AMC Admits THE WALKING DEAD Lost Viewers Over Negan

Well, well. AMC president Sarah Barnett admits that The Walking Dead lost viewers because Jeffrey Dean Morgan’s Negan was “too hopeless” a villain.

Specifically, she tells L.A. Times: “In terms of the quality question, I think that with 10 seasons of television — something like ER or Grey’s Anatomy — shows go through spurts. We’ve done a lot of research on the response to it and we certainly have our own thoughts about it. It’s true to say that that season with Negan [a mega-villain played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan] became a little too hopeless for audiences. I think that there was creative intention behind it that was really smart and thoughtful, but I think it probably pushed people to a place where it was a lot to take at a time when maybe people just didn’t want to see that.”

RELATED: NEGAN KILLED THE WALKING DEAD

So what do you think? Is Negan responsible for killing The Walking Dead? Let us know in the comments below or over on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram

For the one guy out there that doesn’t know, The Walking Dead is based on the comic book series written by Robert Kirkman and portrays life in the months and years that follow a zombie apocalypse with a group of survivors searching for safety and a secure home.

RELATED: THE WALKING DEAD MOVIE(S) HEADED IN WILD NEW DIRECTIONS

But the pressure each day to stay alive sends many in the group to the deepest depths of human cruelty, and they soon discover that the overwhelming fear of the survivors can be more deadly than the zombies walking among them. At times, the interpersonal conflicts present a greater threat to their continuing survival than the walkers that roam the country.

Developed by Frank Darabont (The Shawshank RedemptionThe Mist) the series originally starred Andrew Lincoln, Jon Bernthal, Sarah Wayne Callies, Laurie Holden, Jeffrey DeMunn, Steven Yeun, Chandler Riggs, Norman Reedus, and Michael Rooker.

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: