FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds - In Theaters Augus
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:39 am  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
LSD Zombie wrote:
The Buz wrote:
Also thought Brad Pitt was overacting, Eli Roth was awesome until he opened his mouth.

What?! I must respectfully disagree with you on Pitt's performance. I believe he downplayed the southern impersonation. Consider the peformance he gave in Kalifornia and compare it to the Inglourious Basterds portrayal. I'd consider the former performance to be exaggerated. Although there's probably many southerners that aren't far off from his Kalifornia personification.

I'll agree with you on Roth though, most of his scenes were cringe-worthy. The wrist gun was fucking bad-ass though.

He overacts in Kalifornia too. Don't me wrong, I love Pitt. Seven and Fight Club prove he is an amazing actor. He was just a little too over the top in this for me. But hey, I know upon repeat viewing I will probably enjoy it more and more.

And I know Roth was playing a crazy psychopath. That's why he should have kept his mouth shut, or at least talked less because he was much more insane before he started going off about his baseball thing. Then it became kind of laughable.

Note that I am not a Roth hater.

I'm kind of surprised at your complaints about the movie. Everything you're saying you didn't like was completely deliberate. The fantasy aspect. Pitts overacting and even Roth's performance. Watch most movies from the 30's and Roth is a dead on recreation of those same kind of roles. I'm sorry Buz, you know I love you, but it seems like one of two thing happened. 1) You weren't in the right mood for this kind of movie, or 2) you didn't get it. Wink

I'm going with the former.
X-Count
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:16 am  Reply with quote

Alright, here's something I've been wondering. Sorry it's off topic people but in Kalifornia, where the fuck did Brad Pitt get that torpedo from? I just watched it again and that's a major plot hole.
meatpuppet
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:22 am  Reply with quote

I saw it on Sunday.I loved it and I'll probably go and see it again.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

This movie was awesome. I echo most of all the praise already mentioned.

Has anyone seen early drafts of this script? I'd be interested in seeing how this film evolved from supposedly being about the Basterds into a film where actually

SPOILERS

the Basterd are more secondary to the movie about Shoshanna and her revenge.
BadAsh
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

EvilRex wrote:

Has anyone seen early drafts of this script? I'd be interested in seeing how this film evolved from supposedly being about the Basterds into a film where actually

SPOILERS

well, there is apparently over 1/2 hour of deleted footage...so maybe there is more explanation there.

Also, I LOVE The fact that the Basterds and Shoshanna both (coincidentally) planed on blowing up the theatre...I think that comment on destiny/fate also had a major role in the film.
Nobodaddy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

Location: Munyeca. Yo te ciaro. Yo te ciaro Ohio. Muy bonito.

EvilRex wrote:

SPOILERS

The Basterds were just as sidelined in the screenplay. In fact, I think they were even a smaller piece in the draft I read. This decision occurred while QT was out promoting Death Proof. Having worked on the same script for years, he decided he needed a fresh approach. He junked everything and started from scratch. He then banged out a new first draft with new characters and storyline.

The differences between the film and the script are mostly deleted material, presumably the half hour that was chopped after Cannes. This included the origins of Donnie's bat, how Shoshanna ended up at the cinema (to be filmed in black and white) along with a few more bits and pieces here and there. The one change I didn't really care for was Shoshanna's death. In the script she pulls herself up and struggles to stay alive until the final reel change. It was well written and might have worked better than what made the film. Also Hitler doesn't get gunned down by the Basterds. He gets blown up, with Goebbels launching out of the box and crashing through the ceiling and wall.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, I just recall years ago, Tarrantino discussing the movie to be more like Dirty Dozen with even Michael Madsen in it as a character named after Bronson's given birth name (escapes me now) and even rumors of Eddie murphy and Stallone getting casted.
Tshoffie
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

i liked the movie alot but i was dissappointed that there wasnt as much time spent with the basterds killing nazis... the trailer kinda misleads one into thinking it would have more action then it did ...i mean in the whole running time of 2 hours and 50 mins maybe 20 mins of it was spent killinh nazis and that includes the ending...other then that i liked the movie alot
Tshoffie
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

Nobodaddy wrote:
EvilRex wrote:

SPOILERS

The Basterds were just as sidelined in the screenplay. In fact, I think they were even a smaller piece in the draft I read. This decision occurred while QT was out promoting Death Proof. Having worked on the same script for years, he decided he needed a fresh approach. He junked everything and started from scratch. He then banged out a new first draft with new characters and storyline.

The differences between the film and the script are mostly deleted material, presumably the half hour that was chopped after Cannes. This included the origins of Donnie's bat, how Shoshanna ended up at the cinema (to be filmed in black and white) along with a few more bits and pieces here and there. The one change I didn't really care for was Shoshanna's death. In the script she pulls herself up and struggles to stay alive until the final reel change. It was well written and might have worked better than what made the film. Also Hitler doesn't get gunned down by the Basterds. He gets blown up, with Goebbels launching out of the box and crashing through the ceiling and wall.

does this mean that we might see a 3 hour plus directors cut come to dvd?
BadAsh
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

saw it again last night.

soooooo awesome.

I noticed the Winston Wolf guest appearance this time. Cool
EvilRex
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

Tshoffie wrote:
i liked the movie alot but i was dissappointed that there wasnt as much time spent with the basterds killing nazis... the trailer kinda misleads one into thinking it would have more action then it did ...i mean in the whole running time of 2 hours and 50 mins maybe 20 mins of it was spent killinh nazis and that includes the ending...other then that i liked the movie alot

And viola! The power of marketting.

You may have not gone to see a WWII set spahgetti western that was dialogue heavy, with multiple plot threads and a cast of virtual unknowns to the majority of American audiences.

But would you would go to see Brad Pitt kill nazis.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

Tarantino said something interesting in an interview. He sees every character in the movie as Inglorious "Basterds". Which makes sense when you look at why the movie is titled that.

But yes, faulting movies because it's marketing is your problem, not the film's.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:41 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I was bummed that Sam Levine wasn't given any lines. He played one of my favorite characters on the short lived FREAK AND GEEKS, "Sam".

I liked the film too, a lot actually. But there should have been some exposition on the Bastereds themselves. Even little thumbnails about how they all ended up Basterds would have been enough.

Now...I am going to watch Jackie Brown. Bye!
Tshoffie
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone think maybe there will be a longer cut of the film on Dvd
Kaisersoze
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
SPOILERS
And where did all the other basterds go? They just sort of disappeared. Like Sam Lavines character. That was a huge plot hole. Did I miss something? Do they even give them a throw away line?

This also bothered me a little, but DSIC's explanation makes sense. Even if a throwaway line confirming their deaths would have been appreciated.

Still, very entertaining film. I was riveted from start to finish.