scrolling games of yore. Fuck Mario Galaxi, this game is where it's at.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:43 am  Reply with quote

I want to get a Wii for my girlfriend so we can play this because she can't hang with 360 or PS3.
Count Zartro
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

This game is lots of fun, it's pretty much Super Mario Bros. 4, or 5 counting Super Mario World.

There were 3 of us playing and it was great, my wife and I play, she isn't good but better at this than the Lego games, which is our only other foray into playing a video game together.

I love the Ice Flower, it was such a logical step.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, this is the perfect game to play with a wife or girlfriend - very much a throwback to the old Super Mario Brothers games with enhanced graphics and I think they've done a good job of incorporating the Wii's control system.

It's funny that after playing so many FPS games and other games that require such precise controls you'd think that going back to an old-school side scroller would be easy but I'm finding it quite the opposite so far.

Still highly recommend picking this one up if you've got a Wii.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

mdamien13 wrote:
Yeah, this is the perfect game to play with a wife or girlfriend - very much a throwback to the old Super Mario Brothers games with enhanced graphics and I think they've done a good job of incorporating the Wii's control system.

It's funny that after playing so many FPS games and other games that require such precise controls you'd think that going back to an old-school side scroller would be easy but I'm finding it quite the opposite so far.

You know, I actually find most modern games like FPS's much easier than the old school side scrollers. I mean, the Castlevania and Megaman series were fucking hard.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
mdamien13 wrote:

You know, I actually find most modern games like FPS's much easier than the old school side scrollers. I mean, the Castlevania and Megaman series were fucking hard.

Heh, I tried playing Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts on my compilation disk the other day. I can't believe we used beat that game. Yes, the newer games have made us soft, my friends.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:
mdamien13 wrote:

Heh, I tried playing Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts on my compilation disk the other day. I can't believe we used beat that game. Yes, the newer games have made us soft, my friends.

Well, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that newer games are much more narrative. Nowadays, simply saving the princess isn't enough to please people, so games have elaborate plots, and people get pissed off if they can't finish the story and find out how the games ends, resulting in much easier games (at least in single player campaigns, multiplayer is still a beast unto itself, as games like Halo and Super Smash Bros Melee have shown us). Also, making games hard as hell back in the day was an easier way to make a game that you will replay over and over again.
Count Zartro
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

Mega Man 9.

My friend and I have yet to beat one boss robot, ONE!!

One weekend my friend and I devoted ourselves to beating Ghost N' Goblins on the comp. disc, and after 2 days we beat it and find out we have to beat it twice!!

Needless to say we stopped right there.
X-Count
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:59 am  Reply with quote

OMG!!! The only reason I'm looking forward to Christmas this year is because I'm getting a Wii and this fucking game! I needs to play it!!!
phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

I can't wait to play this when I get my Wii. There has not been a great 2-D side scroller since Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the PS 1.