On Final Chapters And New Beginnings

February 22, 2017, was my first official day at Dread Central. I started with a piece about my love of the French horror thriller The Crimson Rivers. My return to horror writing came after a near-two month absence after my departure from Bloody Disgusting. For two-and-a-half years, I’ve been representing Dread Central first as its Managing Editor and then, as of August 2018, as its Editor-in-Chief. I have overseen articles, columns, contributions, editorials, and much more during this time and I often find myself bursting with pride at the phenomenal writing that has, and will continue to, grace Dread Central.

I celebrate the works of Anya Stanley, Matt Donato, Brennan Klein, Zena Dixon, Michelle Swope, Anthony Arrigo, Jerry Smith, BJ Colangelo, Aaron Vehling, Adam Dodd, Becky Sayers, David Gelmini, Marcos Codas, Rachel Beck, Rafael Motamayor, Ryan Larson, Sean Decker, Tony Timpone, and so many more during my tenure at Dread Central.

Some of you may also know that part of my coming aboard Dread Central included becoming a part of the DREAD team. My role was to identify independent genre films that I thought would fit our label, connect with filmmakers/producers/sales agents/whatever, and find a way to bring our teams together. While I’ve been a part of every title that DREAD has released (some more than others), I’m very proud of my involvement specifically with Book of Monsters, Black Site, Red Letter Day, Harpoon, and The Golem. Over the past two and a half years, working with the Epic Pictures Group team, Patrick Ewald, Rob Galluzzo, Shaked Berenson, Steve Barton, and every DREAD filmmaker has been an incredible experience, one that I will never forget and one that has helped me grow professionally.

I have to express my utmost gratitude and appreciation to Dread Central co-owner and president, Jon Condit. Not enough of you know just how much he puts into this site on a daily basis, and the lengths he goes to make sure we’re always thinking “what’s next?” Determined, passionate, dedicated, and inventive, Jon Condit has always been the heart and soul of Dread Central. None of what I’ve done could have been possible without him. He is my friend, he is my brother, and I love him dearly.

Many of you might be wondering what’s next for Dread Central. The role of Editor-in-Chief is going to not one but two people: the first is Josh Millican, whose name you’ve seen for a while now. Josh is someone who has proven his mettle. Having shown enthusiasm and resolve since day one, he’s earned his place. The second is Alyse Wax, the author of Curious Goods: BTS of Friday the 13th TV and a writer whose name you’ve seen on Syfy Wire and ComingSoon.net. Having met her in person on a few occasions, I know that she will help grow and evolve Dread Central in exciting ways.

It’s been my mission to try and use this platform to break down barriers that, for one reason or another, have been erected within the horror community. I think it’s fitting that my final official post as Editor-in-Chief of Dread Central was gathering over 40 different voices to share their thoughts on the horror film that impacted them the most. I can’t think of a better way for me to make my exit.

As for me, I can’t say exactly what I’m moving onto just yet but know that I will continue working in the horror world. If you wish to follow me on my forthcoming journeys, you can find me on Twitter at @jonathanbarkan.

To every reader who has come to Dread Central and read our work, the regulars who continuously supported us, every filmmaker who we’ve covered and who sent us their work, the PR folk who supplied us with content day in and day out, to the horror community at large, thank you.

These have been the most amazing two-and-a-half years of my life and I will always look back on them with happiness and pride.

Long live horror. Long live Dread Central.

Yours,

Jonathan Barkan

Share: 

Categorized: