FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Watchmen Director's Cut
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

Picked it up the other night. I like it a lot. I liked the theatrical cut, but the extra half an hour really makes a difference. They added the death of Hollis Mason back in and there are some shots of the guys at the news stand. A lot of little character moments are put back in. It's overall just a bit closer to the tone and feeling of the book, because of those added scenes.

Any thoughts?
Legba
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

I've yet to see any version actually. But I'm not one to let thoughtful inquiries go by the wayside. So I'm posting in this thread!
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:06 am  Reply with quote

I dunno. To be honest I had a tough time sitting through the shorter version. There were some outstanding moments but as a whole it was pretty tedious. I'm sure one of these days I'll check out the extended cut.

One of these days...
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:06 am  Reply with quote

I dunno. To be honest I had a tough time sitting through the shorter version. There were some outstanding moments but as a whole it was pretty tedious. I'm sure one of these days I'll check out the extended cut.

One of these days...
arandomthought
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:59 am  Reply with quote

Good to know they added some of the newstand scenes. Those were some of my favorite.
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

I love the Director's Cut... am eagerly awaiting the fully integrated version coming out in a few months where they splice in scenes from the Black Freighter animated, as well
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

arandomthought wrote:
Good to know they added some of the newstand scenes. Those were some of my favorite.

They don't add a lot back in, but they add in one important one that shows Walter Kovaks asking about that Republican newspaper he reads, and another with the Top Knots talking about Hollis Mason
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:33 am  Reply with quote

Damn, the conversations with the black kid, and the newsman, with the black frieghter in between was some amazing stuff. Too bad.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

yeah, but it's not imperative to the plot and the movie is 3 hours long, so its understandable why they cut it. The couple of scenes they do add in are a nice touch though.

Have you watched the Black Freighter animated movie?
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, I was kind of dissapointed. It was changed a little too much, and it didn't have the same oomph it did in the comic as it progressed with the watchmen story.

Also, one part of what was awesome about the black freighter, is it paralleled the watchmen story perfectly.
dcburny
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:17 am  Reply with quote
In need of a hug

nonserviam03 wrote:
Picked it up the other night. I like it a lot. I liked the theatrical cut, but the extra half an hour really makes a difference. They added the death of Hollis Mason back in and there are some shots of the guys at the news stand. A lot of little character moments are put back in. It's overall just a bit closer to the tone and feeling of the book, because of those added scenes.

Any thoughts?

I dunno.

I was a big fan of the book when it first came out, and actually shoplifted it from the Cicero Public Library in 1986 when I was but 12 years old.

Years later, it made such an impact on me that I remembered it well long after I'd stopped reading comics...and whenever someone would ask me about what comic to read, or what comic should be made into a movie, I always said, "Watchmen".

I saw that it had finally been made into a movie, and revisited the comic. I thought it was brilliant, as I was able to understand it alot better at 35 years old than I did at 12.

I saw the flick, and loved it...the first two times I saw it. But, when I scored a high-quality bootleg in June, I watched it. Once.

And, I don't care to watch it again. I've simply lost interest.

I wonder how that happens? Neutral
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't seen the Director's Cut, but from what Ive read, it doesn't really help with some of the true faults in this adaptation.

The narrative and characterization just didn't capture the complexities of Dr Manhatan's existence like Moore's writing did. He was a human mind having god-like omnipresence and it just didn't translate well on screen. Maybe it was the dull, monotone narration. Also, the melodramatic bs especially revolving around the "reveal" of the relationship between Comedian and the girl just started to kill it for me after being bored through the final act.

This movie should be prime example to fanboys that strict adaptations of source material do not always work. A filmmaker/screenwriter must take creative freedom when translating.

I just hope the makers of futrue potential films of Preacher, The Boys, Sandman, etc understand this.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:08 am  Reply with quote

Just got the Ultimate Cut. ANOTHER half an hour. Excellent.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:39 am  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:

I just bought this from Amazon. I can't wait to see how all of the various elements are integrated - Hollis Mason, the Black Freighter, et al.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:30 am  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:

Please send me a link, and tell me everything!