FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> The Walking Dead + Frank Darabont = geekgasm
The Butcher
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:59 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

No thread on the forthcoming THE WALKING DEAD series to hit AMC eh?

Well, many of us here know just how brilliant the comics series is. Many of us here know just how brilliant writer/director Frank Darabont is.

This show will most assuredly kick major fucking tail. I have been praying for cable to pick the ongoing comic up for visual adaption. Now that it's really happening I am going to be stuck doing the pee-pee dance until it sees the airwaves.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:07 am  Reply with quote

I'm not happy that it's going on basic cable. The book is incredibly graphic and that's part of it's appeal. How shocking it is on top of great characterization. I'm happy this is going to be a series, or at least on it's way to be, but I would prefer it on HBO or Showtime.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:56 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

DSIC, check out the amazing show Breaking Bad on AMC and then get back to me. Trust me, that show takes it there as far as violence and even blood.

I would agree if I didn't know better. Plus, if it airs in a 10pm time slot restrictions really let up. And I'm pretty sure it will.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:37 am  Reply with quote

The Shield was graphic as all hell as well, but do you honestly think they'll show the aftermath of the children's deaths in the prison as it was represented in the book? Never mind what happened that caused them to leave the prison.
Bone Daddy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:46 am  Reply with quote

I recently purchased all five Book volumes of the Walking Dead. amazing story. True, basic cable won't be able to show everything in all of its graphic mayhem and adult situations, but the team behind and how far cable has come in recent years, it may just work.

Rottenjesus
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:56 am  Reply with quote

It's fucking Darabont. That's all that needs to be said.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:36 am  Reply with quote

Rottenjesus wrote:
It's fucking Darabont. That's all that needs to be said.

Darabont is a great writer/director, no doubt. And Hurd is a great producer. So I have no doubt dramatically and production-wise, the show will be amazing. But I want it to be as brutal, visually, as the book as well.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:56 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I'm way more concerned with the materials dramatic nature being maintained than the gore. Yes, it would be nice to have it punched up and be brutal (and I am sure it will be) but with Darabont on board I am positive we are in not good but GREAT hands.
goblin310
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

I'd rather see this series on premium cable as well, but the fact that it's being made at all is good enough for me.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:51 pm  Reply with quote

The Butcher wrote:
I'm way more concerned with the materials dramatic nature being maintained than the gore.

I'm not concerned about that at all. Why? Because of the talent behind it. Why would you be concerned with Darabont and Hurd running the show?
The Butcher
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:59 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
I'm way more concerned with the materials dramatic nature being maintained than the gore.

I'm not concerned about that at all. Why? Because of the talent behind it. Why would you be concerned with Darabont and Hurd running the show?

I'm NOT worried now that Darabont is helming it. That's not how I meant it. I meant OVERALL I want the accent to be on the drama not the gore.

Take your own posts into context DSIC, I'm replying to you harping on the maybe-lack of gore.

Why do I even bother? You have a Platinum Dunes Jason as your avatar. I should realize you cannot be reasoned with. HAHAHAHA.

Fuck it. Back to my book on Antonioni. He made films. They haven't been remade so you probably haven't seen them.

*said in good humor. I'm just ribbing you man.*
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:33 am  Reply with quote

I have a Jason mask that I like as my avatar. I like the look of the new Jason. That it came in a tepid remake is just merely unfortunate. Nice try though.

You do realize that a lot of the drama in The Walking Dead has to do with the brutality of the situation. They're reactions to the horrors they see affects the reader because we see the same thing. I'm "harping" because both of them are what made the book successful. If the images of gore and violence weren't as important as the drama, Kirman, Moore, and ultimately Adlard wouldn't have included it. Hence why I feel like it won't be a proper adaptation without it.
Sirand
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:51 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The Shield was basic cable. 'Nuff said.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
The Shield was basic cable. 'Nuff said.

The Shield pulled a LOT of punches. Remember when they blew the dead guy's face off? Didn't really show much other than blood.

Look, I know it will be graphic, but it won't be as graphic as the book, which I feel it should be to give it proper justice.

They would NEVER show what happens to The Governer, the kids or Tyresee.
Sirand
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:16 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

What they can't show on TV, they'll most likely leave in the DVD versions, like Battlestar Galactica. I'm not worried.