FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> War Films
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:42 am  Reply with quote

Tom Cruise is a good actor and he's been in some great or at least very good movies.

Minority Report
Collateral
The Last Samurai
Mission Impossible
MI:3
Interview With the Vampire
A Few Good Men
Risky Business
Taps

To name but a few. Most of the hate comes from some ridiculous place of irrationality and not his actual talent.
resevil80
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

I don't think Cruise is a terrible actor, I just don't like all of his movies.

By the way, his Cameo in Tropic Thunder was hilarious.....glad someone else liked MI:3 also....
Emy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

What can I say, Cruise gets on my nerve in almost everything.

I can say that I liked Rain Man, but mostly for Dustin Hoffman.

Eyes Wide Shut was just not for me.

I'm not saying he's a bad actor, I just can't stand him. A few actors have that effect on me and he's probably at the top of the list. Well, right after Guillaume Canet, who's cute but I still can't stand him on screen.
resevil80
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

Eyes Wide Shut....I could care less who's in it....I just couldn't stand the movie itself.

Last edited by resevil80 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

resevil80 wrote:
Eyes Wide Shut....I could care less who's in it....I just could stand the movie itself.

You liked it? I did not, Tom Cruise or not, I'm pretty sure I would not have liked it anyways. He made it less enjoyable yes, but I don't think even one of my fav actors could have made me like it.
resevil80
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry...I type quickly and don't check my posts sometimes..I didn't like it at all.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

Well there's no accounting for taste.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

Out of curiosity why didn't you guys like EWS? Are neither of you jealous people or have never been with a jealous person so you just couldn't relate or what? I think it's an absolutely brilliant movie and both Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman turned in incredible performances. It is Far and Away (ha) Tom's most intense role.

Speaking of Far and Away I thought that one was a movie that just about anyone could get into again Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman together.
Emy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Well there's no accounting for taste.

Like I said before...

Pfft
Emy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Out of curiosity why didn't you guys like EWS? Are neither of you jealous people or have never been with a jealous person so you just couldn't relate or what? I think it's an absolutely brilliant movie and both Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman turned in incredible performances. It is Far and Away (ha) Tom's most intense role.

Speaking of Far and Away I thought that one was a movie that just about anyone could get into again Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman together.

I just did not like it.

I am not a jealous person, but believe me I have been in a relationship with a very very very jealous guy in my past and I know how it is to be on the receive end of the doubts and crazyness.

As for Eyes Wide Shut, i did not like it when I saw it. Hard to explain, it's kinda like I don't like mushrooms in my food. Hard to explain, it just is.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

Well I love mushrooms so that explains it. Very Happy
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

Everyone is jealous at some point. it's how you act on that jealousy. I'm not a very jealous person in terms of relationships because I don't feel that I own the other person. If she wants to go elsewhere, than that's something else and no amount of jealousy is going to change that. The blame usually falls mutually.

I didn't like Eyes Wide Shut because it bored the shit out of me. And I too, love mushrooms.
Emy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:

I didn't like Eyes Wide Shut because it bored the shit out of me. And I too, love mushrooms.

See we agree on one of those things. I was bored by Eyes Wide Shut. Movies should not make you bored. They should not result in me, making my to-do list and grocery list in my head while watching them.

As for mushrooms, well, you're on your own.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

I will get back to War Films eventually but to me EWS is incredibly intense. I mean as I mentioned in the EWS thread the scene where they get home late and settle down and start smoking a joint and everything is just fine and they're laughing and it appears that they're gonna get it on any second then the conversation turns really serious as Nicole tells her story of an English Officer she found her self attracted to at a time, when she says, he'd never been dearer of kinder to her and he's looking at her in a sort of incredulous marijuana induced fixed stare, man that scene sends chills down my spine every time because it's so real. I feel like I'm there with them. I have watched the movie stoned a couple of times and it only intesifies those feelings. Anyway, I don't see boring unless you're just an action junky.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Anyway, I don't see boring unless you're just an action junky.

Sweeping generalizations are usually wrong. This one is no different.

My favourite film of all-time is The Player. 99% of the movie is people talking. The only "action" in the movie is the murder and a scene involving a rattlesnake. Neither of which last more than 2 minutes each in a movie that's 2 hours long. My second favourite film is Jackie Brown, which is 98% people talking.

I couldn't care less if the movie is action packed. Eyes Wide Shut was boring and I didn't give 2 shits about the characters.