FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Firefly/Serenity
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Best TV show ever made.

Just started watching again after all this talk about Firefly lately. So far I've been through Serenity and The Train Job.

My absolute 2 favorite episodes that I can't wait to get to are Out of Gas and War Stories.

These are some beautiful women on this show.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Best TV show ever made.

Incorrect.

Quote:
Just started watching again after all this talk about Firefly lately. So far I've been through Serenity and The Train Job.

My absolute 2 favorite episodes that I can't wait to get to are Out of Gas and War Stories.

These are some beautiful women on this show.

I really liked Trash.

Firefly is a really GOOD show, but Buffy and Angel are far better over-all. Mostly because those shows got to grow into what they were. Firefly never got that chance. Serenity works really well as a series finale though. I would have really liked to see what Whedon would have done with it.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:16 am  Reply with quote

I have no interest in Buffy, Angel or True Blood. Tried them all and did not like them.

I hate TV. I never watch it except for NFL football. It takes alot and I mean alot to get me to keep watching a TV show.

Star Trek: Tos, Next Generation, X-Files, Battlestar and Firefly are the only shows I wanna own so I can keep watching them over again.

Homocide: Life on the Streets was good while it lasted too oh and News Radio.

The rest well you can have them.

On Bushwhacked right now.

Love when the Alliance officer is interviewing the crew and he gets to Zoe and Wash. Laughing
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:23 am  Reply with quote

How many episodes of Buffy did you watch? In order?

But to be fair, as someone who hates TV, you really can't say what the best show is when you admittedly don't watch a lot of TV. Just saying.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

This is true but still I know greatness when I see it and if it takes more than 1 episode to get hooked then it's not as good as Firefly. Cool

I watched several episodes of Buffy. Not really in order. It just never caught my interest.

The show I have seen a couple of episodes of that does seem pretty good though is Lost. So maybe someday I'll watch that.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
This is true but still I know greatness when I see it and if it takes more than 1 episode to get hooked then it's not as good as Firefly. Cool

I watched several episodes of Buffy. Not really in order. It just never caught my interest.

You obviously don't know greatness when you see it. And further more, watching Buffy out of order is not a way to understand how good the show is. It's like reading random chapters in a linear novel and saying you didn't like the book.

You say you like strong female characters. Buffy and Angel are full of some of the strongest and well drawn female characters in TV history. Ie: There would be no Firefly without them.

Quote:
The show I have seen a couple of episodes of that does seem pretty good though is Lost. So maybe someday I'll watch that.

Lost is a great show.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:05 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not gonna slog through episode after episode of a show until it grows on me. Buffy never once seemed interesting to me. It's at the opposite end of the spectrum from Firefly.

Firefly is greatness in every character, line of dialogue and scene.

I do watch new shows that come out to see if they might possibly be something I can get sucked into but most of the time I find them boring and tedious like The Fringe.

Everyone was going on and on about True Blood so I watched that a couple of times and it just came across to me like a modern version of General Hospital. I was expecting something more in the vein of Near Dark.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:34 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
I'm not gonna slog through episode after episode of a show until it grows on me. Buffy never once seemed interesting to me. It's at the opposite end of the spectrum from Firefly.

So is Buffy. This is not just my opinion, but MOST people's opinion. Critics have included it in nearly every applicable "Best Of" list. The show is praised for his characters, his dialogue, writing and Whedon's direction.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:40 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

So is Buffy. This is not just my opinion, but MOST people's opinion. Critics have included it in nearly every applicable "Best Of" list. The show is praised for his characters, his dialogue, writing and Whedon's direction.

I don't care if I'm the only person on the face of the Earth that doesn't like Buffy. I'm sure it is written and directed well. It's nothing that I'm even remotely interested in, I'm not gonna pretend to like something just so I can be in with the cool kids.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:57 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

I don't care if I'm the only person on the face of the Earth that doesn't like Buffy. I'm sure it is written and directed well. It's nothing that I'm even remotely interested in, I'm not gonna pretend to like something just so I can be in with the cool kids.

You'll never be in with the cool kids so don't worry about it. (Sorry, but it's incredibly stupid for you to say something like that as if it's a matter of being cool). It's about you saying that Firefly is the best show ever, and it's not true. I'm well-versed in Joss Whedon's work and Firefly, while good, ranks just below Angel, and way above Dollhouse. You're talking about how you recognize greatness (you can emoticon away but you really do think that) and yet you haven't even watched his best work (Buffy AND Angel). And I seem to remember you saying that I'm not open-minded...You were irony like a well-worn sweater.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:25 pm  Reply with quote

Laughing You could have easily stayed the fuck out of my thread but no. I'm quite sure alot of people would agree with me that Firefly is the best show ever made. But that doesn't matter. It's not a contest. I love science fiction and westerns. Put 'em together and it's brilliance.

Buffy doesn't offer anything new and didn't take the chance that Firefly did. I don't give a shit about Buffy and guess what I never will.

To say that Firefly is merely good is asinine to me but whatever that's what having individual opinions is all about.

Well except where you're from where apparently everyone thinks alike. Which is incredibly boring.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:45 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Laughing You could have easily stayed the fuck out of my thread but no. I'm quite sure alot of people would agree with me that Firefly is the best show ever made. But that doesn't matter. It's not a contest. I love science fiction and westerns. Put 'em together and it's brilliance.

I could have stayed out of your thread. I didn't because you were talking about something I wanted to talk about. Is that how it works with you? Either I agree with you or I stay away? Aren't you supposed to be an adult?

Quote:
Buffy doesn't offer anything new and didn't take the chance that Firefly did.

Proof positing that you have never watched it and have NO CLUE what you're talking about.

Quote:
To say that Firefly is merely good is asinine to me but whatever that's what having individual opinions is all about.

Saying Buffy doesn't offer anything new and didn't the chances Firefly did is what is asinine. And ignorant, too.

Quote:
Well except where you're from where apparently everyone thinks alike. Which is incredibly boring.

Hey you know what? If you actually watched the shows and still didn't like them, that would be something else entirely. But you want everyone to accept your limited information-based opinion and keep their mouth shut.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:00 am  Reply with quote

Not even close. But nice try.

Now I know this sounds crazy but what I like are civil discussions about things. Look at your condescending attitude you gave me because I don't like Buffy. Who's the child?

I don't care if people agree with me or not. It doesn't bother me. I watch Firefly and Serenity over again about every 2 months or sooner if I get the itch. I love it. And I have never seen a better show ever and that's with me absolutely falling in love with Battlestar Galactica.

Now if Jesus Christ himself came down and annointed Buffy the best show ever, well then I'd probably have to take his word for it. If a bunch of people on the internet say Buffy is the best then I couldn't really care less. Firefly is it for me sorry you have such a problem with that.

I have an idea though that will settle it. You live on the West Coast right? I live in Chicago so you gather up as many people as you can that think Buffy is the best and I'll do the same here with Firefly then we'll meet in the middle and have an allout brawl and whichever show the last man standing represents well then that'll be the greatest show ever made. Laughing

I love discussing things with people who have different opinions but not if they're trolls.
'
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:37 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Firefly: Best TV show ever made.

Holy shit that's funny!

I guess you never saw The Honeymooners.

Or I Love Lucy.
Or Dragnet.
Or The Dick Van Dyke Show.
Or The Avengers.
Or The Andy Griffith Show.
Or The Twilight Zone.
Or Star Trek.
Or Gunsmoke.
Or The Munsters.
Or All In The Family.
Or The Bob Newhart Show.
Or The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
Or The Carol Burnett Show.
Or M*A*S*H.
Or Happy Days.
Or The Odd Couple.
Or The Muppet Show.
Or Taxi.
Or WKRP In Cincinnati.
Or Cheers.
Or Hill Street Blues.
Or Miami Vice.
Or St. Elsewhere.
Or Twin Peaks.
Or Roseanne.
Or Seinfeld.
Or Homicide.
Or NYPD Blue.
Or E.R.
Or House.
Or The Simpsons.

Or about a hundred other shows that I could name off the top of my head.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:42 am  Reply with quote

You're bringing up alot of shows I watched as a kid and have no desire to watch now that I'm an adult. Not saying you're not mentioning some classics but come on I'll take Mal, Zoe, Inara, Wash, Book, Jane, Simon and the most uber badass chick ever in a TV show River any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Besides none of those shows are Westerns.