FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Vampire Diaries
Nimrod
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:52 am  Reply with quote

Can't find a thread on this. Kinda my guilty pleasure show, as it's basically Dawson's Creek with vampires. NOT genuine horror by a long shot. However, the vamp effects are really cool and the show is kinda like true blood in some ways, so it fills the void, lol. Anyone else checked this out?

Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:57 am  Reply with quote

I watched the first two episodes and I'm done. It's basically Twilight without the sparkles and Kristen Stewart.
Nimrod
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:59 am  Reply with quote

I can't bring myself to see Twilight so this'll have to do lol. The male lead in that annoys me.

Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:07 am  Reply with quote

Nimrod wrote:

I can't bring myself to see Twilight so this'll have to do lol. The male lead in that annoys me.

You're basically watching a BAD rip-off of it so you might well.
Nimrod
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:26 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Nimrod wrote:

You're basically watching a BAD rip-off of it so you might well.

You know what, you're totally right.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:13 am  Reply with quote

By the way, I'm not trying to be a dick. Watch Twilight and you'll see that I'm dead on.
Rob
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Technically this is based on a book series that came out before Twilight.

I've been watching it; I'd actually consider it a better version of Twilight, though I think the most interesting relationship on the show is between Ian Somerhalder and Candice Accola's characters. Though that seems to be over. Though the main relationship isn't quite as abusive as the main pairing in Twilight.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
Technically this is based on a book series that came out before Twilight.

I've been watching it; I'd actually consider it a better version of Twilight, though I think the most interesting relationship on the show is between Ian Somerhalder and Candice Accola's characters. Though that seems to be over. Though the main relationship isn't quite as abusive as the main pairing in Twilight.

I know it came out before it, but the series is nothing more than an obvious cash in. Glad you like it, though. I couldn't get passed the second episode. I'd rather watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer again and again. It used the Vampire in love with a mortal story as only PART of it's scope and it's done a million times better.
Rob
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

I know it came out before it, but the series is nothing more than an obvious cash in. Glad you like it, though. I couldn't get passed the second episode. I'd rather watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer again and again. It used the Vampire in love with a mortal story as only PART of it's scope and it's done a million times better.

I think the thing that keeps VD interesting is the cast; they don't fully feel like the typical CW types. I think the main standout with that is the lead girl's ex boyfriend who's actually a nice guy as opposed to making him some sort of jealous douchebag. I do however hate the girl who the lead girl's stoner brother is in love with. I was hoping Ian Somerhalder's character dropped her off the roof in the second episode. Too bad.

Buffy was a great show...at least until about Season 5. Then it was slowly and surely ran into the ground. It was the opposite of Angel. Angel got better as the show progressed and the last season was the best out of all of them, whereas Buffy Season 7 sucked horribly.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Rob wrote:

Buffy was a great show...at least until about Season 5. Then it was slowly and surely ran into the ground. It was the opposite of Angel. Angel got better as the show progressed and the last season was the best out of all of them, whereas Buffy Season 7 sucked horribly.

See, I disagree. I thought Season 5 was the strongest overall and while season 6 was a misstep, it was still good. Season 7 was a good season with a weak middle. Angel did get better until season 4 which was really bad, saved only by the last 4 episodes and season 5 was it back in form. Never felt like Angel was better than Buffy though.
Rob
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

See, I disagree. I thought Season 5 was the strongest overall and while season 6 was a misstep, it was still good. Season 7 was a good season with a weak middle. Angel did get better until season 4 which was really bad, saved only by the last 4 episodes and season 5 was it back in form. Never felt like Angel was better than Buffy though.

I don't think season 5 of Buffy was horrible; it definitely had its moments, particularly The Body. That episode was brilliant. I think Buffy's highest moments were Seasons 2 and 3. Season 4 was alright, but I felt The Initiative and Adam were both horribly misused. I liked the one episode where Adam 'converted' the group of vampires, and felt it would've been neat to see him lead the vampires and demons like some sort of messiah, and it never came to that.

Season 6 was decent, with the final four episodes being quite the rollercoaster. Then Season 7...I don't know, it was like everyone just suddenly turned into whiny bitches with the exception of Andrew. And the finale was so anticlimactic. With Angel's series finale while it could be considered a cliffhanger, at the same time you know it's the end; they're going out fighting the good fight like always. With Buffy's, it was just so very 'meh.'

And I do agree with you on Angel Season 4. Absolute crap. David as Angelus was the one thing that kept it from being a complete waste of time.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

Rob wrote:

I don't think season 5 of Buffy was horrible; it definitely had its moments, particularly The Body. That episode was brilliant. I think Buffy's highest moments were Seasons 2 and 3. Season 4 was alright, but I felt The Initiative and Adam were both horribly misused. I liked the one episode where Adam 'converted' the group of vampires, and felt it would've been neat to see him lead the vampires and demons like some sort of messiah, and it never came to that.

Season 6 was decent, with the final four episodes being quite the rollercoaster. Then Season 7...I don't know, it was like everyone just suddenly turned into whiny bitches with the exception of Andrew. And the finale was so anticlimactic. With Angel's series finale while it could be considered a cliffhanger, at the same time you know it's the end; they're going out fighting the good fight like always. With Buffy's, it was just so very 'meh.'

I absolutely LOVED Buffy's finale. The central theme of the show was there, wrapped up, and it had closure. Upon first viewing I hated Angel's finale but after I watched the series again, I grew to appreciate it because again, the theme was there and while the action was open ended, the theme wasn't. It was wrapped up as it should have been.

Quote:
And I do agree with you on Angel Season 4. Absolute crap. David as Angelus was the one thing that kept it from being a complete waste of time.

See and I thought Angelus is season 4 was terrible. He did nothing but act smarmy and chew scenery. The only thing he did that felt like Angelus was when he was locked in the cage. He didn't torment or kill anyone, and while I know it served the plot, him not killing Cordelia was incredibly out of character.
Rob
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

See and I thought Angelus is season 4 was terrible. He did nothing but act smarmy and chew scenery. The only thing he did that felt like Angelus was when he was locked in the cage. He didn't torment or kill anyone, and while I know it served the plot, him not killing Cordelia was incredibly out of character.

I do agree he wasn't anything close to being like he was on Buffy Season 2, but compared to the rest of the crap from that season he was a breath of fresh air.

As for the Buffy Series finale, I do see that the theme was wrapped up, but the way it was wrapped up...I don't know, it just didn't do anything for me. The highlight of the finale to me was right before the battle and it's just Buffy, Willow, Xander and Giles, the original four, and that talk, ending with Giles walking off muttering 'The earth is definitely doomed.'

Of course, regardless of my feelings of that season, it was leagues better than any season of Charmed. Holy shit...actually take out the holy part and that sums it up. How that show got eight seasons and Angel only got 5 I'll never understand.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

Angel was a much darker show and it didn't appeal to as broad of an audience. Ratings, pure and simple.
Rob
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:15 pm  Reply with quote

Angel was a much darker show and it didn't appeal to as broad of an audience. Ratings, pure and simple.

It's quite sad. I remember turning on one of the last episodes of that show and thinking that some of scifi's original movies had better written scripts than the one I was watching. And all those viewers went and kept the show going for an extra season. *shakes head*