FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Eyes Wide Shut
Legba
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

I love Mother Of Tears. I've never seen him more confidently execute form in his career. It's not just using the aesthetics of the grotesque, but encompassing many elemental disciplines. Just a well rounded, enigmatic piece of modern fantasia. Hope that's not too florid, but there's no really plain way to descibe much of his work.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, I couldn't think of it any differently. I thought it was passionless and uninteresting. As much as I've always been into Asia I think it has to be the worst performance I have ever seen by her. Maybe it's just one of those movies that will grow on me. I hope it is.
Legba
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

Well...there's no doubt he was passionate about the production, as there's plenty of evidence to the fact he was borderline giddy with enthusiasm on the set. Whether that translates to you personally is another matter.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't heard or seen anything from him about the movie other than trying to explain the ridiculous ending and saying that the characters were reacting to the fact that none of the events in the movie actually took place that it was all a fantasy. I won't write it off just yet but I'm not ready to watch it again either.
Legba
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

The ending just a wonderful use of figurative archetype. My favorite of all his films.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

I was very eager to see Mother of Tears. Then I watched it.

Holy fuck, I think a timeshare presentation is more enjoyable than that movie.
brain
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

I'm actually going to jump in and say that Kubrick is my all-time favorite! I don't think he ever made a bad movie with maybe the exception of Fear and Desire(even that one contains some merit). On the subject of Eyes wide Shut, I think that's got to be the greatest conclusion to any directors filmography that i can think of! It's a strange movie that I have continued to return to over the years and I actually just watched again the other night as well. What do you think of some of his earlier works? Also, have you had the chance to see Fear and Desire?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

Finally, I can sit and respond. Everytime I'm about to I'm either battling a dodgy internet connection or getting called away.

Fear and Desire is one of three Kubrick films I have yet to see. His 3 earliest films are the ones I'm missing. Actually I'm missing them all right now except for the ones released on Blu-ray so far which is basically the Kubrick Collection minus Barry Lyndon and Lolita. I'd like an Ultimate Kubrick Collection with all of his films. As for his ealier works I'd say Spartacus and Paths of Glory are the standouts to me although I haven't seen any of them in awhile. I'll have to make it a point.

EWS makes me sad in that while it was a great way to go out I just think it was too soon. He wasn't done by any stretch. I wonder if the Napolean film would have been his next one. The amount of research he did for each subject was amazing but what he did for Napolean just blows my mind. He wasn't just a filmmaker, he was a historean and obsessive about everything. For Napolean he had a card catalogue with a card for each day that would tell what and where Napolean was at the time. I really have no interest in Napolean but I bet I would have had I watched this movie.

I think I'm going to put in A Clockwork Orange tonight which is just a complete mind fuck of a movie. The Shining may have been Kubrick's most frightening movie but I think A Clockwork Orange is actually darker.

Anyway, welcome.

FC3000 I pretty much felt the same way with Mother of Tears but reading what Legba thinks about it maybe I was being too harsh. It could have been a case of me overhyping a movie to myself which I do.
brain
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

Have you read his screenplay for Napolean? It's really interesting to see what he had in mind. Oh by the way, you may or may not know this, but someone has uploaded Fear and Desire on you-tube so if you're interested give it a look.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

I just got done with a book entitled, 'Stanley Kubrick Interviews'. It's a compilation of interviews he did throughout the course of his career. The Playboy interview is incredibly interesting and very thought provoking. It came when 2001 had just been released. Most of the interviews about 2001 were interesting.

I haven't read his screenplay for Napolean. I'm curious, of course the film would probably focus on his battle strategies and such but how much sex did it have? I would love to read it myself.

I am going to check out Fear and Desire. I think it would be very interesting to see how it all began with Stanley doing everything himself without any kind of education and just reading books.

Man, my gf does not like Kubrick very much anymore after watching A Clockwork Orange. She felt totally offended by it. It's going to be pretty difficult to get her to watch anything he made although she doesn't think that horribly of The Shining and I can't see her disliking Full Metal Jacket too much. Basically she thinks he's weird and just doesn't get him.

EDIT

I should add that anything that came out of his mouth was interesting. Even answers to the most mundane questions.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:26 pm  Reply with quote

2001 is pretty incredible. Kubrick's apemen kick the shit out of anything in The Planet of the Apes. It still looks as amazing today as I'm sure it did when it came out. The only effect I don't really like in the movie is the starchild. He should have at least made it blink.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't realize it was the 40th anniversary of the Lunar Landing. There's no more a fitting time to watch 2001 than right now. Kubrick fully realized the moon before we had even been there. His moon may have turned out to be more interesting but it still is amazing what he and Arthur C. Clarke came up with. I've never read the subsequent Clarke novels. Actually the only things I've ever read of his were short stories for some reason. I guess the book is much different than the movie since Kubrick changed the screenplay so much after Clarke had stopped working on it with him. I'd like to actually read them some day.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

I always wonder why we got to the moon and stopped. I was sure we would have at least been to Mars by now. It's interesting that some scientists believe that Jupiter's moons are constructs created by a civilization that needed to escape the surface of a dying planet. I had dreams of this very thing as a kid except it was always Venus and the hollow moons were filled with beautiful, naked women.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:55 pm  Reply with quote

Full Metal Jacket
Written, Produced and Directed by Stanley Kubrick

The 3 vietnam warflicks that all hit around the same time were all very good movies. Who can turn off Platoon when it's on several times a day on cable? Hambuger Hill might be the most obscure but its a damn good movie by its own rights. I watch all three. And of course Apocolypse Now.

I like Full Metal Jacket so much because despite these othyer movies Kubrick just did his own thing.

The bootcamp in the movie is the truest to real life bootcamp it caqn bee. Except they fucked with us a whole helluva lot more. Its also inevitable there is a Pyle in every company. No doubt about it.

Ermey was outstanding. Goodthing Kubrick decided to fire the man who was supposed to play him and made Ermey, who was Kubrick's military advisor.

Even as hard core as they make it seem sometime my experience with not one but two hard ass drill instructors fucked us up way more than that movie made it out to be.

My favorite part is when they get to that town. Kubrick had found it in England and they were going to blow it up. Kubrick got approval to film there and for 2 weeks they brought in wrecking balls to give the place that bombed out shell look to it. And it looks brilliant.

Animal Mother is awesome (Who says the Baldwins suck)

Anyway, this is very much a different kind of war movie from those other 3 previously mentioned.

I love it! i ALSO LOOK REALLY BAD WITH NO HAIR. The most traumatizing part of it all to mu. My beautiful mullet that the chicks loved Serious.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, I was pretty under the influence when I made that last post. Fuck it.

I picked up Arthur C Clarkes, 2001,2010 and 2061. I'll have to look around for 3001.

I also picked up 2010 on Blu and watched it. It's a pretty great sequel to an amazing movie. Must have been pretty daunting to take that on. Kubrick destroyed everything he made for 2001 so it could never be reused in any other science fiction movie so they had to recreate the Discovery from watching the movie. They did a damn good job. Watching them a week apart I couldn't tell any difference.

2010 definitely stands with 2001 as great sci-fi films in film history.