FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> War Films
Emy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Anyway, I don't see boring unless you're just an action junky.

I do see this movie as boring and I def. am not an action junkie...

Just look up my previous posts and you'll see. Some of my fav movies are def. not action oriented... Here's a few of my favs:
Amelie
The Princess and the Warrior
Splendor
The Big Blue
Vanity Fair
Queen Margot
resevil80
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

Eyes Wide Shut...Boring.....

Just because a movie contains little to no action does not make it boring.....just nothing was said or done during eyes wide shut to make me care....
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:51 pm  Reply with quote

Over the weekend I watched The Patriot and Glory. Both excellent movies but war back then was odd to say the least. Soldiers dressed in highly colorful uniforms spreading across a battlefield marching perfectly to within 50 feet of the the enemy. Then the shooting begins one side after another as men fall rank by rank from bullets and canon balls. Almost seemingly choreographed especially the English in the Revolutionary war who at the time were the most highly trained and skilled force on the planet. It almost plays out like a game of Risk with the roll of the dice.

Tonight we're watching 300 which I love the shit out of and have watched countless times since its release. The Spartans was a strange society built for war but never seeming to ever want to get involved in one.

I'm also looking forward to watching Mongol in the next day or so. I'm glad the movie is in Mongolian as it lends that much more authenticity to the film. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

I love 300. It kicks so much ass it's not even funny.

I love the slo-mo battle sequences and limbs getting hacked off.

Never retreat, Never surrender.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:09 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Over the weekend I watched The Patriot and Glory. Both excellent movies but war back then was odd to say the least. Soldiers dressed in highly colorful uniforms spreading across a battlefield marching perfectly to within 50 feet of the the enemy. Then the shooting begins one side after another as men fall rank by rank from bullets and canon balls. Almost seemingly choreographed especially the English in the Revolutionary war who at the time were the most highly trained and skilled force on the planet. It almost plays out like a game of Risk with the roll of the dice.

Tonight we're watching 300 which I love the shit out of and have watched countless times since its release. The Spartans was a strange society built for war but never seeming to ever want to get involved in one.

I'm also looking forward to watching Mongol in the next day or so. I'm glad the movie is in Mongolian as it lends that much more authenticity to the film. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I've been doing some reading on the American Revolution. It's odd to think that we thought ourselves pretty smart to fight an unconvential war, almost guerrilla war, against an occupying army who, when it came to the civilian population, didn't know who was friend or enemy. They were so pissed that we kept breaking the rules. But yet, here we are now. Don't interpret this as any sort of political statement. It's just interesting how history repeats itself. It would also be neat to see more film deal with the Revolution and the people and climate of the time. It's a hellava lot more interesting than your high school english teacher would have you belive.

Plus, Ben Franklin. 70+years old and busy banging French milfs between court appearances. Who can argue with that?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:34 pm  Reply with quote

Gus Bjork wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

I've been doing some reading on the American Revolution. It's odd to think that we thought ourselves pretty smart to fight an unconvential war, almost guerrilla war, against an occupying army who, when it came to the civilian population, didn't know who was friend or enemy. They were so pissed that we kept breaking the rules. But yet, here we are now. Don't interpret this as any sort of political statement. It's just interesting how history repeats itself. It would also be neat to see more film deal with the Revolution and the people and climate of the time. It's a hellava lot more interesting than your high school english teacher would have you belive.

Plus, Ben Franklin. 70+years old and busy banging French milfs between court appearances. Who can argue with that?

Laughing And Lincoln growing fields of marijuana. You can't tell me he wasn't smoking that shit. The Revolutionary period is incredibly interesting and I'd like to read more about it myself. Yeah, High School history class makes it seem so dull doesn't it?

We had some brilliant leaders and generals at the time though to outwit the best of England which was brilliance as well.

Interesting times indeed.

I think I should have been Spartan though or perhaps was in a past life. Well except for the homosexuality aspect of their life which I wouldn't have wanted to have anything to do with.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:51 am  Reply with quote

What about movies about Genghis Khan? I've yet to see one. Recommendations?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:50 am  Reply with quote

Gus Bjork wrote:
What about movies about Genghis Khan? I've yet to see one. Recommendations?

Just watched Mongol. It wasn't what I was expecting but it's a very well made movie and interesting. It basically is the story of Genghis as he's growing up before he was known as Genghis Khan. He spent alot of time in captivity. It's got some good fight sequeunces and goes up to the point that he first came into power over all the Mongols. Definitely check it out. The only problem with the movie is the occasinal jarring editing but other than that it's solid.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

Also, I never knew anything about Genghis Khan but I've always pictured him as nothing but a blood thirsty warlord which isn't how he's portrayed in the movie at all. Along with his quest to bring order and law to the Mongols was his devotion to his wife who kept getting taken away from him. She is portrayed as a very strong woman in the movie much like Leonidas's wife in 300 who just kicks ass.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

Watched Black Hawk Down again and it reminded me of something that happened to me. It's the dialogue from hoot and Eversman talking about people questioning what they're doing in the military.

I was in "A" school at Great Lakes Naval Base and had gone out on town in uniform to buy a car stereo for my 4X4. I came out of the store carrying it and into the parking lot where I walked by a group of about 6 guys. They looked at me and knocked the stereo out of my hand and said, "Look at this Navy fag buying a car stereo with our money". I know when to fight and when to walk away so I picked it up, didn't say a word and got in my truck. I didn't really think much about it until I found myself in Desert Storm and was wondering if they remembered doing that.

I can't even imagine what it must have been like for Vietnam Vets and really how any American can not have respect for the military.

It just boggles my mind.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

The Hurt Locker can sit next to any of the greats.