DOCTOR SLEEP ‘Redeems’ Stanley Kubrick’s THE SHINING Says Stephen King

As much as all of us love director Stanley Kubrick’s 1980 adaptation of Stephen King’s The Shining, there is one soul wandering this here Earth that thinks the flick is sh*t. And that man is Stephen King himself. Bummer.

But there is a silver-lining as today we’ve learned from EW that King thinks The Haunting of Hill House and Gerald’s Game director Mike Flanagan’s upcoming adaptation of King’s The Shining sequel, Doctor Sleep, “redeems” all the wrongs Kubrick’s film committed.

Specifically, King says: “I read the script to this one very, very carefully, because obviously I wanted to do a good job with the sequel because people knew the book The Shining, and I thought, I don’t want to screw this up. Mike Flanagan, I’ve enjoyed all his movies, and I’ve worked with him before on Gerald’s Game. So, I read the script very, very carefully and I said to myself, ‘Everything that I ever disliked about the Kubrick version of The Shining is redeemed for me here.

Well, I guess we’ll all finally have the chance to see for ourselves soon as Mike Flanagan’s Doctor Sleep opens this Friday. Will you be checking it out? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram

Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining follows Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) who becomes winter caretaker at the isolated Overlook Hotel in Colorado, hoping to cure his writer’s block. He settles in along with his wife, Wendy (Shelley Duvall), and his son, Danny (Danny Lloyd), who is plagued by psychic premonitions. As Jack’s writing goes nowhere and Danny’s visions become more disturbing, Jack discovers the hotel’s dark secrets and begins to unravel into a homicidal maniac hell-bent on terrorizing his family.

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: