FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Titanic
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

I really don't care what anyone says I think this is an amazing movie. I have been into the story of the Titanic since I was a kid and while the original is a good movie James Cameron really brought the Titanic to life. He payed such close attention to detail as he always does and the effects are simply jaw dropping imo. He went over the deep end with it and became obsessed which reminded me of Kubrick. Maybe it started with The Abyss. I have Aliens of the Deep a documentary he made but haven't watched it just yet.

Anyway, I even enjoy the love story. Take that! Laughing
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

This movie could have been so much better than it was. I don't think it's bad at all, but I didn't give a rat's ass about the Jack/Rose romance. A lot of the problem comes from the fact that there is no choice involved. Jack is clearly a better choice for Rose, not because she loves him but because Zane plays such a cad and villain that he might as well have had a mustache to twirl. It would have been far more interesting if he was a good man but just not who she loved. Then the theme of true love would have resonated better. I think The Dark Knight took this idea and made it work.

Also, the movie would have been better if it had focused more on the characters in the poor section of the ship. Without it, it's hard to feel much of the intended emotional impact of the tragedy of their deaths. We spend most of the movie with the rich people who mostly lived. If you're going to show a tragic event, you should show the actually tragedy.

Again, not a bad movie, just not as good as it could have been because it played it remarkably safe.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

Rose's fiancee or whatever was not the greatest guy in the world but he was incredibly wealthy and for a woman like Rose to want to give up everything she had known and the way she lived to be with Jack who had nothing definitely impacted me.

I thought most of the rich people were pretty decent and the Captain oh man. Rich or poor it was still a tragic event. So many mistakes were made.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Rose's fiancee or whatever was not the greatest guy in the world but he was incredibly wealthy and for a woman like Rose to want to give up everything she had known and the way she lived to be with Jack who had nothing definitely impacted me.

Not the greatest guy? He was obviously a piece of shit. It was completely superficial drama. OOOOH she gave up riches for true love. It would have been a much better arc if she gave up riches with a decent man, for a poor guy who she truly loved.

Quote:
I thought most of the rich people were pretty decent and the Captain oh man. Rich or poor it was still a tragic event. So many mistakes were made.

All the decent rich people lived. The captain was barely a character. Sorry, but for things like this to matter in drama you should care about the characters. I really didn't because Cameron made no real attempts to have that happen.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

You're making perfect sense to me and bringing up good, valid points but what can I say. The movie made an impact on me emotionally. WHen Jack finally slips into the ocean it's a pretty gut wrenching moment. I also may have a hard time separating the reality from the film as well.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
You're making perfect sense to me and bringing up good, valid points but what can I say. The movie made an impact on me emotionally. WHen Jack finally slips into the ocean it's a pretty gut wrenching moment. I also may have a hard time separating the reality from the film as well.

It's cool that you like it, I'm just saying how I feel about it.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

It's cool that you like it, I'm just saying how I feel about it.

That's cool man I totally agree with what you're saying actually I just don't need anything to be different.
Legba
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

This is one of the most groundbreaking threads in the history of message boards and the internet!
X-Count
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

This movie would've been great if they made it only an hour and a half long and made it a comedy instead of a drama.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

No fighting erupted between Trip and DSIC?! Damn it! Let's get it on! Laughing
Lantern Man
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:10 am  Reply with quote

Location: an hour south of Tampa... just follow the "old man" smell.

What the hell ever happened to Rose's mom, though? They never did get back to her.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

I'm just waiting for TITANIC 2: REVENGE OF THE MUTANT KILLER ICEBERG!!!!
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

Lantern Man wrote:
What the hell ever happened to Rose's mom, though? They never did get back to her.

Good point. I never thought about it before.
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:10 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

This movie could have been so much better than it was. I don't think it's bad at all, but I didn't give a rat's ass about the Jack/Rose romance. A lot of the problem comes from the fact that there is no choice involved. Jack is clearly a better choice for Rose, not because she loves him but because Zane plays such a cad and villain that he might as well have had a mustache to twirl. It would have been far more interesting if he was a good man but just not who she loved. Then the theme of true love would have resonated better. I think The Dark Knight took this idea and made it work.

I actually kind of agree with the principle here (incidently this idea is done almost perfectly in Sweet Home Alabama, which is one of the reasons its one of the few chick flicks I like)... but I don't think Zane's character was really so bad as the mustache twirling villian... he just came across to me as the entitled rich asshole guy.

But the movie did play up the virtuous poor and idle, petty rich a bit too much, definitely.

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Morgan Elektra wrote:

I actually kind of agree with the principle here (incidently this idea is done almost perfectly in Sweet Home Alabama, which is one of the reasons its one of the few chick flicks I like)... but I don't think Zane's character was really so bad as the mustache twirling villian... he just came across to me as the entitled rich asshole guy.

But the movie did play up the virtuous poor and idle, petty rich a bit too much, definitely.

Funny you mentioned Sweet Home. While it's not a movie would watch again, I did appreciate that they didn't make either guy an obvious choice. But as for Zane? When he starts shooting at the hero and his fiance, yeah, I'd say he crossed the line into twirls ville.