Here’s How the Success of JOKER May Kickstart Todd McFarlane’s Lagging SPAWN Remake

We’ve been following the development of Todd McFarlane’s Spawn reboot for years now. At times, the artist/filmmaker has seemed frustrated by lack of studio support and even hinted he might turn to crowdfunding in order to get his “Hard R” reboot made. But Spawn may have found an unlikely ally in the form of Todd Phillips’ Joker.

McFarlane told the Phoenix New Times:

“We keep pushing for it. It’s interesting cause the Marvel movies, the MCU, has been doing quite well and those are PG-13 movies. I keep trying to convince people that doing a dark, serious comic book movie will work. There’s been so much success with these PG-13 movies that there’s a resistance to them in Hollywood. But since Joker came out, it proves what I’ve been saying for over two years to any executives I can talk to. Serious dark comic books can work. R-movies can succeed. So now, all of a sudden, I’ve been getting a lot of phone calls saying, ‘Todd, we need to talk to you about that R-rated dark thing you wanted to do.’ So Joker did me a favor.”

Joker is still playing in many US theaters. Check out the synopsis and trailer below.

Synopsis:
In Gotham City, mentally-troubled comedian Arthur Fleck is disregarded and mistreated by society. He then embarks on a downward spiral of revolution and bloody crime. This path brings him face-to-face with his alter-ego: “The Joker”.

Joker stars Joaquin Phoenix, Robert De Niro, and Zazie Beetz.

Are you a fan of Todd Phillips’ Joker? Do you hope the film’s success will kickstart Todd McFarlane’s lagging Spawn reboot? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram! You can also carry on the convo with me personally on Twitter @josh_millican.

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: