FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> The Hurt Locker (2009)
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

This is easily one of the best war films I've ever seen. It's the story of a Bomb Squad in Iraq during the last month of their rotation. It's incredibly well-made. Intense, well acted, written and shot in cinéma vérité style. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who is interested.

10/10

Last edited by Didn't See It Coming on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Foywonder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:23 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
This is easily one of the best war films I've ever seen. It's the story of a Bomb Squad in Iraq during the last month of their rotation. It's incredibly well-made. Intense, well acted and written shot in cinéma vérité style. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who is interested.

10/10

Now we can agree on something. Though I'd give it more of an 8/10 due to a few moments of meandering.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:02 pm  Reply with quote

Foywonder wrote:
This is easily one of the best war films I've ever seen. It's the story of a Bomb Squad in Iraq during the last month of their rotation. It's incredibly well-made. Intense, well acted and written shot in cinéma vérité style. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who is interested.

10/10

Now we can agree on something. Though I'd give it more of an 8/10 due to a few moments of meandering.

Without giving away spoilers, which moments? I felt the pacing was one of the film's strongest qualities.
Foywonder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:19 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Foywonder wrote:

10/10

Without giving away spoilers, which moments? I felt the pacing was one of the film's strongest qualities.

Meandering wasn't the right word. Just felt like a couple scenes lingered on a bit longer. I can't think of any off the top of my head that stood out. Minor quiibbles for an otherwise really good film.
Cartoon Autopsy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:21 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds good to me. It's been a while since I've seen a war film that I actually liked.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:04 am  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Saw this a couple of days ago. It is a great movie, and I really wish it would get a wider release, so more people could see it ... but 'one of the best war films ever made'? (And this ain't just a stab at your opinion of the film, DSIC - I've heard a couple of people making similar claims) I doubt it.

I'd have to watch it a couple more times and really weigh it out in my head before going and saying a thing like that. I mean, that's putting it in a league with Paths of Glory, Apocalypse Now, Saving Private Ryan, etc ... and I'm just not sure it's quite up to that caliber.

Major points, though, for Bigelow's decision to give both 'name' actors in the movie such limited screen time. Keeps the budget down, I'm sure, but it's also sort of a slap in the face of the traditional Hollywood formula, and I like that a lot.

If I were the kind of guy to give numerical ratings to films, I'd probably give this an 8 or 9 out of ten. Leaning towards 8.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:27 am  Reply with quote

Saving Private Ryan has a great beginning and end...The middle, not so much.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
Saw this a couple of days ago. It is a great movie, and I really wish it would get a wider release, so more people could see it ... but 'one of the best war films ever made'? (And this ain't just a stab at your opinion of the film, DSIC - I've heard a couple of people making similar claims) I doubt it.

I'd have to watch it a couple more times and really weigh it out in my head before going and saying a thing like that. I mean, that's putting it in a league with Paths of Glory, Apocalypse Now, Saving Private Ryan, etc ... and I'm just not sure it's quite up to that caliber.

To clarify, I said "best I've ever seen", which makes it a much more personal statement than a blanket one. Secondly, I'm a fan of neither Saving Private Ryan nor Apocalypse Now. Both have excellent moments, Ryan's being it's beginning and end, and Now's first 2 acts. But I felt like they were both bloated. Third, I haven't seen paths of glory.

Ryan's middle section of the film is boring and ultimately predictable because I knew the entire time they weren't going to find the real Ryan until the end. So it felt like the entire mid-section dragged to an inevitable conclusion.

Now's 3rd act took me right out of the movie. I felt it was over done and pretentious.

I loved The Hurt Locker because it wasn't about the war, but the guys in the war. Not saying those other films you mentioned don't have that, but I prefer the story and characters in The Hurt Locker. I love that war is a drug for James and I love how they zip through his home life because it's completely boring to him. He needs war. Yes, I've seen that kind of thing before, but it resonated with me much more here.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:52 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Saving Private Ryan is by no means flawless, but that opening sequence alone is enough to rank it top 5 I've ever seen, easily.

Apocalypse Now is just fucking epic. I love everything about it. Even that third act. It's just so fucking crazy and overblown when taken as a whole, I can't really think of anything else to compare it to. Then, you take into account all the shit Coppola went through in production and it just makes you )or, rather, me) appreciate it all the more. Granted, I don't sit down and watch it very often, given the run time.

You should definitely check out Paths of Glory, as soon as possible. Netflix that shit if you have an account.

I will give you that The Hurt Locker is, without a doubt, the best film I've yet seen about THIS war. In the Valley of Elah also comes to mind, although that's not necessarily so much a war movie as a movie about the effects of war.
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:13 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Uh, Malachi you forgot some really important war films. While I agree with you that those are excellent films, I honestly think that there are even better than that.

The Great Escape
The Longest Day
The Thin Red Line

and my personal favorite war movie of all time that no movie will ever top:

Patton.

And of course honorable mentions go to Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, Empire of the Sun, and of course The Dirty Fucking Dozen.

I can't wait to see this movie by the way, it looks excellent!
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:02 am  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Definitely should've mentioned Full Metal Jacket. And the Dirty Dozen.

I don't know if I'd put Empire of the Sun in any sort of Top 10. It's good, sure ... but it's less a war movie than it is a prison movie. Same with Great Escape, really - although I do love the hell out of that one. It's just more in line with The Shawshank Redemption or Escape From Alcatraz than it is with something like Full Metal.

I haven't seen Platoon in its entirety since I was probably 7 or 8 years old, and have never seen The Longest Day, Thin Red Line, or Patton. Yes, I'm slacking.

This thread's got me thinking, though. Can anybody name a good Civil War movie that isn't Glory? I'm drawing a blank. I fell asleep during Gettysburrg when they showed it to us in school, Cold Mountain sucked, and I can't think of another one that takes place in the same time frame and isn't a western.

Also - two recent honorable mentions that come to mind are Rescue Dawn (again, more of a prison movie, though) and Enemy at the Gates - which is underrated as all hell.
Legba
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:19 am  Reply with quote

I've sorta fallen in love with many of the 50s Westerns, which has led me to watching a lot of earlier War films too. Many actors and directors crossed over. Having a grandfather that fought in War War II, I've really been diggin' those, but there's plenty out there. My favorite are.

Duck Soup
MASH
Battleground
The Story Of G.I. Joe
Attack
To Hell and Back
Little Dieter Needs To Fly
Pork Chop Hill
The Great Dictator
Lifeboat
The Buz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:30 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Pork Chop Hill! Good choice sir.

And how the fuck did I forget MASH? That movie is amazing.

Malachi, you absolutely NEED to see Patton. That movie can make boys into men. George C Scott is such a bad ass it's not even funny.

As for Civil War movies, I rather enjoy Gettysburg quite a bit. But you got Gone with the Wind, and The Good Bad, and the Ugly (I don't give a fuck what anyone says, the war is featured VERY prominently throughout that movie. )
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:55 am  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Legba wrote:
Duck Soup

Fuck. Yes.

I'll allow it.

And yeah, I thought about listing The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, but that movie exists in a kind of a grey area, there. To me, it's the greatest western ever made. Period. If we're gonna name it as a war movie, it'd automatically be one of the greatest war movies ever made. That's how much I fucking love that movie.

I'll make it a point to check out Patton next time it airs on one of my movie channels. Been meaning to see it ever since I found out, a couple of months ago, that Coppola wrote the screenplay.
The Buz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:48 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
Legba wrote:
Duck Soup

Fuck. Yes.

I'll allow it.

And yeah, I thought about listing The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, but that movie exists in a kind of a grey area, there. To me, it's the greatest western ever made. Period. If we're gonna name it as a war movie, it'd automatically be one of the greatest war movies ever made. That's how much I fucking love that movie.

I'll make it a point to check out Patton next time it airs on one of my movie channels. Been meaning to see it ever since I found out, a couple of months ago, that Coppola wrote the screenplay.

It features one of the greatest lines of dialogue ever.

"Mr. Patton, do you read the bible?"

"Every Goddamn day."