FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Modern Warfare 2
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:34 pm  Reply with quote

Well I finally rented it, played it and beat it in around 5 hours. But you know what? I'm not going to bitch about the length. All action, no filler, and a great way to spend an afternoon. Now if I spent $60 that would be a different story.
Now was I the only one who thought the whole game seemed like a Michel Bay movie? Hell, there was even a part ripped straight from one of his movies. I bet if he ever plays this game he'll blow the biggest load of his life.
Now that I got 4 days before it's due, guess I'll dabble in the mutiplayer and try out the other goodies. I already got my 3 bucks worth, so I won't be bummed if online sucks.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:52 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
Well I finally rented it, played it and beat it in around 5 hours. But you know what? I'm not going to bitch about the length. All action, no filler, and a great way to spend an afternoon. Now if I spent $60 that would be a different story.
Now was I the only one who thought the whole game seemed like a Michel Bay movie? Hell, there was even a part ripped straight from one of his movies. I bet if he ever plays this game he'll blow the biggest load of his life.
Now that I got 4 days before it's due, guess I'll dabble in the mutiplayer and try out the other goodies. I already got my 3 bucks worth, so I won't be bummed if online sucks.
Dude, the multiplayer portion is what made COD4 such a hit. They've added greatly to the multiplayer experience; more guns, bigger and better maps, new ways of creating havoc by way of killstreaks. There's also the co-op mode Spec Ops, which is very challenging and addicting. That mode is what Army of Two's co-op should have been. Unlike Halo 3, MW2's hype is well-deserved.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:18 am  Reply with quote

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is the Citizen Kane of repeatedly shooting people in the face." - Charlie Brooker, Guardian UK

I thought this was cute, and it's the only reason I'll ever have to post in this thread.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:08 am  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:

If you paid 60 for a the single player then I agree, but that's one piece of a very valuable package. The game is worth every penny.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:09 am  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
frank_dracman wrote:
Dude, the multiplayer portion is what made COD4 such a hit. They've added greatly to the multiplayer experience; more guns, bigger and better maps, new ways of creating havoc by way of killstreaks. There's also the co-op mode Spec Ops, which is very challenging and addicting. That mode is what Army of Two's co-op should have been. Unlike Halo 3, MW2's hype is well-deserved.

Army of Two's co-op was a blast from start to finish. Played through it about 5 times.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

Spec Ops is great. I've only unlocked up to Charlie so far with my sons and need to get my buddy back here to play on higher difficulties to unlock more. There isn't one that I don't like so far though and they don't get old either.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:14 am  Reply with quote

Well I liked the Spec Ops stuff, it kinda reminds me of Rainbow Six Vegas 2 for some reason. The big problem is that you can't just jump in with anyone, it has to a friend. So it's same console or wait for one of my friends to get on and want to play. Lame. Now if I'm a tard and there is an option for quickplay that I can't find, please let me know.
As for the rest of the multiplayer, I love the RPG stuff and how you can unlock attachments for your guns. But there are small problems that took away some enjoyment. First, what's with all the mute players? I realize this is problem for any multiplayer game but of all the games I played, only a few had players that talked and planned with each other besides yelling "fuck". For a game like this it would be great to have a team that talks to each other.
The other problem is I couldn't figure out how to host a game. Is there an option for that? I got stuck playing with level 30+ players every time. I would have loved to host a game for nooblers like me. Other than that, it's a pretty solid game if you like the genre. I don't really, but I'd still give it 3/12 (maybe four if I could fix the problems I had) out of 5.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:50 am  Reply with quote

There is no way to host a game unless you do a private match and invite players or friends. Which most likely won't happen because you can't rank up or get on the leaderboards in a private match.

I wish one could host ranked matches so you could restrict certain load outs, weapons, and perks.

The mute players thing boils down to being random yourself and put onto teams of randoms. I have a great group of friends that communicate well and which is why we win most of the games we play together. We actually go for objectives while other morons just like to camp windows waiting for players to walk by.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
There is no way to host a game unless you do a private match and invite players or friends. Which most likely won't happen because you can't rank up or get on the leaderboards in a private match.

I wish one could host ranked matches so you could restrict certain load outs, weapons, and perks.

The mute players thing boils down to being random yourself and put onto teams of randoms. I have a great group of friends that communicate well and which is why we win most of the games we play together. We actually go for objectives while other morons just like to camp windows waiting for players to walk by.

Heh, I thought I was the only one getting shot in the head every time I walked pass a window. Communication is key here, and it seems that you're not getting the full effect of the game when everyone's running around aimlessly or "camping".
I'm rather surprised out of all the reviews I read about this game, not a one mentioned the things you just verified. I thought such a high profile game would have better implemented co-op/matchmaking. But hey, what do you expect out of game reviews nowadays anyway? Still a fun game, though.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:

Heh, I thought I was the only one getting shot in the head every time I walked pass a window. Communication is key here, and it seems that you're not getting the full effect of the game when everyone's running around aimlessly or "camping".
I'm rather surprised out of all the reviews I read about this game, not a one mentioned the things you just verified. I thought such a high profile game would have better implemented co-op/matchmaking. But hey, what do you expect out of game reviews nowadays anyway? Still a fun game, though.

The reviews don't reflect that because the experience is completely different if you're playing with a team of friends. The core gameplay of mp is fantastic. The tools are there for the game to be played the way the player wants. That's how it should be reviewed.

The matchmaking is something IW likes because they feel like hosted games can be tampered with too much.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

The matchmaking is something IW likes because they feel like hosted games can be tampered with too much.

Yeah, I think you got a point there. If there's a way to exploit a game, someone will find it.
But I must pose a question- do you think the game warrants a score of 10? It might just be me, but I can't remember the last perfect 10 game I played. Oblivion might be the closest, but a game really has to knock the shit out of my butt, into the toilet and flush itself to squeeze out a score of 10, which this one has many of. Don't get me wrong, the game is way better than I though it would be, but perfect? Confused
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.edge-online.com/features/review-modern-warfare-2

Read this review. These guys are the most pissed off bunch of gamers in the media but they are also brilliant. I love the mag but it's expensive as hell. Something like $15 or around there.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:

Yeah, I think you got a point there. If there's a way to exploit a game, someone will find it.
But I must pose a question- do you think the game warrants a score of 10? It might just be me, but I can't remember the last perfect 10 game I played. Oblivion might be the closest, but a game really has to knock the shit out of my butt, into the toilet and flush itself to squeeze out a score of 10, which this one has many of. Don't get me wrong, the game is way better than I though it would be, but perfect? Confused

A 10 has NEVER signified a perfect game for me. It just means the sum of the parts of the game add up to an experience that is the best at what it does. Do I think this game is a 10? No, but I think it's a 9 because I don't like a majority of the maps in multiplayer and it's way too easy to die now like they listened to all the winers that complained about the amount of bullets people can take and decided to half it. And my weapon of choice: the submachine gun has been practically neutered.

That being said I've played tons of games this generation I would give a 10 to. COD 4, Mass Effect, Fallout 3, GTA IV, Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 2, Left for Dead, The Orange Box to name a few. If I were to go back to past generations I would have a much larger list.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

Goddamn, I want to play Uncharted 2.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

If you have a PS3 you certainly should. It's an amazing game.