FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds - In Theaters Augus
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:09 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

erikdufresne2 wrote:
I pass on Tarantino.


You pass on Tarantino but are looking forward to Halloween II? Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadAsh
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:49 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 476
Location: Canada, EH

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Er...Jackie Brown > Pulp Fiction.


false statement is false.
_________________
?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:04 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

BadAsh wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Er...Jackie Brown > Pulp Fiction.


false statement is false.


Nope. It's true. Also true is that Manson sucks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
erikdufresne2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:22 pm  Reply with quote
Suspended Semi-literate Douchebag


Joined: 29 Jan 2009
Posts: 130

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
erikdufresne2 wrote:
I pass on Tarantino.


You pass on Tarantino but are looking forward to Halloween II? Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha


Yep. I have bad taste, but at least I will admit it. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:52 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 3590
Location: Cow Palace.

erikdufresne2 wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
erikdufresne2 wrote:
I pass on Tarantino.


You pass on Tarantino but are looking forward to Halloween II? Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha


Yep. I have bad taste, but at least I will admit it. Razz


Your logic doesn't make sense. If a serial killer admitted in court he was a serial killer, would that get the case dismissed?

I don't really care either way of what you like or don't like, but I'm just saying that aint know way to logically define your position in an argument.


As for Basterds, it was okay.

I'm a stickler for some what historical accuracy so this kind of turned me off towards the end.

Also thought Brad Pitt was overacting, Eli Roth was awesome until he opened his mouth,

SPOILERS

They killed off the most interesting character just sort of off offhandedly; Hugo Stiglitz. And where did all the other basterds go? They just sort of disappeared. Like Sam Lavines character. That was a huge plot hole. Did I miss something? Do they even give them a throw away line?



It wasn't bad mind you, the cinematography was down right phenomenal, and the performances from Drefus, the Jewish gal, and Hans Lander were fantastic. I'd give it a solid 3 and half out of 5.
_________________
Insert that one line from that one movie from that one actor here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:59 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

The Buz wrote:

As for Basterds, it was okay.

I'm a stickler for some what historical accuracy so this kind of turned me off towards the end.


That was the point though. Nothing about this film was supposed to be historically accurate. It was pure fantasy, through and through.

SPOILERS

Quote:
They killed off the most interesting character just sort of off offhandedly; Hugo Stiglitz. And where did all the other basterds go? They just sort of disappeared. Like Sam Lavines character. That was a huge plot hole. Did I miss something? Do they even give them a throw away line?


It's not a plot hole. They captured one of the other Basterds. I immediately took it as the others were killed. Now I wish I would have seen it happen from a purely selfish standpoint, but it made sense to me.

But I do agree about Stiglitz though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:09 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 3590
Location: Cow Palace.

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
The Buz wrote:

As for Basterds, it was okay.

I'm a stickler for some what historical accuracy so this kind of turned me off towards the end.


That was the point though. Nothing about this film was supposed to be historically accurate. It was pure fantasy, through and through.

SPOILERS

Quote:
They killed off the most interesting character just sort of off offhandedly; Hugo Stiglitz. And where did all the other basterds go? They just sort of disappeared. Like Sam Lavines character. That was a huge plot hole. Did I miss something? Do they even give them a throw away line?


It's not a plot hole. They captured one of the other Basterds. I immediately took it as the others were killed. Now I wish I would have seen it happen from a purely selfish standpoint, but it made sense to me.

But I do agree about Stiglitz though.


In the trailers there was a shot of Lavine running down a hall with a machine gun. That wasn't in the movie though.

And I know it is fantasy. Thought I could keep that from bothering me, but alas in the end it made me like the film a bit less.
_________________
Insert that one line from that one movie from that one actor here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:21 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

The Buz wrote:

In the trailers there was a shot of Lavine running down a hall with a machine gun. That wasn't in the movie though.


As you know all too well, that happens all the time. Shit, True Romance has shots in the trailer that aren't even in the director's cut.

SPOILER
Quote:
And I know it is fantasy. Thought I could keep that from bothering me, but alas in the end it made me like the film a bit less.


It bugged me for a second, then I said, fuck it. The look on Roth's face when he was shooting the Nazis and especially HITLER just really drove the point home that it was pure fantasy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
erikdufresne2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:33 pm  Reply with quote
Suspended Semi-literate Douchebag


Joined: 29 Jan 2009
Posts: 130

The Buz wrote:
erikdufresne2 wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
erikdufresne2 wrote:
I pass on Tarantino.


You pass on Tarantino but are looking forward to Halloween II? Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha


Yep. I have bad taste, but at least I will admit it. Razz


Your logic doesn't make sense. If a serial killer admitted in court he was a serial killer, would that get the case dismissed?

I don't really care either way of what you like or don't like, but I'm just saying that aint know way to logically define your position in an argument.


Your comparison doesn't make sense. This isn't an argument. The other guy inferred that I had bad taste and I agreed. Zombie's movies aren't as good as Tarantino's, but I prefer Zombie for my own entertainment value. There is no debate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:46 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

erikdufresne2 wrote:

Your comparison doesn't make sense. This isn't an argument. The other guy inferred that I had bad taste and I agreed. Zombie's movies aren't as good as Tarantino's, but I prefer Zombie for my own entertainment value. There is no debate.


Which is you admitting that you get more enjoyment from bad directing and writing. Cool.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
erikdufresne2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:50 pm  Reply with quote
Suspended Semi-literate Douchebag


Joined: 29 Jan 2009
Posts: 130

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
erikdufresne2 wrote:

Your comparison doesn't make sense. This isn't an argument. The other guy inferred that I had bad taste and I agreed. Zombie's movies aren't as good as Tarantino's, but I prefer Zombie for my own entertainment value. There is no debate.


Which is you admitting that you get more enjoyment from bad directing and writing. Cool.


Exactly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:09 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 1096

The Buz wrote:
Also thought Brad Pitt was overacting, Eli Roth was awesome until he opened his mouth.

What?! I must respectfully disagree with you on Pitt's performance. I believe he downplayed the southern impersonation. Consider the peformance he gave in Kalifornia and compare it to the Inglourious Basterds portrayal. I'd consider the former performance to be exaggerated. Although there's probably many southerners that aren't far off from his Kalifornia personification.

I'll agree with you on Roth though, most of his scenes were cringe-worthy. The wrist gun was fucking bad-ass though.


Last edited by LSD Zombie on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
X-Count
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:13 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1301
Location: Eating Lo Mein!!!

LSD Zombie wrote:
The Buz wrote:
Also thought Brad Pitt was overacting, Eli Roth was awesome until he opened his mouth.

What?! I must respectfully disagree with you on Pitt's performance. I believe he downplayed the southern impersonation. Consider the peformance he gave in Kalifornia and compare it to the Inglourious Basterds portrayal. I'd consider the former performance to be exaggerated. Although there's probably many southerners that aren't far off from his Kalifornia performance.

I'll agree with you on Roth though, most of his scenes were cringe-worthy. The wrist gun was fucking bad-ass though.


I just watched Kalifornia the other day with Seven and I too noticed the similarity between the accent he used in Kalifornia and Inglourious Basterds. It's about exactly the same only this time he didn't go over-the-top. I also didn't have a problem with Eli. He practically played it for what it was. A psychopath with a bat killing Nazis.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/abloodyshadow
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=506478793
http://juon408.dvdaf.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:55 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 3590
Location: Cow Palace.

LSD Zombie wrote:
The Buz wrote:
Also thought Brad Pitt was overacting, Eli Roth was awesome until he opened his mouth.

What?! I must respectfully disagree with you on Pitt's performance. I believe he downplayed the southern impersonation. Consider the peformance he gave in Kalifornia and compare it to the Inglourious Basterds portrayal. I'd consider the former performance to be exaggerated. Although there's probably many southerners that aren't far off from his Kalifornia personification.

I'll agree with you on Roth though, most of his scenes were cringe-worthy. The wrist gun was fucking bad-ass though.


He overacts in Kalifornia too. Don't me wrong, I love Pitt. Seven and Fight Club prove he is an amazing actor. He was just a little too over the top in this for me. But hey, I know upon repeat viewing I will probably enjoy it more and more.

And I know Roth was playing a crazy psychopath. That's why he should have kept his mouth shut, or at least talked less because he was much more insane before he started going off about his baseball thing. Then it became kind of laughable.

Note that I am not a Roth hater.
_________________
Insert that one line from that one movie from that one actor here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadAsh
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:13 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 476
Location: Canada, EH

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
BadAsh wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Er...Jackie Brown > Pulp Fiction.


false statement is false.


Nope. It's true. Also true is that Manson sucks.


ya, well, my dad can beat up your dad Rolling Eyes
_________________
?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Dread Central Forum Index -> Out of Genre Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum