FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> First Trailer For Whip It! - Drew Barrymore's Directorial De
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:01 am  Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cA2ngjW0YQ

Here's the synopsis...

Drew Barrymore makes her directorial debut with Whip It!, the story of an ex-beauty pageant contestant named Bliss (played by Juno's Ellen Page) who leaves her crowns behind after joining a roller-derby team. While her mother would prefer that Bliss unlace her skates and step back before the judges, the rebellious teen instead seeks the wisdom of rowdy mentor Malice in Wonderland (Kristen Wiig) in learning the tricks of the circuit track. The Mandate Pictures production was written by roller derby star-turned-screenwriter Shauna Cross.
The Buz
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:41 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

What?! No way!

Ellen Page is playing a smart ass teenager who is rebellious?!

Holy shit, this is huge news.

:p
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:49 am  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
What?! No way!

Ellen Page is playing a smart ass teenager who is rebellious?!

Holy shit, this is huge news.

:p

*clutches hand to nonexistent earpiece*

Bit of breaking news here...I'm being told water's wet and the sky is blue. More on this as it develops.

Mr. Green

Methinks she's destined to become typecast unless she starts branching out into other genres. Her next movie, Peacock, is a thriller. But we already saw her in a dramatic element in Hard Candy. I don't know...maybe she'll always be hipster kid in every role she plays.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:44 am  Reply with quote

Oh my God. I can't believe people are trying to even remotely compare this to Juno. I've seen her in Hard Candy, An American Crime, Smart People and XMEN 3 and none of the roles are similar other than she plays around the same age group. This looks to be no different.
The Buz
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:11 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Oh my God. I can't believe people are trying to even remotely compare this to Juno. I've seen her in Hard Candy, An American Crime, Smart People and XMEN 3 and none of the roles are similar other than she plays around the same age group. This looks to be no different.

in Smart People she plays a smartass teen who is rather smarter than her Juno/everything else counter parts. And a bit more creepy, with the whole wanting to bang her uncle. Still the same old Ellen Page though.

Xmen 3 she didn't really have much to do except run through some walls and get yelled at Vinnie Jones, who is the Juggernaut, bitch....apparently.

An American Crime I have not seen so I can't argue that one, and I hear she is actually quite good in that.

As for Hard Candy, don't get me worng, I think she is amazing in that movie. However, she is still a teenager who is smarter than your average one, who has a hard on for big smartass words, and a rebellious nature. She hasn't stop playing this character.
Legba
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

No offense guys, but she kinda takes it to a different extreme in Hard Candy.
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:36 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Legba wrote:
No offense guys, but she kinda takes it to a different extreme in Hard Candy.

I agree she's a deadly smartass, but a smartass teen none the less.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

An American Crime is a must see and is a helluva lot different than any role she's ever played. I figure though she is going to be doing pretty much the same thing until she gets older. That I can't wait to see. I enjoy the hell out of watching her myself.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

The Tracey Fragments is the only movie of hers I haven't liked that I've seen yet. Or rather tried to see but turned it off after about half an hour. It is not a typical movie and is completely biizarre. If anyone has seen it and can tell me what it's supposed to be I'd appreciate it.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:33 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
The Tracey Fragments is the only movie of hers I haven't liked that I've seen yet. Or rather tried to see but turned it off after about half an hour. It is not a typical movie and is completely biizarre. If anyone has seen it and can tell me what it's supposed to be I'd appreciate it.

Isn't it supposed to be pretentious?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:48 pm  Reply with quote

FilmCritic3000 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

Isn't it supposed to be pretentious?

You got me. I couldn't say what it's even about.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:09 am  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:

in Smart People she plays a smartass teen who is rather smarter than her Juno/everything else counter parts. And a bit more creepy, with the whole wanting to bang her uncle. Still the same old Ellen Page though.

There's way more vulnerability to her character in Smart People that Juno, though. She's also much more insecure. She is drawn to playing smart characters, but I hardly find it to be her repeating herself.

Quote:
As for Hard Candy, don't get me worng, I think she is amazing in that movie. However, she is still a teenager who is smarter than your average one, who has a hard on for big smartass words, and a rebellious nature. She hasn't stop playing this character.

That is utterly ridiculous. Especially when you consider how much you like DiCaprio. Who's idea of playing an adult is horrible facial hair. With rare exception and a horrible accent, he's been playing the same kind of role that can be summed up into a few adjectives to.

Writing off a movie with Page because she shares a few similarities with ONE role, is ridiculous when you think of how many roles great actors have played that are similar.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

I see her movies the same way. To me they've all been different roles. I can't take my eyes off of her.