FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> A Scanner Darkly (2006)
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

It got a very limited release (nowhere near me). I realize it's not the most mainstream movie out right now either.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/counts/chart/?yr=2006&wk=27&p=.htm
says only 17 screens!

Did anyone see it?
Plan on seeing it?
Just waiting on DVD?
Passing altogether?
or, WTF is it?
Sonny
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

Well I'm in a small town so it's not playing anywhere, but I can answer that last question.

Scanner Darkly is based on a short story by sci-fi crazy man Philip K. Dick, his work has been translated (not very well) in stuff like Blade Runner, Total Recall and Minority Report, but it's hard to really bring his stuff to the screen.

This looks like it might come the closest though. The story is about a detective who has to take down a drug dealer, only he has to do the drug too...and the drug has a bad habit of seperating your brain into two halves and two personalities...so he doesn't realize that he's actually the drug dealer that he's trying to take down.

Crazy stuff. Should be trippy, confusing and cool.
Jack19
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:55 pm  Reply with quote

It's playing in KC and I plan to see it. Looks cool as hell.
Sirand
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:29 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I'll wait for video.

I love Philip K Dick, but hate Richard Linklater. Looks like a series of monologues done in that pointless rotoscoping - more of his artsy fartsy indie bullshit.
Lustmord
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:08 am  Reply with quote

I'll wait till it comes out on DVD..would like to see it in theaters but its so damn expensive. besides we have a huge flat screen tv to watch it on.. Wink..website is interesting..
gprime
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:53 am  Reply with quote

I'd have loved to see it in theaters. But its not playing anywhere near here. So I guess I'll have to wait for dvd.
JChimpo
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:03 am  Reply with quote

I'd like to see it but I'll probably wait for the dvd.

--Raoul Duke
Miss Wormwood
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:50 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
I love Philip K Dick, but hate Richard Linklater. Looks like a series of monologues done in that pointless rotoscoping - more of his artsy fartsy indie bullshit.

I love Richard Linklater's pointless artsy fartsy indie rotoscoping bullshit. I'm screwed though for seeing it in theaters--living in flyover country sucks. One of the reasons I'm moving to L.A. is so I can have first crack at shit that only opens on 17 screens. My fiance already lives there and will be seeing it this weekend. Maybe I can get him to post his thoughts. He likes Linklater's artsy fartsy bullshit too.
Miss Wormwood
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:48 am  Reply with quote

Okay, my man just called me with his two cents review, which I've transcribed for you below about 98% verbatim:

A Scanner Darkly is set 7 years in the future. Keanu's a drug addict who becomes progressively worse throughout the movie. He's addicted to Substance B, distilled from a plant and way more addicting than heroin. 20% of the population is addicted to it.

I don't want to tell you too much about the plot because I don't want to ruin it, but it's cool. It's definitely worth watching. People clapped at the end. It's a trip. Keanu didn't bother me at all--he did all right playing a mellow drug addict. His "non-personality" style of acting kind of worked in this. The reason he kind of worked was--you know how he always seems confused when he's acting? This part really called for that. Woody Harrelson was funny. Robert Downey Jr. was great--if anybody knows how to play a druggie I guess that guy probably would.

It was crazy, man. The whole style of the movie was so fucking cool, so original. It was like a cartoon that looked real, only shifted a little bit. It's a total drug movie. It's definitely something you should watch on mind-altering substances. You'd like it [meaning me, but by definition extending to all potheads out there]. This is the type of movie that's going to become an instant drug classic, I would say. Killer fuckin' movie. Oh and what's her name was in it--the shoplifting chick. As a cartoon actress she's not that annoying, which was kind of nice. Also her cartoon tits looked really good. It's always weird seeing cartoon tits. You don't know if you should like them or not.

As a footnote, I'd like to say shame on the Arclight for charging $14 for a motherfucking movie ticket.
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

Warner Independent Pictures has made the first 24 minutes of 'A Scanner Darkly' available as an online exclusive at IGN FilmForce

http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/670/670907/vids_1.html
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:50 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

Miss Wormwood wrote:
I love Richard Linklater's pointless artsy fartsy indie rotoscoping bullshit.

Me too! Waking Life is one of my all-time faves along with, of course, the Sunrise/Sunset films. Unfortunately, it's not playing anywhere near me so far -- I'm hoping for a wider release in a week or two.
Tony Saint
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:57 am  Reply with quote

The Woman In Black wrote:
Miss Wormwood wrote:
I love Richard Linklater's pointless artsy fartsy indie rotoscoping bullshit.

Me too! Waking Life is one of my all-time faves along with, of course, the Sunrise/Sunset films. Unfortunately, it's not playing anywhere near me so far -- I'm hoping for a wider release in a week or two.

Bless you both. Linklater's a favorite of mine, too. Have either of you seen the Criterion DVD of Slacker? It comes with his first feature, It's Impossible to Learn to Plow by Reading Books. Watch them both back to back.

I saw A Scanner Darkly tonight, at the Bijou in San Antonio.

It's better than Blade Runner. Much better.

I'm glad it's Linklater adapting Phil Dick. Someone as introspective and thoughtful as the man himself. Linklater's had an odd career, but he has the right idea: you do a Bad News Bears or School of Rock, then you do something more personal, more interesting, and far more important. Smart guy. Had Dazed and Confused not become such a favorite, I'm not sure he would have taken that path. He's one of the few mainstream filmmakers out there with a voice.

I went to a book store after the movie, because I'm back on a Dick kick.

Wait. Hold on.

Holy shit that's funny!

Anyway, I saw that A Scanner Darkly had sold out, which I found encouraging: more folks are reading good science fiction. What I wasn't expecting were the books about Dick. Pretty cool.

If I write one, it will be called, You Don't Know Dick.

Again, an amazing film. Watch the hell out of it if you get the chance. The theater was packed where I saw it. Maybe we're not all dumbasses...even in Texas.

Hear the "Killer Nerd" remix at Wayne Alan Harold and Toby Radloff's Lurid Entertainment!
Lunablix
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:56 pm  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

I will be seeing it this coming week.
X-Count
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

I will see this on DVD while being incredibly stoned to where it'll actually make since and possibly cause a seizure.
GODHOOD
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

I'll wait for the DVD.