FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> 100 Worst Movies of the 20th Century
Sam Hell
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:17 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 2926

COBRA?!?!?! GREASE 2?!?!?!?! POPEYE?!?!

...RED DAWN?!?!?!

They should be listed on a 100 Worst Critic's Lists Ever Conceived...list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:46 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 3019
Location: Hollywood

Sirand wrote:
Blair Witch?
Caligula?
Exorcist III?
Natural Born Killers?
Texas Chainsaw Massacre?
Twin Peaks?

Horeshit. "Opinion" my ass. Some of those are masterpieces. Just because you don't like them personally doesn't make them the "worst movies ever made." Fuck those guys.


Well, CALIGULA does indeed belong on any Worst list, for certain. The rest? Insanity.
_________________
"According to witnesses, testimony and evidence...this massacre was the work of ninjas!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gprime
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:55 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 2324
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Messiahman wrote:
Sirand wrote:
Blair Witch?
Caligula?
Exorcist III?
Natural Born Killers?
Texas Chainsaw Massacre?
Twin Peaks?

Horeshit. "Opinion" my ass. Some of those are masterpieces. Just because you don't like them personally doesn't make them the "worst movies ever made." Fuck those guys.


Well, CALIGULA does indeed belong on any Worst list, for certain. The rest? Insanity.


Substitute BWP for Caligula, and you're right. How the hell is Caligula among the 100 worst? Confused
_________________
Former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad says, “there is no such thing as a moderate Muslim.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:21 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 3019
Location: Hollywood

gprime wrote:
Messiahman wrote:
Sirand wrote:
Blair Witch?
Caligula?
Exorcist III?
Natural Born Killers?
Texas Chainsaw Massacre?
Twin Peaks?

Horeshit. "Opinion" my ass. Some of those are masterpieces. Just because you don't like them personally doesn't make them the "worst movies ever made." Fuck those guys.


Well, CALIGULA does indeed belong on any Worst list, for certain. The rest? Insanity.


Substitute BWP for Caligula, and you're right. How the hell is Caligula among the 100 worst? Confused


You're joking, right? Have you actually SEEN it? Between McDowell's ridiculously hammy performance. the horrifically laughable hardcore inserts, the complete lack of eroticism and Bob Guccione's sheer ineptitude, CALIGULA is easily one of the TEN worst movies ever made. There's absolutely NOTHING good about it -- BWP is friggin' CITIZEN KANE in comparison to CALIGULA'S epic badness.
_________________
"According to witnesses, testimony and evidence...this massacre was the work of ninjas!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sirand
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:20 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4003
Location: Hollyweird

I love, love, LOVE Caligula!

McDowell's performance is beautifully deranged and the rest of the cast do good work. I adore the production design, vicious set-pieces and Tinto Brass' direction. Gucciani's hardcore inserts are obvious, but when they're viewed in the context of the film's notorious production, somehow blend into the insanity of it all.

It's a bastard child of epic cinema and exploitation that should never have worked, but did.

"If only all of Rome had just one neck!"



And for the last time, BWP is a masterpiece of horror. All those still jaded by the hype need to stop throwing it into the "worst movies ever" list and just admit that it wasn't their cup of tea.


Last edited by Sirand on Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gprime
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:48 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 2324
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Messiahman wrote:
gprime wrote:
Messiahman wrote:
Sirand wrote:
Blair Witch?
Caligula?
Exorcist III?
Natural Born Killers?
Texas Chainsaw Massacre?
Twin Peaks?

Horeshit. "Opinion" my ass. Some of those are masterpieces. Just because you don't like them personally doesn't make them the "worst movies ever made." Fuck those guys.


Well, CALIGULA does indeed belong on any Worst list, for certain. The rest? Insanity.


Substitute BWP for Caligula, and you're right. How the hell is Caligula among the 100 worst? Confused


You're joking, right? Have you actually SEEN it? Between McDowell's ridiculously hammy performance. the horrifically laughable hardcore inserts, the complete lack of eroticism and Bob Guccione's sheer ineptitude, CALIGULA is easily one of the TEN worst movies ever made. There's absolutely NOTHING good about it -- BWP is friggin' CITIZEN KANE in comparison to CALIGULA'S epic badness.


Of course I've seen it. I own it on dvd. McDowell was still good, since he always is. Good acting all around really. And that lesbo insert in the middle, though pointless, was very excellent.
_________________
Former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad says, “there is no such thing as a moderate Muslim.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:01 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 3019
Location: Hollywood

gprime wrote:
Of course I've seen it. I own it on dvd. McDowell was still good, since he always is. Good acting all around really. And that lesbo insert in the middle, though pointless, was very excellent.


Obviously, taste is individualized, but I disagree with you on every note. McDowell, as with the rest of the cast, is abysmal -- his scenery chewing is just embarassing to watch (and no, he's not always good -- seen STAR TREK: GENERATIONS lately? Razz ) The sex scenes, particularly the lesbo insert, are some of the most UNsexy scenes ever put to film. The expensive sets look exactly like expensive sets. The film, IMO, is an atrocity on the Uwe Boll scale, only not even interesting as kitsch. More power to ya for liking it, but as far as I'm concerned, it damn well deserves a place on any Worst list. It might've been an interesting film, had Guccione not taken over the editing and turned it into a pathetic mishmash of truncated and misplaced scenes, out takes, rehearsal footage and dull sex inserts.

SALO it ain't. FELLINI SATYRICON it ain't. Erotic it ain't. Though it desperately wants to be all of those. It's a sad curiosity, nothing more. I understand exactly why both Gore Vidal and Tinto Brass disowned it. It's unwatchable garbage, a disaster cut together from blurry outtakes and test footage.
_________________
"According to witnesses, testimony and evidence...this massacre was the work of ninjas!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:13 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 3019
Location: Hollywood

Sirand wrote:
I love, love, LOVE Caligula!


Don't worry. I forgive you. Mr. Green
_________________
"According to witnesses, testimony and evidence...this massacre was the work of ninjas!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gprime
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:19 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 2324
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Messiahman wrote:


SALO it ain't.


That's a good thing. Salo was dull and umimpressive, and was basically Passolini's way of sharing his fecophilia with a larger audience.
_________________
Former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad says, “there is no such thing as a moderate Muslim.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:26 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 3019
Location: Hollywood

gprime wrote:
Messiahman wrote:


SALO it ain't.


That's a good thing. Salo was dull and umimpressive, and was basically Passolini's way of sharing his fecophilia with a larger audience.


Wow. now you've officially damned Cronenberg AND Pasolini.

You're off my Christmas Card list. Razz

SALO is every bit the masterpiece that CALIGULA is the colossal failure. Its depiction of the extremes of human degradation is truly radical, and it's highly doubtful that any film ever will ever surpass it in the future. It's a phenomenally powerful and disturbing film.

Whereas CALIGULA only disturbs by its sheer ineptitude.
_________________
"According to witnesses, testimony and evidence...this massacre was the work of ninjas!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Walter Paisley
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:30 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 102
Location: Spook City, USA

It seems like the voters just cobbled a list together from whatever was on the HBO or Showtime program schedule that weekend (or maybe what was left at BLOCKBUSTER).

Like those lists made by people who think DEATHSTALKER 2 or REVENGE OF THE NERDS are the bottom of the barrell.

Sure, I find alot of those films boring, or horribly outdated. But a good portion of that list isn't out and out "The Worst," and some of them aren't even actually "bad." I mean, I think BEACHES, or KRAMER vs. KRAMER, or SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER, or a million other movies (that aren't on any lists) are outdated and yawn inducing, but I can tell that they were competently made, just not about charecters or subjects that I find interesting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sgtpeppers
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:21 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 417

I agree with what everbody else has mentioned but what about Titanic? I know alot of people don't like it but to say its one of the 100 worst movies ever is ridiculous.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:24 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 2501
Location: In the dark...

Sirand wrote:




And for the last time, BWP is a masterpiece of horror. All those still jaded by the hype need to stop throwing it into the "worst movies ever" list and just admit that it wasn't their cup of tea.



My deep dislike of Blair Witch Project had absolutely nothing to do with it being hyped to any extent. It had to do with the fact that not a single character was likeable for one. I kept desperately praying they'd all be torn apart by something very large with lots of teeth just so they'd shut the fuck UP. Not to mention the fact that there was not a single moment that even gave me the shivers, let alone an actual scare. There was lots of running and screaming and 'oh my god what was that' moments but little else of substance in the way of horror.

Not to mention the camerawork.... and yes, I know that they were going for the authentic, amateurs running the camera look... but the fact is that I left the theater and I was LITERALLY ill. Joking aside, a pleasant movie-going experience does not end with me having a headache so bad I had to throw up. And not a single frame of that movie was worth the actual pain and nausea it caused.

I think the filmmakers idea was a great one, ambitious... and the premise of the storyline was interesting.... but the execution was abysmal. Just not entertaining in any respect.
_________________
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust." - T.S. Eliot

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sonny gaunt
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:11 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 1350
Location: Hellertown, PA

Hell it's funny but thse people left out a gang load of really bad dramas from the 70's there have to 100's if not thousands of bad Italian produced Breakfast at Tiffany's rip-offs that could fill the space.
Lists suck-look at how Heaven's Gate was on every shit-headed critics worst list for years till one of the lame-asses actually SAW it-now it's almost a classic.
But GYMKATA! Shit that actress in that was super babe, no?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samhain
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:43 pm  Reply with quote
Glory Hole


Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 6893
Location: Connecticut

Yep.....lotsa stinkers there, but the following flicks should NOT be on that list!!!!!! Shame on you

Blair Witch
Exorcist III
Friday The 13th 1-6
Halloween III
Mars Attacks
Phantom Menace
Texas Chainsaw 1-3
Fire Walk With Me

.....and there's nothing wrong with the campiness of Grease 2, Popeye, Who's That Girl, Xanadu or Plan 9!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Dread Central Forum Index -> Out of Genre Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum