Director Talks Abandoned BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN Reboot

You might remember Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh and Beauty and the Beast director Bill Condon’s planned Bride of Frankenstein reboot with Angelina Jolie was canceled at the last minute a couple of years back. And today, Condon was asked by Collider if he could finally speak about his abandoned remake.

Condon replied, “That was a heartbreaker, really. We were involved, we were prepping, we were deep into it, and I have to say… the simplest way to say it is that I think The Mummy, and not to say anything against the movie, but the fact that that hadn’t worked for them and it was the beginning of this whole reinvention of their monsters gave them cold feet at the end of the day. Because David Koepp was writing the script, I thought it was unbelievably good, and we were on the verge of making a really beautiful movie, I thought. So that was a shame.”

He adds, “[It] was devised as a great big movie, and at the end of the day probably these movies should be smaller.”

And finally, “[screenwriter] David [Koepp], I think, is still involved in figuring out the new approach.”

Are you up for a new Bride of Frankenstein? Let us know in the comments below or over on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram

The original Bride of Frankenstein began after recovering from injuries sustained in the mob attack upon himself and his creation, Dr. Frankenstein falls under the control of his former mentor, Dr. Pretorius, who insists the now-chastened doctor resume his experiments in creating new life.

Meanwhile, the Monster remains on the run from those who wish to destroy him without understanding that his intentions are generally good despite his lack of socialization and self-control.

Bride of Frankenstein was directed by James Whale from a screenplay written by William Hurlbut from a story by Hurlbut and John L. Balderston based on a premise suggested by Frankenstein written by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley.

Carl Laemmle Jr. produced Bride of Frankenstein which starred Boris Karloff, Colin Clive, Valerie Hobson, Elsa Lanchester, Ernest Thesiger, and E. E. Clive. Universal Pictures unleashed the classic monster mash back on April 20, 1935.

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: