FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> Captain Fantastic
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

First there was The Beatles and then there was Elton John. You can't talk about Elton John without talking about Bernie Taupin as well. A song writing duo almost unsurpassed in music history. The amount of hit albums and songs they produced together is staggering. In the early days pumping out 2 albums a year like a well oiled machine of course that was customary in the 70's. Not like today where you can wait up to 5 years for a band to come out with a new album like NIN.

I like music that is deep and introspective and Elton/Bernie don't disappoint. Elton John music can be deeply emotional and moving and also just plain fun. Unlike The Beatles who burned very brightly indeed but only lasted a decade, Elton has been around for my entire life. The day he stops making music will be a sad day indeed but he has given me more great music to listen to than any other artist I love including the likes of Iron Maiden.

I really wouldn't want to talk to someone claiming to be a music lover without an appreciation for Elton John. It really wouldn't make a bit of sense to me at all.

Some of my favorite songs.....

Your Song
Tiny Dancer
Rocket Man
Honky Cat
Crocodile Rock
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Candle in the Wind
Bennie and the Jets
Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me
Philadelphia Freedom
Someone Saved My Life Tonight
Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word
Don't Go Breaking My Heart
Little Jeannie
I'm Still Standing
I guess That's Why They Call It The Blues
Sad Songs

and on and on.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Oh fuck and Daniel. How I love that song about a one-eyed war vet going to Spain the only place he feels he can live.

Spain is the most beautiful country in the world I'm sure of it. I must go back someday.

The Bitch is Back too hell yeah.

One thing I love about Elton John is that he spit in the face of the typical 3:00 pop song running time and made song that run well past that mark. Despite this radio stations never had enough of his songs to play.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

Been listening to Elton John the last couple of days and his songs make me sad for the most part. Not in a bad way but I have associated many of his songs to particular tough times in my youth like lost love and love I never had and such. Back in the day there was no escaping EJ.
BadAsh
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:22 am  Reply with quote

the captain and the kid (latest album) was sweet too.

...can't go wrong with the classics though.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:52 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Vintage Elton is priceless. I too say, first there was THE BEATLES then there is ELTON. Nice comparison, both ahving contributed songs that are timeless and seemed to have been waiting to exist all along.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

The Butcher wrote:
both ahving contributed songs that are timeless and seemed to have been waiting to exist all along.

Nice.

I do agree that even the newer albums are great but I definitely have more attachment to the older stuff. I have so many memories to go along with alot of them.