Todd MacFarlane Demands SPAWN Reboot Must Be Rated R

Todd MacFarlane recently teased that his upcoming live-action big-screen Spawn reboot with Jeremy Renner as Twitch and Jamie Foxx as Spawn will finally happen this year. And now he talks a bit about his demands for the movie – mainly that it MUST be rated R.

McFarlane tells Shoryuken: “I have very few demands for the movie. It has to be Rated R, there’s no debate around that. With the story I want to tell, my intent goes back to that Spawn Cloud. I am less concerned about what happens in the movie as long as Spawn is “cool” and “badass”. The last demand is that I am the director. That’s it. Everything else is up for conversation.”

RELATED: EXCLUSIVE VIDEO INTERVIEW: TODD MCFARLANE TALKS SPAWN MOVIE

He continues: “I just want to show that there are better and smarter ways to entertain an audience than what they are used to. So much more is possible once you open yourself to Rated R stories. But I can’t just do a cardboard version, I need the budget to do it.

He adds: “Hollywood is a different place right now; they understand the value of what Spawn can bring to a reasonable budget. Joker lit the fire, up until now it felt like I was pushing up this bolder on my own, but now there are others joining me who know that these stories should be told.”

RELATED: NEW WRITER-DIRECTOR WORKING ON SPAWN REBOOT

Rated PG-13 or violence and crude humor, the 1997 version centered on a covert government assassin Al Simmons (Michael Jai White) who is killed after being double-crossed by his boss, Jason Wynn (Martin Sheen). Upon arriving in Hell, Simmons is offered an opportunity to return to Earth if he’s willing to lead an evil army. He accepts and is reincarnated as a “Hellspawn” — a twisted, horribly disfigured version of his former self. However, Spawn serves as a force of good, much to the dismay of the Devil’s henchman, a wicked clown (John Leguizamo).

RELATED: TODD MCFARLANE MAY CROWDFUND R-RATED SPAWN REBOOT

It sports an 18% approval rating over on Rotten Tomatoes with a Critics Consensus that reads: Spawn is an overbearing, over-violent film that adds little to the comic book adaptation genre.

Are you still excited to see Todd MacFarlane’s Spawn reboot? Do you think it will ever actually hit screens? Let us know in the comments below or over on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram

BUY IT HERE
Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: