FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds - In Theaters Augus
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

erikdufresne2 wrote:
I pass on Tarantino.

You pass on Tarantino but are looking forward to Halloween II? Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha
BadAsh
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Er...Jackie Brown > Pulp Fiction.

false statement is false.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

BadAsh wrote:

Nope. It's true. Also true is that Manson sucks.
erikdufresne2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:22 pm  Reply with quote
Suspended Semi-literate Douchebag

erikdufresne2 wrote:
I pass on Tarantino.

You pass on Tarantino but are looking forward to Halloween II? Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

Yep. I have bad taste, but at least I will admit it. Razz
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:52 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

erikdufresne2 wrote:
erikdufresne2 wrote:
I pass on Tarantino.

Your logic doesn't make sense. If a serial killer admitted in court he was a serial killer, would that get the case dismissed?

I don't really care either way of what you like or don't like, but I'm just saying that aint know way to logically define your position in an argument.

As for Basterds, it was okay.

I'm a stickler for some what historical accuracy so this kind of turned me off towards the end.

Also thought Brad Pitt was overacting, Eli Roth was awesome until he opened his mouth,

SPOILERS

They killed off the most interesting character just sort of off offhandedly; Hugo Stiglitz. And where did all the other basterds go? They just sort of disappeared. Like Sam Lavines character. That was a huge plot hole. Did I miss something? Do they even give them a throw away line?

It wasn't bad mind you, the cinematography was down right phenomenal, and the performances from Drefus, the Jewish gal, and Hans Lander were fantastic. I'd give it a solid 3 and half out of 5.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:

I'm a stickler for some what historical accuracy so this kind of turned me off towards the end.

That was the point though. Nothing about this film was supposed to be historically accurate. It was pure fantasy, through and through.

SPOILERS

Quote:
They killed off the most interesting character just sort of off offhandedly; Hugo Stiglitz. And where did all the other basterds go? They just sort of disappeared. Like Sam Lavines character. That was a huge plot hole. Did I miss something? Do they even give them a throw away line?

It's not a plot hole. They captured one of the other Basterds. I immediately took it as the others were killed. Now I wish I would have seen it happen from a purely selfish standpoint, but it made sense to me.

But I do agree about Stiglitz though.
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:09 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The Buz wrote:

That was the point though. Nothing about this film was supposed to be historically accurate. It was pure fantasy, through and through.

SPOILERS

Quote:

It's not a plot hole. They captured one of the other Basterds. I immediately took it as the others were killed. Now I wish I would have seen it happen from a purely selfish standpoint, but it made sense to me.

But I do agree about Stiglitz though.

In the trailers there was a shot of Lavine running down a hall with a machine gun. That wasn't in the movie though.

And I know it is fantasy. Thought I could keep that from bothering me, but alas in the end it made me like the film a bit less.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:

In the trailers there was a shot of Lavine running down a hall with a machine gun. That wasn't in the movie though.

As you know all too well, that happens all the time. Shit, True Romance has shots in the trailer that aren't even in the director's cut.

SPOILER
Quote:
And I know it is fantasy. Thought I could keep that from bothering me, but alas in the end it made me like the film a bit less.

It bugged me for a second, then I said, fuck it. The look on Roth's face when he was shooting the Nazis and especially HITLER just really drove the point home that it was pure fantasy.
erikdufresne2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
erikdufresne2 wrote:
erikdufresne2 wrote:
I pass on Tarantino.

Your logic doesn't make sense. If a serial killer admitted in court he was a serial killer, would that get the case dismissed?

I don't really care either way of what you like or don't like, but I'm just saying that aint know way to logically define your position in an argument.

Your comparison doesn't make sense. This isn't an argument. The other guy inferred that I had bad taste and I agreed. Zombie's movies aren't as good as Tarantino's, but I prefer Zombie for my own entertainment value. There is no debate.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

erikdufresne2 wrote:

Your comparison doesn't make sense. This isn't an argument. The other guy inferred that I had bad taste and I agreed. Zombie's movies aren't as good as Tarantino's, but I prefer Zombie for my own entertainment value. There is no debate.

Which is you admitting that you get more enjoyment from bad directing and writing. Cool.
erikdufresne2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

erikdufresne2 wrote:

Which is you admitting that you get more enjoyment from bad directing and writing. Cool.

Exactly.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
Also thought Brad Pitt was overacting, Eli Roth was awesome until he opened his mouth.

What?! I must respectfully disagree with you on Pitt's performance. I believe he downplayed the southern impersonation. Consider the peformance he gave in Kalifornia and compare it to the Inglourious Basterds portrayal. I'd consider the former performance to be exaggerated. Although there's probably many southerners that aren't far off from his Kalifornia personification.

I'll agree with you on Roth though, most of his scenes were cringe-worthy. The wrist gun was fucking bad-ass though.

Last edited by LSD Zombie on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
X-Count
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:13 pm  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
The Buz wrote:
Also thought Brad Pitt was overacting, Eli Roth was awesome until he opened his mouth.

What?! I must respectfully disagree with you on Pitt's performance. I believe he downplayed the southern impersonation. Consider the peformance he gave in Kalifornia and compare it to the Inglourious Basterds portrayal. I'd consider the former performance to be exaggerated. Although there's probably many southerners that aren't far off from his Kalifornia performance.

I'll agree with you on Roth though, most of his scenes were cringe-worthy. The wrist gun was fucking bad-ass though.

I just watched Kalifornia the other day with Seven and I too noticed the similarity between the accent he used in Kalifornia and Inglourious Basterds. It's about exactly the same only this time he didn't go over-the-top. I also didn't have a problem with Eli. He practically played it for what it was. A psychopath with a bat killing Nazis.
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:55 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

LSD Zombie wrote:
The Buz wrote:

What?! I must respectfully disagree with you on Pitt's performance. I believe he downplayed the southern impersonation. Consider the peformance he gave in Kalifornia and compare it to the Inglourious Basterds portrayal. I'd consider the former performance to be exaggerated. Although there's probably many southerners that aren't far off from his Kalifornia personification.

He overacts in Kalifornia too. Don't me wrong, I love Pitt. Seven and Fight Club prove he is an amazing actor. He was just a little too over the top in this for me. But hey, I know upon repeat viewing I will probably enjoy it more and more.

And I know Roth was playing a crazy psychopath. That's why he should have kept his mouth shut, or at least talked less because he was much more insane before he started going off about his baseball thing. Then it became kind of laughable.

Note that I am not a Roth hater.
BadAsh
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:13 am  Reply with quote

BadAsh wrote:

Nope. It's true. Also true is that Manson sucks.

ya, well, my dad can beat up your dad Rolling Eyes