FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> War Films
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

There is nothing light about being in a war. It's hellish. I don't appreciate comedies about war.
Emy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
There is nothing light about being in a war. It's hellish. I don't appreciate comedies about war.

I know there is nothing light about war, trust me.

But the comedy in Tropic Thunder does not have to do with the war itself, but with the shooting of a war movie.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:23 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:

Msiter Roberts is a fantastic movie (which I wish to add to my list-I have no idea how I can keep forgetting these movies).
The Buz
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:15 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Floydian Trip wrote:

The world is a dark place, dude. Sometimes the only way to handle a serious world is to not take it so seriously. You'll be a happier person for it.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:33 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not all dark and depressing man I do like comedies. Just picked up one of my favorites on Blu-ray, Waynes World. Very Happy Dr. Strangelove is brilliant but it's definitely a black comedy ,I dont consider it a war movie at the same time.

I get all wrapped up in horror movies it's true and I like them dark and over time it does get to me and I'll stop watching them for a couple years. I go through phases like that.

War movies though I never get enough of. Yeah, they're even darker than horror films because they're real but they don't bother me so much because it's history. Documentaries on the History Channel are even darker and more depressing than most war films but it's important to know about these things.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

Picked up Gladiator on Blu-ray, wow looks great and is great. "On my signal, unleash Hell"

It's in this Sapphire Series along with Braveheart and coincidentally they each won 5 Academy Awards, including Best Picture 5 years apart.

Combat was so brutal back then I'd rather get shot or blown up by a mortar or landmine or even getting squished by a tank seems relatively quick and painless compared to getting hacked to pieces.
resevil80
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

The Last Samurai is another one that is great on Blu-Ray....and a damn war movie....
Emy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

resevil80 wrote:
The Last Samurai is another one that is great on Blu-Ray....and a damn war movie....

Track down 'When the Last Sword is Drawn". Great movie, loved it when i saw it years ago, then got the DVD last Christmas (or was it the one before???). I need to watch this again.

I have not seen THe Last Samurai, but from what I hear from people who have seen both, WTLSiD is supposed to be even better.
resevil80
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

Emy wrote:
resevil80 wrote:

Track down 'When the Last Sword is Drawn". Great movie, loved it when i saw it years ago, then got the DVD last Christmas (or was it the one before???). I need to watch this again.

I have not seen THe Last Samurai, but from what I hear from people who have seen both, WTLSiD is supposed to be even better.

Will do. The one thing about The last Samurai is how beautiful it is...I mean seriously it is one great piece of cinematography....all the way through.
Emy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

resevil80 wrote:
Emy wrote:
resevil80 wrote:

Will do. The one thing about The last Samurai is how beautiful it is...I mean seriously it is one great piece of cinematography....all the way through.

I've been avoiding it as I read they messed up a lot of historical fact and some of the costuming.
Also, I can't stand Tom Cruise.
resevil80
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

I usually hate Cruise, but he was actually pretty good. I am not up on my Samurai History, so if it is, I wouldn't have known....You should give it a try..
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

You mean you don't like Top Gun? What?
resevil80
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

I will name the Tom Cruise Movies I like...

Days of Thunder, MI:3, Vanilla Sky.......The Last Samurai.......Minority Report...Don't care much for anything else he is in...Top Gun is ok....but I don't really care one way or the other about it.
Emy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
You mean you don't like Top Gun? What?

I kinda liked Top Gun years ago, but have not watched it in so long, I can't tell if I'd still like it.

MI2 was entertaining.

That's it.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:56 pm  Reply with quote

You guys are missing his best performance....Eyes Wide Shut. and what about Rain Man?

A Few Good Men, Far and Away, Cocktail, Risky Business......it goes on and on.....War of the Worlds......Tom is the shit.