FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Adventureland (2009)
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:17 am  Reply with quote

I avoided it at theatres due to it being directed by Greg Mottola who directed Superbad. Unlike what seems like the rest of the world, I didn't think that movie was anything more than OK and tha McLovin' pretty much sucked. So when I saw Adventureland's marketing, I decided to stay away. And apparently so did the rest of the world because this movie tanked. Well, I can safely safely say that the marketing for this movie is completely to blame for it's box office disappointment because this movie is nothing like Superbad. It's a much more serious and realistic movie with great performances, interesting characters and story.

Jesse Eisenberg plays James who, after finding out his father has been transferred to a lower paying job, must take a job at Adventureland which is a low rent version a Six Flags. There he meets, Em, played by Kristen Stewart and coming of age things happen between the two of them. What I really liked about the story is how Em is a deeply flawed but multi-layered character and for once, the misunderstanding is actually the girl's fault instead of the guy's.

Anyway, yes the movie has humor but this movie plays most of it as natural and less outrageous than that of Superbad's. Also fortunate, this movie takes place in 1987 so there are no "white kid speaking ebonics" garbage that dragged Superbad down a few notches for me. This may not sound like fun for the Superbad crowd, but thankfully this wasn't made for them.

The only negative I can call is the inevitable conclusion which feels like it was there to make the movie more marketable. I would have liked to see the movie end a little messier for the characters since it had some really good groundwork for it and would have been a bit more realistic.

8/10

Last edited by Didn't See It Coming on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:01 am  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Been wanting to see this since it came out, but I missed it when it was in theaters. It was one of those movies that was there one week and quietly dismissed the next.

And I dug Superbad. In fact, that's kind of the gold standard by which I measure all of these Apatow flicks. Mostly because it was the only one of them, besides maybe Observe and Report, that actually caused me physical pain from excessive laughter. Only a handful of movies have ever done that to me ... and, right now, the only other one I can think of, off the top of my head, is South Park.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:11 am  Reply with quote

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
Been wanting to see this since it came out, but I missed it when it was in theaters. It was one of those movies that was there one week and quietly dismissed the next.

And I dug Superbad. In fact, that's kind of the gold standard by which I measure all of these Apatow flicks. Mostly because it was the only one of them, besides maybe Observe and Report, that actually caused me physical pain from excessive laughter. Only a handful of movies have ever done that to me ... and, right now, the only other one I can think of, off the top of my head, is South Park.

Yeah, I only thought it was mildly amusing through most of it with some really funny parts here and there. I much preferred Knocked Up which made me laugh a lot. South Park did make me laugh a lot though.
Daniel
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:36 am  Reply with quote

I guess that I am one of the few who saw this theatrically. I really enjoyed it. I too expected a Superbad-esc comedy, but was pleasantly surprised by what i got. Bill Hader, Kristen Wiig, and Ryan Reynolds each put in great performances.
ajburton29
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:22 am  Reply with quote

I saw this in the theater and loved it.
Hell, I'm from Iowa, and we have an Adventureland in Des Moines that is very much like the park here.
I thought they totally nailed the atmosphere of 1987, and I must own the soundtrack.
And I laughed out loud everytime Jesse Eisenberg got punched in the balls. I knew a guy who used to go around doing that to everyone.
MeAndMyMeatCleaver
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Great film

And filmed at Kennywood, my hometown amusement park - just east of Pittsburgh!
Made me wanna go so bad - seeing so many great rides and memories there.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

I cannot stand Jonah Hill. He's like an unfunny, much more obnoxious version of Cartman. If Cartman were real that is. I'm pretty sick of Apatow's pop-culture reference humor too. The trailer for Funny People was laden with it.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:27 am  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
I cannot stand Jonah Hill. He's like an unfunny, much more obnoxious version of Cartman. If Cartman were real that is.

I'm guessing the "connection" here would be the mention of Superbad?

Quote:
I'm pretty sick of Apatow's pop-culture reference humor too. The trailer for Funny People was laden with it.

As long as it's funny, which it is, I'm OK with it.
The Buz
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:36 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Watched this the other night. I'm saddened that this didn't do better. What a wonderfully enjoyable film. Great performances from all cast members, especially Martin Starr.

And I loved that there really wasn't a bad guy. Collen I suppose would be the antagonist, but he wasn't evil or malicious, he was just as fucked up as the main characters.

And holy shit Kristen Stewart can act! Very well too. She was amazing in this movie.

While I do wish they would have gone with a messier ending, it was nice to wrap it up and see our characters happy. Even if it isn't as real as reality, that's why I watch movies, to escape that reality sometimes. Always nice to have a little hope.

In any case, great flick. Highly recommend this!
X-Count
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

I'll most likely see this when it comes out on video due to the fact that it was shot in Kennywood, which I was at yesterday. I just wish they'd stop moving the damn rides around. They just threw another one in Lost Kennywood this year. And why'd they chop down the tress between the Log Jammer and Racer? The trees between both rides is what made the Log Jammer kinda peaceful. I will say that the Thunderbolt was shitty yesterday. I've never seen that thing be so jerky. Maybe they need to do some repairs on it perhaps.

Anyways, back to the movie. It looked decent from the TV spots I seen earlier this year. I'll also probably see cause Kristen Stewart seems to have the right kind of stoner charm. Laughing Can't resist that.