Stephen King Responds to DOCTOR SLEEP Box-Office Underperformance

The Haunting of Hill House and Gerald’s Game director Mike Flanagan’s adaptation of Stephen King’s The Shining sequel, Doctor Sleep opened in theaters this past Friday.

Earlier today we passed along word that the film opened to a disappointing $14M this past weekend. And now we have Stephen King’s thoughts on the matter.

Personally, I’m very surprised to see the movie open this low. Now I’m not (officially) a box-office expert, but the last time I was THIS off about how much a movie would make opening weekend was back when Zack Snyder’s 300 snagged $70.8M opening weekend. And that was back in 2007!

The sequel centers on an adult Danny Torrance who is struggling with alcoholism and remains traumatized by the sinister events that occurred at the Overlook Hotel when he was a child.

His hope for a peaceful existence soon becomes shattered when he meets Abra, a teen who shares his extrasensory gift of the “shine.” Together, they form an unlikely alliance to battle the True Knot, a cult whose members try to feed off the shine of innocents to become immortal.

Mike Flanagan directed Doctor Sleep from a screenplay he wrote himself based on the novel by Stephen King. Trevor Macy produced along with Jon Berg and the film starred Ewan McGregor, Rebecca Ferguson, Kyliegh Curran, and Cliff Curtis.

It is now playing at a theater near you.

Did YOU see Doctor Sleep in theaters this past weekend? What did you think? Let us know in the comments below or over on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: