FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> (500) Days of Summer (2009)
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:37 am  Reply with quote

One of the things I don't like about romantic comedies is that they follow such a strict formula that it doesn't offer anything interesting other than hopefully likable characters and an interesting premise. They never show how messy love and romance is, or how one person affects another's life if things don't work out. Along comes (500) Days of Summer which is one of the gutsiest studio romantic comedies I've seen in years.

Not only does the movie throw out every conventional cliche that you can think of, it's also told in an interesting way, with everything from being almost completely non-linear, but with one of the most inventive uses of split-screen in recent memory and a fun dance number.

The acting is top notch from Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel as two people looking for very different things from the other person. These things aren't just character quirks and suggestions. They drive the story completely. They lead the viewer on this interesting, meaningful, funny and disastrous journey of a relationship.

The movie isn't without flaws, though. The supporting cast are humorous but barely there and actually only serve as set ups for a funny joke and there is very little by way of tension in their relationship other than a couple of scenes. I would have liked a bit more information as to why things wind up the way they do, but the movie still does a great job of giving you enough information. It just didn't have the impact that it should have. It's hard for me to write specifics without ruining plot points in the movie. But the movie is told entirely from Gordon-Levitt's perspective and him being in love it's a bit skewed, but there should have come a great moment of negativity for him to realize things aren't always sunshine and Hall and Oates.

I highly recommend this movie.

9/10
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:56 am  Reply with quote

I can't wait to see this.

And in related news, here's Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel as Nancy Spungen and Sid Vicious, respectively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoCwGUtuI6E