Books: TAKING SHAPE: DEVELOPING HALLOWEEN FROM SCRIPT TO SCREAM by Dustin McNeill & Dread Central’s Travis Mullins

Silver Shamrock. Thorn. White Horses. It’s all in here. Join authors Dustin McNeill (Slash of the Titans: The Road to Freddy vs Jason, Phantasm: Exhumed) and Dread Central’s own Travis Mullins for a deep dive into the evolution of Halloween’s vast mythology. Extensively researched, this is the ultimate guide to the first forty years of Haddonfield history. Rejected scripts, deleted scenes, unused ideas, alternate versions – this is a book about what you did and didn’t see on the big screen. Taking Shape also features new interviews with filmmakers from every installment. Prepare to gain new insight into Halloween’s iconic boogeyman. Oh, you don’t believe in the boogeyman? You should.

Taking Shape contains:

• Comprehensive story analysis on the entire series!
  • A rundown of all deleted and alternate scenes!
  • A look at what scholars got right (and wrong) about H1!
  • Exclusive details on Nigel Kneale’s original H3 script!
  • Comparisons of early scripts to the final theatrical films!
  • A rare interview with H5 screenwriter Michael Jacobs!
  • An exhaustive account of H6‘s troubled production!
  • An examination of H20’s roots as a direct-to-video sequel!
  • A revealing look behind the grunge of the Rob Zombie era!
  • Insight into how test audiences and execs shaped the films!
  • In-depth dissection of the official novelizations!
    Taking Shape also includes in-depth interviews with:
  • Author Curtis Richards discusses expanding H1’s story for the official novelization.
  • Cinematographer Dean Cundey recalls the unique challenges of making H2.
  • Director Tommy Lee Wallace looks back on having to re-write H3’s original script.
  • Screenwriter Larry Rattner opens up about cracking the story for H4.
  • In his only interview ever, filmmaker Michael Jacobs recalls his experience writing H5.
  • H5 director Domonique Othenin-Girard talks deleted scenes and creative differences.
  • Screenwriter Daniel Farrands reflects on H6’s seemingly cursed production.
  • Exec producer Kevin Williamson discusses how the Shape cheated death in H20.
  • H8 scribe Larry Brand candidly dishes on test audiences and studio interference.
  • Cinematographer Phil Parmet opens up about the difficulties of RZH1’s shoot.
  • Editor Glenn Garland reveals how studio politics affected both Rob Zombie films.
  • Exec Producer David Thwaites tells how Miramax took back the rights for H40.
  • And more! These are just some of the interviews featured within the book!

QUOTES FROM THE AUTHORS

TRAVIS MULLINS: “Dustin had reached out because of an interview I had done with Robert Harders, who once pitched a very different Halloween 5 (my very first Dread article!) So, it was actually because of Dread that I was able to get involved with this.”

DUSTIN McNEILL: “As fans of the entire series, we wanted to make sure we gave special attention to every installment. Sure, John Carpenter’s original will always reign supreme, but Halloween’s legacy encompasses more than just one movie. We interviewed filmmakers from every Halloween currently out there, even the most recent one from Blumhouse. There is no part of this franchise we skip over in our coverage. So, no matter what sequel you dig the most – whether that’s Halloween III or Halloween H20, there’s something special within our book waiting for you.”

TRAVIS MULLINS: “If you’ve read Slash of the Titans, then you know that Dustin goes hard on research. As far as my involvement, I uncovered some new info and added a bit of commentary, emphasizing some of the films’ subtext. For example, a lot of fans have bemoaned the decision to reveal Michael and Laurie as siblings in Halloween II. Yet Halloween H20 really elevated this angle. Personal opinion here, but that film’s finale wouldn’t have been near as strong had that not been included. We can debate the sister angle all we want but as a whole, H20 gave it gravitas, so that’s just a bit of what you can expect with the book.

“My interview with Halloween 5’s Dominique Othenin-Girard was terrific. He was extremely thoughtful and rationalized a lot of the film’s more questionable choices – all while dishing some great French idioms. I’ve always been a fan of Tina, for example, and Dominique goes really in-depth with comparing Rachel and Tina and commenting on the fans’ disappointment with that switcheroo. Probably one of my favorite interviews ever.

“Dustin was able to speak with Larry Brand, the writer for Halloween: Resurrection, just prior to Larry’s passing. It’s bittersweet – especially because Larry relayed some great insight into how his original vision sort of devolved into the film we know as one of the least favorites. With that, you might just gain a better understanding and appreciation. Also, he did not hold back on Dimension Films for how the film turned out.

“For the last year, it’s pretty much been non-stop research, interviews, revisions, etc. This was a labor of love and there is so much info to be found here. We hope it lives up to expectations. We’ve compiled so much material, we actually had to split the book and interviews in half. We’re developing the “sequel” now. Obtaining Nigel Kneale’s draft for Halloween III was a miracle and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.”

You can grab your copy over on Amazon today for $23.99!

Are you a fan of the Halloween franchise? Are you excited to dive into Taking Shape? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram! You can also carry on the convo with me personally on Twitter @josh_millican.

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: