FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Brutal Legend
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:53 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

My review is coming, I'm a little past where Floydian is now. Going to try to plow through the rest tonight. Can't stop just wandering around finding cool shit. The game has Brian Posehn in it. As, well, Brian Posehn. That right there should give you an idea where the 'awesome' meter is set at.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

'Til your review gets here. Here's Dave's....

After sitting atop my Most Wanted list for 3 consecutive Year in Review issues; a day at Double Fine to sample the goods for a pair of covers, a close encounter of the GWAR kind at this year’s Comic-Con, and playing untold hours since the first playable arrived, Brutal Legend is now, officially, out. What the f**k am I supposed to do now? After two tours on 360, once my PS3 campaign comes to a close... all the serpents unbound, landmarks viewed, artifacts gathered, and heads banged--what then? How do I break it to Ironheade that I’m leaving for good? And who’ll look after The Deuce? I’ve got a ton of Tribute invested in that car. ...I suppose I’ll just march around kickin’ ass until EA and Double Fine decide to drop in some DLC... There’s much to see, hear and do after Brütal Legend “ends” but first things first...

Since the first video game forged from the fiery furnace of heavy metal isn’t closed captioned for the metal impaired, it’s important to note that while Brütal Legend pays homage to the heyday of Heavy Metal, spoofs Hair (a.k.a. Pop) Metal, basks in the hollows of Black Metal, and drives a knee into the ball sack of the Second Wave of American Tween Melodic Rap Metalcore, it never veers anywhere near typical video game spoofery or cliché.

Brutal Legend plays like it’s pouring out of Tim Schafer’s head and Jack Black’s persona; two men unquestionably reared on 70's Metal, funneled through a studio full of ultra talented like-minded designers, artists, writers, and programmers. Of the many universes swirling around in Mr. Schafer’s head, anyone who’s rattled around in there will tell you that no matter what the premise, he goes for broke...his way. Like all the best story tellers, wherever he landed in the entertainment canon he was destined to shine brightly. Lucky for us he found a way to become the master of his own little universe in the game industry.

I don’t like point-and-click adventures. I don’t hate them; I just don’t see the, er, point. I’m not real big on the whole mouse and keyboard thing either, yet I was compelled to buy a “gaming rig” for the sole purpose of pointing and clicking my way through Grim Fandango. What choice did I have? It wasn’t like the master of all things point-y and click-y was about to do a complete 180 and start making console-based platformers. I still check my game stash regularly to make sure I didn’t dream playing Psychonauts; but a game based on Heavy Metal, the very foundation on which my youth was chiseled? No way.. yeah way.

After sampling the first 30 minutes or so earlier this year, I had Brutal Legend pegged as an open-world/linear-adventure hybrid, although it definitely settles into an open-world groove soon after. It’s definitely not your average open-world game though. In fact it’s not your “average” anything.

you’ve ever been to a Licorice Pizza or own (or owned) an album collection containing Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest or any other larger-than-life band before the music industry bit the big dog-doo snow cone, it’s easy to see where Eddie Riggs is coming from. While there are still great bands around in our world (including a few of the old guard like Scorpions, Metallica, and Rush) in Eddie’s world the age of metal gods like Judas Priest and Black Sabbath is 100% dead...just like Eddie, after the best opening cinema, following the best opening sequence EVER. Next stop, the temple of Ormagöden, the Fire God whose obliterated carcass brought new life to the world as you’re about to come to know it.

Once you’ve escaped the temple with the Separator (Eddie’s axe) and Clementine (Eddie’s other axe) Brütal Legend begins to take shape once you’ve freed the headbangers (Ironheade) and delivered some very special bass strings to the Killmaster; essentially building your army and saving your girl, Ophelia, who was injured saving the Razor Girls from Lionwhyte’s Pleasure Tower (it’s complicated), it’s onto your first stage battle.

Stage Battles are both tactical and action packed; more or less so depending on the difficulty setting you select. On Gentle, they’re mostly action, with light tactics; on Normal about 50/50; and on Brutal, well, good luck getting through Lionwhyte’s Sanctuary of Sin. Stage Battles incorporate simple D-pad commands for recruiting along with soloing and melee combat, and are a major part of the Brutal Legend dynamic, driving both the story and progression through the world. With opposing concert stages on either side, it’s all about gaining and maintaining control of the Fan Geysers in between, by building Merch Towers over them that feed them to the stage. The more fans you amass, the more legions you can recruit, and legions rule. Headbangers, Razor Girls, Roadies, Headsplitters, Metal Beasts, Thunderhogs, Fire Barons...Eddie has a Double Team move with each, can attack solo, or when he’s not soloing—playing power chords for various attacks and tactics—can simply fly around and direct. Where’d he get the wings? Let’s just say they run in the family. The Rock Crusher is definitely the star of the show though. A massive assault vehicle armed with pyro mortars that rain death from the sky, portable speaker stacks to motivate nearby troops, and a front spinning crusher that will churn all comers into creamy mulch; it’s the best tool in the shed by far.

If Eddie affects the world around him in many ways. By discovering and playing the Relic Raiser solo in front of Tab Slabs he begins to rack up more solos, displayed on a handy wheel. Just spin, point and play... There are solos for summoning the Deuce, melting faces—so lovely, invoking your own private sunrise, or even calling down a certain flaming zeppelin you might recognize. Raising giant supercharged Hemi’s that pepper the landscape, your subterranean parking comes complete with its own Guardian of Metal—and who do you suppose that could be? Yes, the Oz man himself sells you Deuce, Clementine, and Separator upgrades. Parts, paint, weapons, strings, new moves...if you’ve got the Fire Tribute he’s got the power. Fire Tribute is awarded for completing core and secondary missions or by interacting with the vast wilderness around you. Raising Buried Metal for instance adds new songs to your playlist while launching the Deuce off natural ramps through Lightning Plug swarms renders Tribute. There’s so much to do and see in the world and so many places to discover, the exploration is a game unto itself.

Secondary missions are plentiful and like everything else: Metal as can be. If you’re in a hurry, say, gearing up for a crucial Stage Battle, ambushes are quick ‘n’ dirty fun. Set the light of the Metal Gods (your waypoint) for the nearest Ironheade Sneak Attack and help your Headbangers keep the peace. Elsewhere the individual/story driven asides are what really shine. Race the Battered Plains pits Eddie against Fletus, a bug-eyed demon that drives a “Big Daddy” Roth-style Funny Car called the Squealer in an ongoing racing rivalry (do it for the sauce) that never gets old; in Summon Fiery Death, Eddie marks the spot for The Cannoniers’ missiles (Gass who?); and in Overslaughter, Eddie goes mano e mano with the Hunter, killing way to many indigenous creatures. The last creature Eddie kills shows up whenever he plays the Call of the Wild solo so, think about it. And do ride the Razorfire Boars.

Like all of Tim Schafer’s games, the heart and soul of Brütal Legend is its story... And while Brütal Legend may start out seeming decidedly straightforward for a Schafer yarn, the first kiss changes everything, but nothing will prepare you for the twists ahead. By game’s end you’ll feel like Brütal Legend is home and home will seem empty without it. You might not expect much from a story about an old-school Metal roadie transported to a parallel universe where his skills turn the tide in humanity’s struggle against its demonic oppressors (unless of course you know the Milkman) but between the writing, acting and the performances Double Fine manages to pull out of their real-time characters, it’s, well, it’s just the best there is.

The cast is perfection but Jack Black IS Eddie Riggs and Tim Curry is in rare form... Dr. Frankenfurter in the house. Every last Metal icon hits their mark too ...Rob Halford, Lemmy, and especially Ozzie made my millennium. When the prince of darkness tells you to “go f**king crazy!” you’d be obliged to listen.

Racing across the most picturesque landscapes I’ve ever seen, period, game or otherwise, surrounded by runes and vestiges that stir the mind and he soul...flames erupting from my headers, blasting “Blackout” as warring cells and indigenous beasts scurry about the immediate area all aware of each other and me, I found what I’ve been looking for. If I could climb the mountains and monuments I might never need another game. If only it could go on forever... Who knows, maybe it will; I just hope I find who I’m looking for. Lita’s all choked up.

In Tim and co. we trust. score

10+ out of ten verdict
Rottenjesus
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

I love this game. Simple as that.

Something fun, original and NOT a sequel. HORNS UP MOTHERFUCKERS!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:34 pm  Reply with quote

One thing right off the bat I can dispell is anything about the graphics not being uo to par. I'm a self admitted graphics whore and I think the game looks outstanding. This game is a childhood dream come true. I am in large, living, breathing metal universe.

I like how they always give you the option of continuing the stroy or going off wandering about at your leisure to find cool stuff. I can't wait to let loose the dragons.
vorodex999
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:42 am  Reply with quote

Best game in along time..well since Full Throttle!. lol Seriously though its like they took the best thing about epic metal..the covers of all those albums and world of warcraft and smashed them into am awesome game. Its a fun, smart and well crafted game. Its original to top it off. Which for me is a big plus and its funny. I'm currently in the process of downloading the songs from the entire game and making a specific Brutal legends soundtrack.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:57 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

My review is up. While I have issues with the length of the main campaign, and I think the RTS play needed more depth, it's safe to say I dug it.

BTW, just to let you cats know: we weren't going to cover BL here on the site, as it's actual horror content is questionable. However, due to your demands here in the forums, we called the ball and the review is up.

I wanted to make sure y'all knew: YOU guys are why we're here, and we DO listen!
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

I thank you for reviewing it. I'd like to see them make some money on this game. I think your review was pretty spot on too. Had I written one though it would have been more like Dave's because I'm just loving all the metal and Jack Black and can't get enough. I'm not interested in multiplayer at all.

This isn't like a typical game that crams a bunch of crappy metal songs in by bands noone has ever heard of or even the typical popular tracks they like to use. This has some great metal songs that don't get radio play in it that I love and songs that I've never heard but are awesome.