FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> True Blood
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:43 am  Reply with quote

What True Blood needs to keep up with are the bits of flashbacks that reveal more of our characters through their past (a la Lost). I got a kick out of seeing Bill in 20's Chicago and then 30's L.A. And Eric's reveal of who is Godrick is to him was probably my favorite scene all season. It's key that they aren't just there for flash, but rather these scenes are literary tools to develop the characters amd to create a parallel to the current story thread.

I'd especially like to see the times leading to the creation of Tru Blood and the vampires "Coming Out". I bet that is rich with struggle and conflict amongst most of the known players.
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:13 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

This season is so good, I'm almost scared they are blowing their wad too early.

Unless these villains are continued through several seasons, it'll be hard to top all the threats these characters are facing right now.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:45 pm  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
This season is so good, I'm almost scared they are blowing their wad too early.

Unless these villains are continued through several seasons, it'll be hard to top all the threats these characters are facing right now.

I haven't read the Harris novels they are based on, but I've noticed there are quite a few of them so source material shouldn't be in short supply which is good hope that we have plenty of conflicts up ahead.

Werewolves have been mentioned by Sam twice now, so eventually that lot is bound to show up in the story.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:20 am  Reply with quote

Who thinks Jason isn't really dead? It would seem out of character for Sara to kill him.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
Who thinks Jason isn't really dead? It would seem out of character for Sara to kill him.

Jason is such a key and central character to the show that there's no way they'd kill him off so soon and without a direct impact to the story.

Thanks to the actor and the writing, I think Jason is one of the best "stupid" characters on tv. He is the epitome of being young, dumb and full of cum.
Legba
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

Trying to avoid reading much about Season Two as possible before settling down with it on Blu-ray, but Season One is kicking my ass. Still have 2 eps to go. I'll be like Jason and that crazy bitch Amy fer too long in the interim.
Sirand
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:37 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Nah, the Jason thing is a total fake-out. It's probably part of some elaborate church-test or something.
Legba
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

More cleverly disguised religious propaganda...geeesh!
JoeDarkfall
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:20 am  Reply with quote

Soon as I saw dude I told my wife, "He's got a bomb!"

The only thing about the latest episode that kinda "broke" continuity was....How come Sookie didn't hear dude's thoughts?

In a house full of Vamps the only thoughts she would be hearing was Jason's & Luke's. (assuming all the others were vamps)

Can't wait til next week.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

JoeDarkfall wrote:
Soon as I saw dude I told my wife, "He's got a bomb!"

The only thing about the latest episode that kinda "broke" continuity was....How come Sookie didn't hear dude's thoughts?

In a house full of Vamps the only thoughts she would be hearing was Jason's & Luke's. (assuming all the others were vamps)

Can't wait til next week.

Good point.

It has seemed in recent episodes that Sookie has had to "try" to read minds to hear the thoughts. She hadn't just been bombarded with countless voices like we saw last season.

Maybe it has something to do with the drinking of Bill's and now Eric's blood. Maybe her relationship with them and her inclusion in the Vampire nests have led to her ability to better control her gift.

That would seem like something probably better explored in the books and not focused on in a show.
Acadia
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

They can keep the town going at least as long as they kept Buffy's town going, I think. Maybe they can have Buffy visit the town. I think the invention of Tru Blood would put her out of a job?
The Butcher
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:35 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I hated this show at first. Now I like it quite a bit.

For a soap opera at least.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

I finally watched the first season. While I was heavily entertained and wanted to see what happened next, I don't really see where all the praise is coming from. Yes, it's VERY funny, but it's not nearly as shocking as it wants to be. With the exception of one early death of a supposed major character, not a single thing surprised me...Wait, I take that back...Seeing Lizzy Caplan naked was a very good surprise. I called every single surprise before it happened.

And these are the lamest vampires I've seen. I would even go so far as to say they're just as lame as the Twilight vampires because at least those vampires didn't feel neutered. Bill is horrible. I actually didn't care when he wasn't on screen at all. And those lame speed up FX when ever vamps move?

The things I do like about the show, as I said, is that it's really funny. From obvious to extremely dark, the show made me laugh. And the other thing I really like is Anna Paquin. I never found her very attractive but I always thought she was talented. Now I find her very attractive and talented. She's an extremely well-drawn character. And is really the best thing about this show with a close second being Rutina Wesley as her very funny friend, Tara. The way she reacts to the things she sees makes me laugh every time.

This show is purely, extremely entertaining junk. And not a damn thing more. At least, as far as season 1 goes.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
I finally watched the first season. While I was heavily entertained and wanted to see what happened next, I don't really see where all the praise is coming from. Yes, it's VERY funny, but it's not nearly as shocking as it wants to be. With the exception of one early death of a supposed major character, not a single thing surprised me...Wait, I take that back...Seeing Lizzy Caplan naked was a very good surprise. I called every single surprise before it happened.

And these are the lamest vampires I've seen. I would even go so far as to say they're just as lame as the Twilight vampires because at least those vampires didn't feel neutered. Bill is horrible. I actually didn't care when he wasn't on screen at all. And those lame speed up FX when ever vamps move?

The things I do like about the show, as I said, is that it's really funny. From obvious to extremely dark, the show made me laugh. And the other thing I really like is Anna Paquin. I never found her very attractive but I always thought she was talented. Now I find her very attractive and talented. She's an extremely well-drawn character. And is really the best thing about this show with a close second being Rutina Wesley as her very funny friend, Tara. The way she reacts to the things she sees makes me laugh every time.

This show is purely, extremely entertaining junk. And not a damn thing more. At least, as far as season 1 goes.

Funny, because there is a large fanbase that think Paquin is the weakest part of the show. I don't know if it's her character or how she portrays her character, but mid-way through Season 2, she's been getting on my nerves. And I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, because I I can't get past her gap-toothed, fish face.

But this is the first time in a while I've enjoyed junk tv. It's trashy, but I really am into the story and the development of the major characters now through Season 2.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

EvilRex wrote:

Funny, because there is a large fanbase that think Paquin is the weakest part of the show. I don't know if it's her character or how she portrays her character, but mid-way through Season 2, she's been getting on my nerves. And I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, because I I can't get past her gap-toothed, fish face.

There is a large fanbase that think this is quality TV too. Like I said, I never really found her attractive. Something about her on this show does it for me.