FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:04 am  Reply with quote

Morgan Elektra wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Morgan Elektra wrote:
I thought it was okay... not the worst in the series, not the best. As amusing as it was, they spent too much time on the hormonal drama.

This is far more interesting than anything in the main arc. The series feels like 3 O'clock High stretched out for 6 movies. It really feels like Rowling has been milking this premise for as long as she can to make as much money as she can.

To each his own... but I'd rather watch a nice battle of good vs. evil than teenagers making up and breaking up.

I'd like to see a battle between good and evil too. The Harry Potter movies promise it but we still haven't gotten it. The last film had a brief moment, but it's been 6 movies that are the equivalent of "My boyfriend's gonna beat you up".
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:44 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

This is true... the movies have condensed things down too much to really convey the deeper stuff, which is why I find them rather mediocre compared to the books.

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:00 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Oh and before I forget, the score for this film is one of the worst ones I have ever heard. Where was Williams HP theme? Where? Harry Potter is supposed to sound big and epic, with a sense of magic.

This felt like nothing. It felt like shit.

These movies are fucking awful. I start waiting the 20 years before I remake them, with a single director, who actually can adapt a fucking book.
Sirand
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:45 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Sorry, but I think John Williams' HP scores kinda suck. They're overly cutesy, underscore every damn thing, and sound largely like rejected music cues from the Star Wars prequels. Like Danny Elfman, I think he's way past his prime.
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:21 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Sirand wrote:
Sorry, but I think John Williams' HP scores kinda suck. They're overly cutesy, underscore every damn thing, and sound largely like rejected music cues from the Star Wars prequels. Like Danny Elfman, I think he's way past his prime.

Completely disagree. Williams score for the first two harry potter movies, and especially the third are some of his best stuff. As far as cutesy goes, yeah, the movies are cutesy, but his third score for the third film is amazing, and probably some of his best work.

The Hedwig theme is bar none one of the best accompanying themes ever created. It is perfectly (and rightfully so) associated forever with the Harry Potter franchise.

Not to mention the low violins and cellos he uses for the Dementors theme is down right horrifying and creepy. And Lupin's transformation scene is absolutely fantastic piece of music.

When he left the series it died a little.

But please, go right ahead and give me some good tracks from Nicholas Hooper.

You know what the most effective scenes are in the last two movies? Moments where there is only didactic sound. That's because Hooper couldn't give us a dramatic key to save himself.

(I will concede though some of his work in Order of the Phoenix I enjoy, mainly the wizard battle towards the end. But I think it would have been done better with Williams. )
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't like it. I was bored half the time, and everything seemed horribly unrelated to each other. The movie was called the half blood prince, but he didn't feel as if he were an important part of the story. The bridge collapse was well done except for the fact that the newspaper said people died, when you can see everyone get off it by the time it goes. The ending was the best part, though it seemed really out of character for harry potter just standing there, without doing anything. After all hes been through you'd think he'd be able to do something.

I'm just waiting for the next movie because I know what's going to happen.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:41 pm  Reply with quote

I'll stick with The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia.

Gandalf can beat up Harry Potter and as far as dragons go I can't fucking wait to see Smaug in all his glory.
conundrum
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:10 am  Reply with quote

They need to drop this stupid Dark Lord subplot bullshit. The angsty teen wizards aspect was amusing, charming, and even a bit endearing. If it is a bit... creepy at times. Sorry, Ginny tying Harry's shoelaces was just wrong.

The arching plot of the story? It was hastily thrown together and left out a lot of stuff. I mean of course stuff was bound to be left out, but the finished product seems so vastly inferior to story from the books that it cannot help but disappoint.