FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:24 pm  Reply with quote

Megan Fox is the human equivalent of a Michael Bay movie. She's easy on the eyes, and when you see her you stop caring about her shortcomings.

Saw it. LOVED it. I'll openly admit that I turn into a little kid who is easily amused when I watch Bay movies. This is no different. The plot is nothing more than an excuse for robot mayhem and that's fine since the robot mayhem is why I went to see this. It delivers on that front in spades. Anyone who complained about the scenes being incoherent the last time won't have the same complaint here. We see everything in it's glory.

Yes, the movie is a mess of over and under plotting at the same time and if you want that more than awesome FX and explosions out of this movie then don't bother. Me? I knew exactly what I wanted and was getting and this movie delivered.

There are some really BAD things that stick out which would be the Twin Transformers who were fucking horrible and completely unfunny, but thankfully they're only on screen for small doses. And while Megan Fox is definitely hot, she's a really bad actress. There are so many new Transformers that they don't really stand out. But they blow up and get ripped apart real good so I can only complain so much.

I'm not even going to bother explaining the plot because it's ridiculous beyond words but like I said, I didn't go for the plot. Plus bonus points for the Constructicons and ultimately Devestator.

This movie is like Burger King, it's not good for you at all, but it tastes fucking great.

On a pure entertainment level I give this movie a 10. But the Twins cost it 2 whole points.

8/10

Last edited by Didn't See It Coming on Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rottenjesus
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:09 am  Reply with quote

These Michael Bay giant robot movies are the (rather expensive) equivalent to the Japanese giant monster movies of old. The plot is there just enough to get the two (or more) monsters to fight and cause some massive structural damage to the surrounding environment.

I definitely didn't see a glowing review coming from you man but it's nice to see we're on the same page from time to time. Smile

Can't wait to see this now!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:22 am  Reply with quote

I might take my friend's kid to it because he likes that kind of stuff and I'm a good guy, but if were up to me I'd skip it altogether. The first one was just painful to sit through and I doubt this one will be any better. The thing is I'm almost jealous of you. To go and see these kinds of movies with child-like wonderment and ignore all the ridiculousness is something that I'm admittedly lacking. Well who knows, if we can actually SEE whats going on this time it might be fun. Just gotta turn off the brain for two hours.

As a side note, Fox has absolutely no weight in me seeing this or not. She's a nice pair of tits, but that's about it. She's not a deal maker by any means.
Sirand
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:25 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The first Transformers was one of the most unbearable experiences I've ever had in a theater. Lemme guess: This one has more juvenile Disney jokes, racist stereotypes and badly done action sequences - all stretched out to an unbearable length, right? I think I'd rather take a power saw to my taint.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:25 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
The first Transformers was one of the most unbearable experiences I've ever had in a theater. Lemme guess: This one has more juvenile Disney jokes, racist stereotypes and badly done action sequences - all stretched out to an unbearable length, right? I think I'd rather take a power saw to my taint.

Disney jokes, some, but there is some really crude humor here. Racial stereotypes? Yep, but all the action is done incredibly well. Like I said, he lets you actually SEE the action. Not that I had a problem the last time, but this is a vast improvement.

But then again, if you're not a fan of his of the first movie then the only reason to see this is to bitch about having seen it. Which is incredibly stupid and why I'm not paying to see Zombie's Halloween 2.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:27 am  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
The thing is I'm almost jealous of you. To go and see these kinds of movies with child-like wonderment and ignore all the ridiculousness is something that I'm admittedly lacking.

I can only do this with Bay and Renny Harlin movies. They're good at making junk food cinema.

Quote:
Well who knows, if we can actually SEE whats going on this time it might be fun. Just gotta turn off the brain for two hours.

Like I said, I never had a problem in the first one but this shows you everything.
conundrum
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:36 am  Reply with quote

Despite Megan Fox being in this, I will probably still see it. All the reviews seem to say that it will fix a lot of the problems of the first movie (in the sense of being a movie that is mindlessly full of mindless action that requires no thinking whatsoever). I hear that the hacker girl is gone (worthless subplot), there is FAR more time with the transformers themselves (and I hear this time half of it is actually NOT them just hiding from parents around the edge of windows, but rather doing cool stuff!), and the Fallen being in there has to count for something as far as respecting the fans (at least of the comic).

*sigh* If only Labeouf's character and his parents were removed I would be downright excited.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:50 am  Reply with quote

I'll admit it, the first one was entertaining. Even though there were many cringe worthy moments. I think I'll wait until this comes out on Blu-Ray.

Also, I'd take Salma Hayek over Megan Fox anyday. I prefer women with curves.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:56 am  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:

Also, I'd take Salma Hayek over Megan Fox anyday. I prefer women with curves.

I agree 100%, Megan Fox has a really pretty face.
Foywonder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:01 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Actual conversation I had with a co-worker last week.

HIM: Got my ticket for midnight Tuesday Transformers showing. When are you going.

ME: I'm not going to see it.

HIM: (looking confused by my response) Why not?

ME: Because I saw the first one.

I'm never going to see this movie. I'm never going to believe anyone this movie is worth two shits. The only thing to come from the existence of this garbage are all the venom-fueled negative reviews springing up everywhere even from people that really liked the first one.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:07 am  Reply with quote

I loved the first one and I loved this one.
Foywonder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:46 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Didn't See It Coming wrote:

Now I'm not one to advocate a holocaust, but..." Mr. Green

Last edited by Foywonder on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:50 am  Reply with quote

Foywonder wrote:

[img]Now I'm not one to advocate a holocaust, but..."[/img] Mr. Green

Sorry man, I make no apologies about my love of junk food. I like Burger King and Doritos too.
Foywonder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:00 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Foywonder wrote:

Sorry man, I make no apologies about my love of junk food. I like Burger King and Doritos too.

I like Burger King and Doritos too. But I draw the line at chugging Draino.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:40 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Foywonder wrote:
Foywonder wrote:

I like Burger King and Doritos too. But I draw the line at chugging Draino.

*Shakes Foy's hand*

TF 1 was one of the most gut-wrenching things I've ever had to sit through. And partially it's because I'm a huge Transformers fan, and seeing what they did to them...man, you know the episode of South Park where the boys see Indiana Jones And the Crystal Skull, and they keep dreaming about Lucas and Spielberg raping Indy? That's what I went through. But the biggest problem was how mind-numbing the writing was. It was like being in my own Saw style trap. It felt like I couldn't escape the ridiculously broad characters and stereotypes, the beyond-juvenile humor, and the only way out was to tear my jaw off. Really, the only time the movie got good was the last half-hour, when they show shades of an awesome action movie and the characters start to actually flesh out (the brief Megatron/Starscream exchange was how the characters should have been written). But by then, it was too little, too late.

It may be me getting older, but it's obvious that these Transformers weren't meant for me. And whoever they were meant for, I probably don't want anything to do with them. And this new movie may be worse. And please spare me this whole "it's -a-popcorn-movie-just-shut-your-brain-off" bullshit. I am so sick of people using that as a crutch when a movie is terribly written and plotted. Random explosions are of no use if you loathe the characters in the movie.

Michael Bay, I could not hate you more if it turned out you were just a 100 mini-Hitler clones in a Michael Bay suit.

But hey, upside, Hasbro has been making some cool toys out of it, and they're still making even better Transformers G1 figures now. But that's it.

End rant.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell