FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Kick-Ass
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:38 am  Reply with quote

Has anyone read this comic series? If so, how was it? I'm tempted to bid on all seven issues....
EvilRex
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:49 am  Reply with quote

It is an awesome book. I'm not much of Millar fan when he works in actual superhero continuity but he shines when he goes independent.

Only complaint is: when I was collecting the book, issues would be delayed frequently and you can lose momentum. But 7 issues at once is a good start, but I believe even at the end of issue 7 you feel as though the true story arc hasn't even started.

It's victim of putting cart before horse because there's the hype around the movie when the series hadn't even gotten deep into the story.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

Has the series been discontinued? Having been out of the comic scene for a long time I need someone to feed me all the latest and greatest news on worthy titles. I only recently got into The Walking Dead. Now I'm all caught up. One of the most addicting comic book series I've ever read.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

It's not discontinued, but it is definitely not on a consistent monthly release schedule. Your best bet is to subscribe for the series at your local store so you don't miss that surprise release.

My recommended reads right now are:
For Superheroes:
The Blackest Night event in the DCU. Primarily Green Lantern, but has a whole lot of horror elements going on right now. Great story thus far.

The Punisher Black Reign series (not the MAX title, although that one still rocks without Ennis writing); they've tied in the classic Scourge story with some really sinister and sick villains for Frank to face down.

The Boys is by far my top read. It's sick and over-the-top but has a dark, sharp wit taking down the superhero myth while paralleling it to recent Bush-era politics and corporate rule.

For non-superhero:
Marvel has adapted The Stand into to a series and it stays very true to the source material with excellent art and pacing.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:21 am  Reply with quote

I suggest spawn, with a new guy taking the riegns they are taking an entirely different direction. As for kick-ass, I say go for it. I absolutely love it.

Since you like the walking dead, I suggest haunt, capes, brit, and the astounding wolf-man. Invincible as well.

Anything else, I'm just starting to get into moreso then ever so i can't really recomend anything beyond that.