FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Your greatest achivments?
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

The video game forum is a little slow these days, so how about sharing your greatest gaming moments? Not necessarily achievements (or trophies for you PS3 owners), just accomplishments you remember. Here's 3 off the top of my head-
1) Beat Robocop on one quarter. Yeah, so I didn't eat lunch in the cafeteria for a month, but damn that game was fun. And yes, I used the elevator trick on the pair of ED-209's. I'm not ashamed.

2) Beat Street Fighter 2010. It was the only game I had at the time, so I made the best of it. Bloody hard game, but quite fun after you know what you're doing. Don't even ask me to play it today, though.

3) My personal favorite, beat Blanka with Ryu in 5-7 seconds (can't remember the exact time) in an arcade when they were cool. Remember how Blanka took extra damage if you hit him doing the spin? Well, I Dragon-Punched the crap out of him in mere seconds. Funny thing is, I'm not even that good at the game. It was more of a fluke than anything. But I'll never forget the kid that was about to play me and how he just backed away from the cabinet slowly. One of the few times I ever felt like a badass. Very Happy
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

The only time I ever achieved local fame at the arcade was when I was the first to beat Dragon's Lair and could do it everytime on one quater. All the kids used to give me quaters to play it so they could memorize the moves. I also played a couple games with Sweetness's son when walter was there playing golf.

Now I think it's quite an achievement for me to manage to finish any game.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

I lacked the conviction and determination the memorize Dragon's Lair. Not to mention the quarters. For some weird reason I liked Space Ace.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

Space Ace was cool too. I liked Shmup's the best but was never very good at them. I guess I don't have very good hand-eye coordination.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:44 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone remember the game based on Lupin the 3rd called Cliffhanger? It was similar to Space Ace and Dragon's Lair and it was awesome. Mostly because there were ninjas in it. I remember the first level was driving around while avoiding an attack chopper.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:01 am  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Anyone remember the game based on Lupin the 3rd called Cliffhanger? It was similar to Space Ace and Dragon's Lair and it was awesome. Mostly because there were ninjas in it. I remember the first level was driving around while avoiding an attack chopper.

Yeah, I remember that one. "Who's that guy? Is he in a cartoon?" Ah, if I knew then what I know now. Cliffhanger, eh? Might have to see if I can download that somewhere.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:

Yeah, I remember that one. "Who's that guy? Is he in a cartoon?" Ah, if I knew then what I know now. Cliffhanger, eh? Might have to see if I can download that somewhere.

I don't recall that one.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:57 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
frank_dracman wrote:

I don't recall that one.

I saw it only once, in a getto Chuck E Cheese a long time ago. Here's a little taste-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVHL3L8m5KE
Elf
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:03 am  Reply with quote

I one hit killed the Witch in Left 4 Dead with a shot gun blast to the head.

I'm trying for the Witch Burner achievement next.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:18 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

WAY back in the day, I held a couple of city records during a national chain-wide tournament at the Aladdin's Castle arcade chain. Tron, Discs of Tron, and Gorf, if memory serves. I think I also held the local store records for Red Baron, Battlezone, and a few others. Won some little certificates that are long gone.

I am also the only person that anyone is aware of that beat the microscope puzzle/minigame in The 7th Guest more than 5 times without lowering the difficulty. This was in the initial release, subsequent releases (like the Windows 95 edition) had lowered the difficulty of the microscope puzzle a bit. I was also the first person to beat it twice.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

A friend of mine owned the Nintendo "Metal Gear" game, but we couldn't get it to save a game, so one weekend when I was spending the night I started it in the morning and completed it at 5AM the next morning with a few pauses for sandwich breaks. Not sure how much of an achievement that is, but it was grueling and everyone at the time was impressed (we hadn't seen the game finished yet).
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:38 am  Reply with quote

MethRattle wrote:
A friend of mine owned the Nintendo "Metal Gear" game, but we couldn't get it to save a game, so one weekend when I was spending the night I started it in the morning and completed it at 5AM the next morning with a few pauses for sandwich breaks. Not sure how much of an achievement that is, but it was grueling and everyone at the time was impressed (we hadn't seen the game finished yet).

Ah, the days before everything had battery back-up. I remember leaving my Sega Master System on all night and while I was at school so we wouldn't lose progress. You can dump those old machines in the toilet, leave them on 24 hours, back over them with a car and throw them off a roof of a Wienerschnitzel and they still work. Hell, I got a 2600 that still works.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

According to Microsoft's achievement system my closest friend is one of the greatest gamers on the planet. He's always one of the first to get all achievements for every game he plays and is generally in the company of Japanese guys. He always gets all the achievements. He really impressed me with how fast he beat Braid. That game kicked my ass towards the end and I still haven't finished it. Great fucking game though.

Next time he comes over I'm going to make him play Echochrome and see how far he gets. That game starts off easy and just when you think you got it the difficulty goes off the charts. I love it though. Beautiful concept. Perception is something I've always been interested in even when I was a kid.
Jordan_Atombomb
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:17 am  Reply with quote

When I was in highschool, I was known as the "house of the dead kid" kid in the arcade. I could draw a crowd to say the least. I could beat it on the startup credits and when that got old, I mastered it using both guns. And then I got to the point where I could double fist it on the start up credits. I held all 10 spots on the high score for YEARS until they either unplugged it or reset it.

I'm still trying to find an arcade cabinet for my home.

Also, at one time, I was ranked in the top 500 at Galaga on XBL. I know that's not major but it definitely gave me a small sense of accomplishment.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:13 am  Reply with quote

I suck at shmups. I do love them though.