FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> The Doors
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

I can never get into a discussion about the Doors because every time I try the person I'm talking to usually hates them and thinks Jim sucks. What? Seriously? Jim and the boys got me laid far more than any other band when I was a teenager.

I love the Doors. Jim is not dead.
BadAsh
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:15 am  Reply with quote

really? I have never experienced that...The Doors are pretty popular and most people I talk to think they are pretty cool.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

Jim could write some lyrics.

My bedroom was in the basement. Just a massive room all to myself with my own shower. I had put up christmas lights all around and had movie posters all over the walls. Various ship and plane models either sat on my desk and bookcase or hung from the ceiling. I had every Stephen King book he had written up to that point on my shelves and to top it off I had a giany fuzzy blanket with a lion on it covering my queensized bed. I also had 4 giant speakers in every corner for some quadrophonic sound.

Any new girl I'd bring in I'd dim the lights, put on The End and before the song was over I'd be at third base and heading home. Those were good times indeed.

Whenever I listen to the Doors now I always think back to those times.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:21 am  Reply with quote

BadAsh wrote:
really? I have never experienced that...The Doors are pretty popular and most people I talk to think they are pretty cool.

That's what I've found as well. What's interesting to me is watching my kids and their friends. They know the Beatles, The Doors, Led Zepplin etc. But the big missing classic rock band seems to be The Rolling Stores, followed by The Who.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

My kids know the Stones because I listen to them with them but I don't listen to The Who very much and I doubt any of their friends do. My kids seem to be way ahead of other kids the same age much like I was having three older teenage sisters during the 70's.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:14 am  Reply with quote

My oldest is digging on stuff like Howling Wolf and the old old blues stuff so it's certainly not a lack of interest in exposure. As far as the Stones go I'm just starting to appreciate them again after literally decades. I'm just saying bands like The Beatles and to a lesser extent the Doors have an ongoing appeal where others come and go.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:14 am  Reply with quote

My oldest is digging on stuff like Howling Wolf and the old old blues stuff so it's certainly not a lack of interest in exposure. As far as the Stones go I'm just starting to appreciate them again after literally decades. I'm just saying bands like The Beatles and to a lesser extent the Doors have an ongoing appeal where others come and go.
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

Gus Bjork wrote:

aw fuck, Howlin' Wolf is the SHIT! I love him.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:17 pm  Reply with quote

Gus Bjork wrote:

There just aren't any bands like these around today. I hate pop music with a fiery passion. That stuff never stands the test of time because for the most part it's meaningless fluff bullshit. The Doors music is deep and poetic. Jim was truly a musical genious. It just pisses me off when people write them off as stoner rock much like people do with Pink Floyd. I have never needed to be on drugs to appreciate them although I will say that listening to them on drugs definitely adds a whole nother dimension to the music.

The movie is phenominal. Val Kilmer was amazing.
snakesandladders
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:19 am  Reply with quote

The Doors are not liked by everyone becauase they were highly psychedelic and that very adjective scares the hell outta many people like it was some splatter-gore movie! Lots of peeps tend to associate psychedelic music and the Doors with drugs which is o ne the biggest misconceptions in rock history. I love psychedelic music more than any other "genere" and I've never done drugs, so what's the big buzz?! I love the Doors as a band and my fave song remains their most underrated tune called The Changeling....speaking about deep psychedelia SmileSmile