FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> Porcupine Tree - The Incident/Steven Wilson - Insurgentes
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

Home at last with a new Porcupine Tree album finally. Windows are shut and covered, door is closed and locked. Silence. My gf has instructions to not come near that door until I come out unless a fire breaks out or someone is dying and needs CPR.

I picked up a celebratory bottle of Rubi Rey Reserve Rum 86 proof because the bottle looked interesting enough to accompany my listening. I want relaxation.

The volume is set. Not too low and not too high. No distortion.

This is a 2 disc album.

The first song comprising the first CD - The Incident at 55:00
The second CD contains...

1 Flicker 3.42
2 Bonnie the Cat 5.45
3 Black Dahlia 3.40
4 Remember Me Lover 7.28

WIthout further ado

Play

Last edited by Floydian Trip on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:33 pm  Reply with quote

Is it lame or unecessary to bring up Pink Floyd still? Of course he was influenced by Floyd and Porcupine Tree is as close as we're gonna get anymore but has that been said enough?

Got done with The Incident and WOW. To me anyway. I've listened to every Porcupine Tree album and although his more commercial albums were solid and I don'[t blame him for wanting to reach a wider American audience I still prefer the days when it was just Steven Wilson on his guitar and keyboards putting out albums under a false bands name when he had none.

The incident feels more like that which I would expect people wanting commercialized music to not get. Not saying that I get it after only one listen and not following along with the lyrics. It came off as dark as ever to me. There's about everything in this song. Great guitar, a bit of heaviness, some ambient, low key stuff along with the loud but I think any veteran Porcupine Tree fan knows how to be patient to hear the brilliance.

I loved it. I was pretty disgruntled when he included the XBox 360 in one of his recent songs but to me this is a return to form. Love it or hate it.

Now onto disc 2 to see if he couldn't help but make more popular tracks to go along with the brilliance.

Play
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:03 pm  Reply with quote

Good stuff on CD2. Black Dalhia probably has the biggest chance of getting out there, brilliant stuff.

Remember Me Lover is good too though not exactely a love song.

Overall this is fucking great!
Permafrost
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:40 am  Reply with quote

Fucking awesome, as always.

That's all I can say. Between that, Blackfield, and Steven Wilson's solo album, my shorts haven't been clean in a long time.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

Permafrost wrote:
Fucking awesome, as always.

That's all I can say. Between that, Blackfield, and Steven Wilson's solo album, my shorts haven't been clean in a long time.

Hell Yeah! Anything the guy touches turns to Gold.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

I got The Incident and Insurgentes from amazon yesterday so still have yet to listen to Insurgentes. When I get home. More Wilson bliss.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:49 pm  Reply with quote

Insurgentes is damn brilliant too sounding like the soundtrack to a very dark horror film. I do prefer The Incident though because it just sounds more old-school.

I have to get the latest No-Man as well.