FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Star Trek TOS motion pictures on Blu-ray
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:40 pm  Reply with quote

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

A good sendoff for the TOS crew. Yada yada yada.

The bonus disc that comes with the box set is very interesting. It's called The Captains Summit and is a roundtable discussion with Shatner, Nimoy, Frakes and Stewart with Whoopi Goldberg hosting. I have never seen them all together like this before. It's about an hour or so long broken up into 3 parts. They talk about everything from the fact that Data gets laid a couple of times while Spock does not to them having every intention of killing off Spock after The Wrath of Khan. They had Spock grab McCoy and say "remember" before he goes into the chamber just in case. I can't imagine what the movies would have been like without Spock.
David
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:15 am  Reply with quote

Your reviews have convinced me to buy this set on payday, Floyd. It's been years since I've seen them and it seems like a worthy set to buy on Blu-ray. Thanks and have fun on your Twilight cruise!
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

It is worth every penny. I'd like to know how you think they look when you watch them. I hope you have as much fun revisiting these movies as I have. Star Trek is probably the only series where I just don't care how many sequels they make. In fact, there can never be enough.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:05 pm  Reply with quote

I can't just stop here. Damn you Paramount. Why could they not have also released the 4 NG movies on Blu-ray? Although inferior movies with 1 great exception ughhh I'm gonna continue on in DVD.

Star Trek: Generations

Yeah a pretty convoluted plot to fit both Captain Kirk and Picard in the same movie. I'm never sure if I should like this one or not.

So Kirk, Scotty and Chekov are along for the ride of the maiden voyage of the Enterprise B. To make a long story short The Enterprise gets sucked into a rescue mission and the outcome is the supposed death of Captain Kirk or is he an Admiral again at this point it's not made clear. I guess he's a retired Captain.

One of the people rescued is Dr Soran, Malcolm Mcdowell.y

Flash forward 70 years and the NG crew are seen commanding Enterprise D. They have been called out to investigate an attack on an observatory romulans no less. Soran has some double dealings with the Klingons and has been taken to their ship along with LaForge. Of course this is a 20 year old Bird of Prey and no match for the Enterprise that is until they fuck with Laforge's eye piece so they see what he sees and return him to the Enterprise. In the meantime Jean Luc has been beamed down to the planet with Dr. Soran as he prepares to launch a missie at the sun and destroy it thereby destroying everything in the system but getting him to the Nexus where he has been trying to get to ever since the Enterprise B rescue mission.

So whilst Picard is dealing with Soran on the planet Laforge heads down to engineering with the Klingons watching. They get the frequency of the force fields this way and send torpedos out that go straight through the Enter[prise's shields. The Enterprise eventually destroys the Klingons but not until the Enterprise is so badly damaged that they must detach the saucer section and crash land on the planet. Ultimately they all get destroyed but Jean Luc gets sucked into the nexus where he learns he can leave at any time. Picard enlists the aid of Captain Kirk and they go back in time to just before the missile launches to defeat Soran. Blah, blah,blah a fight ensues and ultimately Soran is defeated by Kirk and Picard but not without losing Kirk. His last words "It was fun" "Oh My" and then he dies. First of all he was always supposed to die alone not with Picard. ANd I'd think the great Cap't Kirk would have more to say as he was dying.

Anyway, everybody was saved and I would have to mention the comic relief of data getting his emotion chip put in. I don't know.

The next one First Contact is amazing. Right up there with Khan.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

"We must draw the line here. This far, no farther."

The greatest line from Jean Luc-Picard.

To gear up for for First Contact I watched the 2 Best of Both Worlds episodes where Jean Luc gets assimilated by the Borg and becomes Locutus. Maybe the best episodes of any Star Trek. The Borg are definitely the most badass of any Star Trek enemy but who came first The Borg or the Strogg?

First Contact is far and away the best NG movie and indeed is right up there with Wrath of Khan though maybe not quite as good as that one.

The Enterprise told to stay away from the conflict disobeys orders and makes it to Earth just in time to take over the fleets losing battle with the Borg Cube. Jean Luc's experience with the Borg leaves him with the knowledge of where exactely to hit them. He orders the remaining ships to attack a specific location and the Borg Cube is destroyed. Before it explodes it launched a smaller ship towards Earth and travels back in time to try to assimilate Earth but the Enterprise is hot on their heels and travels back in time with them to just after the third World War. On their way back however they realize that the Earth has been assimilated by the Borg. They destroy the Borg and realize they were attacking a spot where in 2 days first contact with an alien race will take place so they go down to help.

On the surface they find the father of the warp drive Dr. Zefram Cochrane played by James Cromwell. The warp ship has been damaged so they must repair it so the Vulcans passing by will detect the warp signiature of the first warp flight and take notice of humans for the first time. Meanwhile the Borg had somehow transported on to the Enterprise during the attack and have begun assimilating the ship. Ultimately Jean Luc admits that they have lost the Enterprise and orders self destruct and for all hands to abandon ship. He stays behind however to try and save Data. Meanwhile Cochrane along with La Forge and Number 1 make the first warp flight and indeed are noticed by the Vulcans. Data saves the Enterprise and all hands are brought back to the ship for the flight ahead in time to home at last.

A wonderful movie and absolutely the best the NG has to offer. Now Paramount can I have the Blu-ray?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Star Trek: Insurrection

I can't remember Nemesis very well since I've seen that one the least but I don't like this one all that much. Picard and his crew uncover a plot between the Federation and the So'na to transplant a peaceful people the Ba'ku and destroy their planet. Picard leads an insurrection and saves the people and the world. There's some short bits of ship to ship combat as well as combat on the planet but otherwise it's pretty dull and the enemies in this one, the face-lifting So'na don't do much for me. Star Trek V is a more exciting movie than this.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Star Trek Nemesis

The Romulans call Picard and the Enterprise to Romulus for peace talks. Awaiting his arrival is Praetor Shinzon, Picards clone, He brings a message of peace but what he really wants is to capture Picard to undergo an operation that will save him but leave Picard dead and then he wants to destroy Earth with the Tachyon weapon he has built into his very impressive ship.

It's been awhile since I've seen this one but I like it alot. Plenty of space combat to keep any Star Trek fan happy. Data is lost in this movie, giving his life to save the Enterprise and Riker and Troi get married before heading off to Riker's first assignment as captain of his own ship. At the end of the movie Riker says,"It's been an honor serving with you" and Picard says in return,"the Honor is mine" however when they were filming that scene Stewart could not say his line.

Indeed a good end to wrap up TNG crew and the 10 run Star Trek movies. I guess we'll have to wait and see how the new Star Trek crew compares.

The Enterprise 1701-E is definitely the most badass Enterprise of them all although I'll have to see the new Enterprise again to compare.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

Another cool thing that came out of The Captains summit, I think it was Nimoy that brought it up, he got a letter from a firefighter and in it he wrote that whever thigs start looking too grim he likes to watch Star Trek. Seeing a relativley happy Earth born from the ashes of a Third World War. In the Trek universe the amassing of wealth is gone and instead people strive to make themselves better.

It's definitely one of the few science fiction shows that show Earth a much better place to be than it is right now.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

The Next Generation Films, TOS Season 2 and the new Star Trek movie are all hitting Blu-ray in a couple of weeks. I'm gonna be hurting.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

Picked up a very interesting sounding book the other day.

The View From The Bridge: Memories Of Star Trek And A Life In Hollywood by Nicholas Meyer.

He wrote and directed Star Trek II and VI and cowrote IV. Arguably 3 of the best with Wrath of Khan being not only THE best but one of the best sci-fi films ever made.

I also love Time After Time.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

Picked up another interesting book today, The Physics of Star Trek by Lawrence M. Krauss with a foreward by Stephen Hawking that is great. He closes it by saying..

"To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the human spirit."