FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Sirand
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:34 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Teaser trailer is up. And it looks kinda creepy.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/harry_potter_and_the_half_blood_prince/trailers.php
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:43 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I'm already psyched. Fiennes' nephew plays that scene very well... let's hope he holds up like that for the rest of his part.

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
conundrum
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

I get the feeling that I am going to set myself up for another letdown and will see this.

These are like the opposite of Will Ferrell movies for me; I know I will be disappointed (I think I just hold them to impossible standards) but I go to see them in the theatre anyway. With Will Ferrell movies I have yet to see one and not like it, but still refuse to see them in the theatre because I convince myself they will just be dumb.

And while I realize that I am years late in this, I wish I could see Cillian Murphy as Voldemort. Hell, Dumbledore changed a couple movies into the series...(yeah, I know, the actor died, but still)
Impure159
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

Meh

I haven't read any books after the goblet of fire and coincidently thats the last movie I also saw. This franchise just kind of lost my interest a while back.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Does this mean Dumbledore also has a collection of erotic memories? Probably hiding them under his wizard bed, maybe?
The Buz
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:47 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

My god....the cinematography keeps getting better and better with each movie. I'm so glad they brought in the guy from Across the Universe.
Sirand
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:13 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Saw the film and really enjoyed it. I'd probably rank it right behind "Prisoner" for my favorite of the series. After seeing people guzzle down the liquid-shit of Transformers 2, it's nice to finally have a summer movie with story and characters that never pander to the audience.

HBP was never my favorite of the books, cause it was pretty much all exposition, but they condensed it all into a really engaging 2 1/2 hours without ever making it feel abridged or rushed through.

What's amazing is just how dark and dread-filled this film is. There were a couple of moments that actually scared the shit out of me. It's the polar opposite of those bad, overly-whimsical Chris Columbus kiddie films. I can't see many kids actually enjoying this one, just because of how bleak and mature and talky it is. And it's amazing to see how all the actors have evolved over the course of the series. The performances are just all around amazing.

My only gripe is the last 10 minutes, which could've been done a little better in a few spots...but overall they're still pretty powerful.

I'm foaming at the mouth for The Deathly Hallows. Glad we have the same director tackling those films.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:19 pm  Reply with quote

I love when people trash people for enjoying Transformers as if they're incapable of enjoying this movie.
The Buz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:43 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Saw the midnight show.

I'm a bit disappointed gotta say. For a movie called the Half Blood Prince, they really didn't give us a whole lot of Half Blood Prince.

And the ending, which is the most powerful section of the book, is completely wasted.

Now I'm nervous about Deathly Hollows.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't seen this film yet, but I have read Harry's review of it. He truly is one of a kind, as far as internet critics go. If I want many good laughs I'll read one of his reviews. As usual, it was more about his life experiences and less about the film. He somehow managed to work in Bing Crosby into his review.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

I liked it. Probably my favourite of the series. But it finally dawned on me why I'm never blown away by these films. I care more about the 3 central characters and their lives more than the overall arch of the Harry Potter series. When the 3 of them are on screen I'm totally into it. When they're not I just wish they'd get on with it so we can get back to the trio. I find they're personal drama much more interesting.
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:56 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I thought it was okay... not the worst in the series, not the best. As amusing as it was, they spent too much time on the hormonal drama. They really dropped the ball on setting the foundation for important things to come in Deathly Hallows that I'm dreading seeing how they now shoehorn into the script otherwise.

Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

My gf is a Harry Potter fanatic. She read all of the books over again before seeing the movie as she does before every HP movie. She thought the movie was horrible and thinks they've killed it.

I tried to read the first book but it was so incredibly childish I couldn't do it. She tells me it gets much more mature as it goes on but I can't jump into a series halfway through.

The movies don't do anything for me. I've seen them all once and that's enough. They even managed to make a dragon seem boring.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

Morgan Elektra wrote:
I thought it was okay... not the worst in the series, not the best. As amusing as it was, they spent too much time on the hormonal drama.

This is far more interesting than anything in the main arc. The series feels like 3 O'clock High stretched out for 6 movies. It really feels like Rowling has been milking this premise for as long as she can to make as much money as she can.
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:22 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Morgan Elektra wrote:
I thought it was okay... not the worst in the series, not the best. As amusing as it was, they spent too much time on the hormonal drama.

This is far more interesting than anything in the main arc. The series feels like 3 O'clock High stretched out for 6 movies. It really feels like Rowling has been milking this premise for as long as she can to make as much money as she can.

To each his own... but I'd rather watch a nice battle of good vs. evil than teenagers making up and breaking up.